Disappointed with Beasts of Fable

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Seeweda
Pet Score:3245
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Re: Disappointed with Beasts of Fable

Post by Seeweda » March 7th, 2013, 5:14 pm

I agree these guys are way too easy except may the turtle with his shield and healing ability takes a little while. I am also disappointed in the lack of variety I think it was 4 water, 4 beasts and 2 critters if I remember right. No Flying, Humanoid, Mechanical, Magic or Dragonkin elites.

Having to do all 10 for the daily sucks too, I did the first quest then got the daily saw that and just gave up and went and did something else, it's a little defeating. I don't have an hour to spend on 1 daily, with the low xp and the travel distance you should be guaranteed a random stone each time, I didn't get anything but lesser charms.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » March 7th, 2013, 6:24 pm

I actually came on to voice my concern over how underwhelming all the fabled beasts were. Instead of fighting Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, I felt like I was fighting Jacque and Gus Gus from Cinderella. They hit hard, but I just used the standard advantage/disadvantage set ups I have used on other teams. I think I had a little trouble on the Kafi, the goat, but by the time I got to him I wasn't even trying, so I may not have had a good strat, or got unlucky on dodges or something.

As others have said, I easily solo/duo'ed all of them, I think I had 2 fights that even ate into my third pet.

On a positive note, the XP from pets battles for your toon is pretty impressive. On the scale of a quest turn in, so going to a location where you can burn through a lot of pets fast, like the Dragonblight Dragonbone Hatchlings could net you some serious character XP fast. I took a non 90 to a couple of the fabled pets, and fought a couple of times, and was getting a nice bit of XP.
mykro9#1585

Basti
MVP
Pet Score:3493
BattleTag®:Delubyo#1445
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Basti » March 7th, 2013, 8:24 pm

This daily quest is so disappointing I wanted to cry LOL! Why on earth would they also put these 10 pets in the farthest reaches of Pandaria? I spend more time flying than actually fighting them. 10 battles that take about an hour or so to complete... for a single bag that contains... junk? I know that the bag has a chance to drop the other 3 pets but I am not even motivated to do this daily quest again. I'd rather spend that one hour posting tradeable pets at AH, earn the gold and just buy the other 3 new pandas.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 7th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Mykro9 wrote:They hit hard, but I just used the standard advantage/disadvantage set ups I have used on other teams.
You have almost 150 pets at level 25. You were able to tailor your team to each one. So it was easy for you (as it was for me). Its not going to be a challenge for us. Try doing it and restricting yourself to, let's say less than 10, level 25's to choose from as many people doing it will have. It will be much harder for you.

If they made it super-hard for us, it would likely be too hard to the point of discouraging for most people that set out to do it. That would not be a positive.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » March 7th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Poofah wrote:The bonus damage vs pet type is a lazy rock/paper/scissors-type method of making sure that every pet has a counter. Within that system, it's inevitable that a single Rock (no matter how big) will get countered by 3x paper. Removing that type advantage would make countering the epic pet's abilities a lot more relevant (as opposed to simply countering its type).
Maybe not remove that advantage, but account for it at least. Imagine if the beast-type opponents each had some type of elemental attack that could one-shot the mechanical pet you put up against it.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » March 8th, 2013, 6:04 am

I came here to complain about this underwhelming new addition to Pet Battles, but I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse, so here's some constructive suggestions;

Daily Quest
I think I'd prefer a system where each beast gives a daily quest (similar to spirit tamers). Reduce the drop chance of panda pets/stones to reflect the extra chances. This means we can pick up a few of the low-hanging fruit en route to Thunderland portal, or invest the full amount of time going to every pet.

Alternatively, have a rotating daily to kill one of more or them for the credit, rather than killing ALL of them EVERY day.

XP Multiplier
I understand Mumper when he says these battles aren't intended to power level your stable, but those of us who've been hitting the same 12+4 trainers for bags for months were hoping these pets would be an attractive replacement. Maybe a compromise with a smaller multiplier than the other trainers for your first battle of the day?

Or here's a left-field suggestion - chance for each won battle to drop a brand new item that gives +3000 pet xp, used in a similar way to the battle stones. That's a real incentive.

Battle Stones
I'd love these new beasts of fable to be seen as the most efficient way to get battle stones, but so far it seems it's One major chance a day if you do All of the things. Even with a 60% drop rate on the bags, I'd rather do the other 12 bag-dropping dailies, at least there's a chance of multiple stones. I've got two of the fable bags, one had no stone, the other had a (useless to me) Undead stone. Ok that's completey anecdotal, but I don't think I'm alone in saying it's currently underwhelming.

Do the beasts themselves have an increased chance to drop a battle stone after each battle? If so, that's a positive move, (especially if they're dropping beast/critter/aquatic stones respectively) but I've seen nothing to suggest that's the case.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 8th, 2013, 7:20 am

Gilneas wrote:You have almost 150 pets at level 25. You were able to tailor your team to each one.
This is so Bulls - you kill all legendary pets with ie Sprite Darter Hatchling & Harbinger of Flame.
The Key abilities are Life Exchange & Impale and you 2 pet every of the "legendaries"...

yes Im disappointed and think they shouldnt have been labeled "Legendary" in the first place...

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 8th, 2013, 7:41 am

Gromagrim wrote:Do the beasts themselves have an increased chance to drop a battle stone after each battle? If so, that's a positive move, (especially if they're dropping beast/critter/aquatic stones respectively) but I've seen nothing to suggest that's the case.
According to Mumper the Elites themselves don't have an increased chance for stones.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 8th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Drudatz wrote:This is so Bulls - you kill all legendary pets with ie Sprite Darter Hatchling & Harbinger of Flame.
The Key abilities are Life Exchange & Impale and you 2 pet every of the "legendaries"...

yes Im disappointed and think they shouldnt have been labeled "Legendary" in the first place...
No, that's a problem with those abilities, not with the elite pets. They should have been made to not work or be less effective against the elite pets (and probably will be if enough people start abusing them for this).

Godmyster

Post by Godmyster » March 8th, 2013, 4:56 pm

is it me or am i the only one having a hard time killing the beasts of fable? im also having a hard time killing the 4 spirit tamers, i have a few at level 25 for example:

jade owl - uncommon
leopard tree frog - uncommon
yellow-bellied bullfrog - rare
Pheonix Hatchling - rare
Pandaren Monk - rare
Cockroach - rare
Clockwork Gnome - rare

If there is any you think would help me i might have some but there lower leveled though i have a little over 150.

Mckinley18
Pet Score:1924
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Mckinley18 » March 9th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Has anyone else noticed weird stat changes during that fights that don't correlate to an ability used. Like during every fight I do with ti'un occasionally when he does the wave I loose half my speed on that pet and on gore spine I was noticing he has spikes in strength. A couple others did it to

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 10th, 2013, 12:01 am

Mckinley18 wrote:Has anyone else noticed weird stat changes during that fights that don't correlate to an ability used. Like during every fight I do with ti'un occasionally when he does the wave I loose half my speed on that pet and on gore spine I was noticing he has spikes in strength. A couple others did it to
Does it have to do with the Racial abilities?

Gorespine is a Beast, IIRC - at half health, he increases his damage.
And Flying pets are double speed over 50% health - so you basically become half as fast at half health.
ImageImage

Mckinley18
Pet Score:1924
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Mckinley18 » March 10th, 2013, 10:53 am

Gendou wrote:Does it have to do with the Racial abilities?

Gorespine is a Beast, IIRC - at half health, he increases his damage.
And Flying pets are double speed over 50% health - so you basically become half as fast at half health.
Your probably right I forgot about the family bonuses

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » March 11th, 2013, 9:43 am

Gilneas wrote:
Drudatz wrote:This is so Bulls - you kill all legendary pets with ie Sprite Darter Hatchling & Harbinger of Flame.

No, that's a problem with those abilities, not with the elite pets. They should have been made to not work or be less effective against the elite pets (and probably will be if enough people start abusing them for this).
This isn't a case I don't think of "everyone disappointed just has 75+ lvl25s so can easily type advantage or use specific pets for specific strategies (ala Life Exchange)"....It's simply a case of the beasts being badly designed. Simply having x3 the health doesn't make them harder than normal wild pets, just makes the battle longer.

Example: I had no special strategy pets or pets with strong beast attacks leveled, so for the critters I just used from lvl22-23 spiders I had caught, didn't bother leveling to 25, just used um in the same condition I caught them in, and they wrecked the critters.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » March 11th, 2013, 2:57 pm

I actually quit doing the dailies; just too much time for too little reward. The battlestone is not even guaranteed from doing the new 5.2 daily, that blows my mind.

Dunno, hate to be negative..just not seeing a lot of reason to even do these dailies now I guess.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » March 11th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Not really if combine them to your tamer daily tour (assuming you do them of course).
I still think its alot of flying even if you do the most efficient of planning.

They should give an achievement to anyone who keeps doing these dailies after they get all 4 panda's

Call it, the PET MASOCHIST, or something like that.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 11th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Badpathing wrote:I actually quit doing the dailies; just too much time for too little reward. The battlestone is not even guaranteed from doing the new 5.2 daily, that blows my mind.
I decided to do the Pandaria dailies today along with the Beasts of Fable.
I used prebuilt teams in PetBattle Teams, never lost, and used the most direct route between tamers (with Master flying).
It took me right around two hours to complete the rounds.

For my troubles, I got a single undead stone (to join the five others rotting in my bank).
I know, I know - RNG can be a horrible, horrible bitch. But still... That's not right.

Just sitting and fishing gives better rewards than this, and at least I can read or something while I do that.

There need to be better, less-random rewards for doing the Beasts. Adding them to the rounds doubles the time it takes to do Pandaria pet battles, and doing all of them nets you a single bag with random contents. That's just silly.

I tweeted my discontent at Mumper after I got done, but with the SwarmLaunch tonight, I doubt he'll see it.
ImageImage

Waveryn
Pet Score:13698
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » March 12th, 2013, 5:38 am

Gendou wrote:
Badpathing wrote: For my troubles, I got a single undead stone (to join the five others rotting in my bank).

I tweeted my discontent at Mumper after I got done, but with the SwarmLaunch tonight, I doubt he'll see it.
They need to add a vendor we can trade stone for stone even trade or something to get needed ones. I hope Mumpher sees the tweet or reads here, I get the feeling they rushed the fabled or something, one pet a day or maybe 3 a day for a bag would be good.
Wave

Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Ceathra » March 12th, 2013, 11:26 am

Rimsala wrote:I had trouble with Dos-Ryas and the Gorefiend guy.
Nitun is being a little mo-fo >.> I can't seem to beat this f-face son of a woman with no virtue

That Nitun is the New Payne fight in this expansion. Maybe you just got super lucky with killing it, or do share your pet roster for killing it.
It seems to take less damage, dodge my attacks, and heal itsself each time it kills my pets.

my team is Cat, Tiny Harvester and Spiny Lizard. (currently) trying to kill the F-face.
I also tried Gyphon Hatchling from Twilight Highlands, Brillient Kalri, andCrow
I brought up Darkness ad used nocturnal strike (annoyingly enough he dodges the strike)
I also tried that gyphon, Crow and Anubsith. The Gyphon i called Baldy so i always refer to it as Baldy lol.
I've been going with:
Kai-Lun Runt - Use his Bite and Rampage (Beast Abilities) and Frost Shock. I set him to Rampage, then Bite. Usually takes out 50% of Nituns life before he dies.
Imperial Eagle Chick - Thrash/Adrenaline Rush/Lift Off Once Nitun gets the Eagle to below 50% Health hit Adrenaline Rush to keep Thrash getting the extra attack. Use Lift off whenever it's up to mitigate damage. He usually manages to kill Nitun off.
Wolvar Pup - Bite/Frenzyheart/Maul Usually one Maul is all it takes if I get to the Wolvar in my rotation.

You could replace the Wolvar with your Harvester with Thrash and Overtune if you need to, but the Runt and Wolvar take less damage from critter abilities, so they can last longer.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 12th, 2013, 11:47 am

I made 3 teams... one for each legendary family.

Critter: Stunted Yeti, Flayer Youngling and Kun-Lai Runt
Aquatic: Amber Moth, Luyu Moth and Yellow Moth
Beast: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Anodized Robo Cub and Darkmoon Tonk

Each team works just fine for each legendary pet type... though some take all 3 pets and others I take out with just 1 or 2.