Share pet collecting news and advice.
Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us
5.3 changes: the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by Morlis » April 3rd, 2013, 2:50 pm

You can duel (pet battles) with your raid and party members in dungeons and raids.
Don't raid so I don't have a comment on this
Wild battles and duels can be viewed by everyone, not just the participants.
Bad and good, I think wild battles should be left alone, be kind of neat to watch others durring our tournaments though.
There are updates to hit and miss/dodge chances. The base chance to miss or be dodged has been removed in battles between pets of the same level. Additionally, the chance to miss when fighting a higher-level opponent was reduced.
Good, I feel I miss way more than I believe I should, sort of bad though that Tamers pets will also miss less too. :P
The in-game statistics window will now track your max-level matchmaking PVP wins.
No comment, I haven't done any random PVP. Zero is current wins.
The Pet Journal will save your choice of abilities for each pet when you swap them out of your active pet team.
Good, though in reality I have an add-on that does this anyway
Family-specific battle-stones are now BoA.
Good... WAY GOOD :)
The Beasts of Fable daily quest has been broken up into three parts. You can complete any or all of them, and receive up to 3 daily bags per day. Additionally, these dailies will also reward a new consumable that boosts your pet's experience gain for a period of time.
Good, though I am done with collecting panda's I may actually go back to doing these for 3 of the bags.

Okay from the list nothing was ugly (for me at least) but it seemed to flow in the title.

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Aingealwroth
Top Rater
Pet Score:2995
BattleTag®:AingealWroth#1206
Realm:Fenris-us

Re: 5.3 changes: the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by Aingealwroth » April 3rd, 2013, 3:34 pm

Only thing I worry about is lag involved in showing the pet battles and saving the abilities.
I agree that they should likely leave the wild pet battles alone (because who wants some random person, possibly other faction, commenting with emotes about our fight?).
Madoran (Horde-US): Eclectic, Tauren Guardian Druid.
Fenris (Horde-US) 'Main': Miach, Undead Holy/Shadow Priest.

Lillanthia
Pet Score:10555
Realm:Aszune-eu

Post by Lillanthia » April 4th, 2013, 7:07 am

I really hope the "wild battles can be viewed by anyone" means just that. _viewed_ Nothing more.

Why anyone would be interested in watching a random a wild battle, I'm not sure, but if they can offer comments and emotes, that'll potentially stop me doing many. Same reason I've got a brawlers pass and never tried a brawl. Trolls. :)
The other point with that is if they can view, I hope they can choose to stop viewing, before the pet battle ends. Sometimes I'll start a pet battle, than go make coffee, or something to eat, or be chatting in guild chat for a while, knowing there's no timer running.

I have three of the pandas now, and I really like the idea of splitting the Beasts of Fable into three parts. It felt too drawn out to be a single quest with one slim chance at a bag.

And agreed Morlis! Sometimes my Netherwhelp misses 4 attacks in a row, which seems too high, at level 25 against level 23-25 pets.

Kazia
Top Rater
Pet Score:10256
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Kazia » April 4th, 2013, 6:29 pm

•Wild battles and duels can be viewed by everyone, not just the participants
I hope this change has a choice to opt in/opt out as I don't particularly like this at all :(

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » April 5th, 2013, 9:36 am

Lillanthia wrote:I really hope the "wild battles can be viewed by anyone" means just that. _viewed_ Nothing more.

Why anyone would be interested in watching a random a wild battle, I'm not sure, but if they can offer comments and emotes, that'll potentially stop me doing many. Same reason I've got a brawlers pass and never tried a brawl. Trolls. :)
I would imagine that most people will not care about your pet battle and/or tactics as they have better things to be doing. The issue with Brawlers Guild is that they are forced to watch you as they can't do anything else. If you fail on the same boss over and over, then people see it as you holding them up and get trolly.

So I really wouldn't worry, it will only be the odd troll who will hang about trolling pet battlers.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » April 5th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Perhaps I'm just being slow right now but... why does it matter than stones will now be BoA? What benefit do we actually gain from this? Cause I'm not seeing it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » April 5th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Cendir wrote:Perhaps I'm just being slow right now but... why does it matter than stones will now be BoA? What benefit do we actually gain from this? Cause I'm not seeing it.
I don't think there's a direct benefit from this change, but it does help save inventory space since you can relocate all of your extra family-specific stones onto a single character. That is, if you save extra stones though.

I'm going to be glad to have all my stones on just one toon. I won't have to switch back and forth looking for the right one that I need.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » April 5th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Cendir wrote:Perhaps I'm just being slow right now but... why does it matter than stones will now be BoA? What benefit do we actually gain from this? Cause I'm not seeing it.
we can store the stones on alts for future pets.

edit: the rest of the change looks decent (i like how we'll be able to duel in raid downtimes :D) but i'm not very fond of what seems to be a spectator mode. hopefully this will be opt-in.

anyways, looks like i'm going to save my pet daily time from now on. haven't been doing them for a while anyways, they're too much of a timesink at the moment.

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Polynices » April 6th, 2013, 9:53 am

If you're like me and have a different alt parked at each of the daily trainers throughout the world for quick access to pet xp then you also have upgrade stones scattered across a variety of alts for those families where you've already upgraded a bunch and are not sure which to upgrade next. Having all those stones on a single alt would be nice.

Not a huge change, certainly.