Damn! Blizzard removed "Reflection"

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Oldguy » March 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Why don't they just leave things that are working, alone? I don't see this as an "improvement," at all! Every patch nerfs char's more and more. Battle-Pets get nerfed. Glyphs which I've paid for are now obsolete! What the hell? Why? Are they just sadists? Are they just bored and change things merely for the sake of change? I'm discouraged more each patch. Plus, they can't even keep to their 8-hour maintenance period. Soon, they'll decide to make every Tuesday "a day of non-play." :(

Sorry, but I'm just very irritated at the moment.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Re: Damn! Blizzard removed "Reflection"

Post by Formerruling » March 12th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Reflection was only "working" as far as you consider the single best pet ability that is the absolute perfect no drawbacks counter to everything in the game as "working" lol

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » March 12th, 2013, 1:50 pm

You know initially I felt the same way. I really liked reflection because it was just cool to adopt one of your opponent's abilities. Strategically, it was also really useful in game play.

That being said, I actually find deflection to be pretty useful too. The damage mitigation factor is still there. And for Anubisath Idol, in conjunction with Sandstorm, it actually is pretty good and I'm finding myself using the pet more than I did pre 5.2.

I will miss reflection though. There are some pets that achieve the same function using two turns, but I haven't found them to be too useful or worth the extra turn.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 12th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Deflect wich replaces Reflect is just fine - sure you dont do dmg anymore without but you can now cancel MORE big hits as the cd went from 5 to 3 rounds! :D

Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Oldguy » March 12th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Well, I have less than 1 hour before I can play again and try it [edited: UNLESS they change their downtime, again!]. My rant was based upon what I read in their changes; it just didn't seem fair to take away something that, for me, worked pretty good. Generally, I could "time" when the opponent was going to use one of their more powerful skills against me, so reflection always made me giggle as they yelled outloud after being whacked (by their own attack!). heh heh

Thanks for all the replies.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 12th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Reflection had an awful lot of bugs, Im quite enjoying the new Deflection. Especially that it goes first, meaning you dont have to rely on super high speed to pull of a dodge and or second guessing your opponent, and the lowered cd makes it available more often.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 12th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Luciandk wrote:Reflection had an awful lot of bugs, Im quite enjoying the new Deflection. Especially that it goes first, meaning you dont have to rely on super high speed to pull of a dodge and or second guessing your opponent, and the lowered cd makes it available more often.
Only problem I have is that it won't block moves like surge unless the idol is faster.

Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Ceathra » March 12th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Livingdeath wrote:You know initially I felt the same way. I really liked reflection because it was just cool to adopt one of your opponent's abilities. Strategically, it was also really useful in game play.

That being said, I actually find deflection to be pretty useful too. The damage mitigation factor is still there. And for Anubisath Idol, in conjunction with Sandstorm, it actually is pretty good and I'm finding myself using the pet more than I did pre 5.2.

I will miss reflection though. There are some pets that achieve the same function using two turns, but I haven't found them to be too useful or worth the extra turn.
"Dark Simulacrum" adopts one of your opponent's abilities, reflect was OP and Deflection is a good replacement for it without being completely useless.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » March 12th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Reflection was fun, Deflection is a boring block like several other abilities.

There are so many ways they could have made Reflection less OP.

1. Increased CD
2. Only does Half Damage
3. Only blocks Half Damage
4. Diminishing returns

Also it wasn't very OP.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 12th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Reflection was too good. What other moves could both block and return a 2 turn power move in the same round?

Zedxrgal
Pet Score:2766
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Zedxrgal » March 12th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I greatly miss reflection. It was hilarious to see my little flayer perform swarm or something along those lines. The talent will be very much missed in my eyes.

Deflection .............. kind of on the fence about still.

Formerruling

Post by Formerruling » March 12th, 2013, 9:46 pm

The problem with original reflection is it literally had no drawback, no matter what cirsumstances you always at worst got a 1 for 1 return, with the possibility of much greater return, 1 for 4 ( meaning costs 1 round and potentially gets you 4 rounds advantage).

Taurnek22
Top Rater
Pet Score:2460
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Taurnek22 » March 13th, 2013, 12:42 am

Luciandk wrote:Especially that it goes first, meaning you dont have to rely on super high speed to pull of a dodge ...

Deflection attempts to go first. I have had several Deflection attempts not go first. Wicked frustrating as the opponent gets the hit and then my shield comes up. Wasting my turn and making my Flayer Youngling look incredibly dumb.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » March 13th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Luciandk wrote:Reflection was too good. What other moves could both block and return a 2 turn power move in the same round?
That was probably a bug. From what I've seen it was supposed to return 1 round of damage unless it applied a dot.

And yes there was one drawback. If the opponent healed, buffed, used an avoidance abilitiy you wasted a round.

Other possible Nerfs:

5. Not always first.
6. Don't apply dots, just do the damage of the dot for 1 round.

Formerruling

Post by Formerruling » March 13th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Spyro wrote:
Luciandk wrote:Reflection was too good. What other moves could both block and return a 2 turn power move in the same round?
That was probably a bug. From what I've seen it was supposed to return 1 round of damage unless it applied a dot.

And yes there was one drawback. If the opponent healed, buffed, used an avoidance abilitiy you wasted a round.

Other possible Nerfs:

5. Not always first.
6. Don't apply dots, just do the damage of the dot for 1 round.
He meant abilities like Dive that take 2 rounds or Geyser that takes 3, but Reflection can dodge and apply that damage to the opponent in 1 round. Which meant you pretty much couldn't use abilities like Elementium Bolt because he could be swapped in to not only dodge the damage like many other pets, but reflect it back to you, so your 3-5 rounds of setup for burst dmg was not only blocked, but bursts YOU instead.

Also the original Reflection could "steal" heals, etc (Was removed in last patch), meaning unless the opponent pretty much Passed anyway, it never was a wasted move.

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Tadedra » March 16th, 2013, 6:00 am

Reflection Awesomeness:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64702738@N05/8432798276/

It was a very fun affect to use and watch. I agree that there were many many ways to counter or not be affected by the attack in pvp, pve though was awesome to watch.