From zoologist to poacher

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Whiplash
Pet Score:4909
Realm:Madoran-us
From zoologist to poacher

Post by Whiplash » March 27th, 2013, 9:27 am

I have found that in the last few weeks my pet collecting has transitioned from collecting to obtaining certain cage-able pets to sell, which is the most lucrative thing I can do for the time investment. I'm not sure if that was Blizzard’s design intent, but it feels like a transition from zoologist to poacher.

But I’m probably overanalyzing. I find that my desire for thousands of gold is greater than my moral attachment to pixelated pets. So, back to poaching for big money…

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Re: From zoologist to poacher

Post by Threnody » March 27th, 2013, 8:48 pm

You do realize that the gold is pixelated too, right? :P

But I can relate. I find that I spend more time on AH now, buying and selling pets, than outside capturing them. I do have an excuse -- I just started alts on new servers and selling pets is the only way I can transfer gold to my baby toons.

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » March 27th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I have been buying and selling pets since it started being available.
Grab one, level it, and slap that baby on the AH.
So far, other than uncommons stoned to rares, the Zand(wtfe) raptors have been great for my bankroll.
Before the nerf to drop rate, I bought every one I could find for less than 400 gold, and have been selling them at lvl 10 for 3-4k and lvl 20 for 6-8k.

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » March 28th, 2013, 6:43 am

That's almost solely how I make my gold now. Across 5 servers with Ally and Horde on each. You can do the math on the gold :D People wonder why I do it but why pay x stupid price for pets on my home server when I can get them for half the price on another. Or mounts. Or BMAH pets or mounts. Sure, it's a long term strategy but it's paying off.

It's not for the faint hearted, that's for sure. And an eidetic memory helps lol