MoP and Celestial Dragon

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kerfanna
Pet Score:2124
Realm:Dalaran-us
MoP and Celestial Dragon

Post by Kerfanna » April 15th, 2012, 9:12 pm

I was talking to a couple of guildies tonight in chat after one of them got the 100 pet achievement about how it would be easier to get the Celestial Dragon when Mists comes out because the pets will be bind on account and they are adding so many more. One of them mentioned they hoped the achievement would be removed because with so many new pets they would feel cheated, since they had to work harder to get the dragon.

Is there any news on whether this achievement (or just the reward) is going to be removed or turned in to a Feat of Strength? I'm 8 pets away on my pet collector and I'll definitely start working harder to get it if it's going to be removed because I don't want to miss out on the dragon.

Does anyone else think it should be removed? With all the pets being added it may feel kind of trivial, but it still takes dedication to collect even 150 pets. Do you think/hope they will just increase the number of pets needed for new achievements, like they did with the skunk, fawn, and kaliri bird?

I am hoping they keep the Celestial Dragon and add new pet achievements for 200, 250, etc. because having the achievement pets show how much work you've put in to your collection.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: MoP and Celestial Dragon

Post by Quintessence » April 15th, 2012, 9:53 pm

All pet achievements on the beta are missing at the moment, so it's hard to say. I don't know if hitting each number (50, 75, 100, etc.) will award you anything while on the beta, but I'm guessing it won't.

There's speculation that the rewards for those achievements might be relocated to new ones that involve pet battles, since with so many new pets that will be available, 50 won't feel like a very large milestone anymore.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the lower level ones become Feats of Strength, and the pets rewarded for them be tacked onto new Pet Battles achievements instead. I'd hate to see them be removed completely. The newer pet collecting ones (100, 125, 150) could remain as they are, and higher numbers would just be added in time.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 16th, 2012, 7:50 am

I think the old achievements and rewards should stay in game, and new pet collecting achievements be added. It's how they have done it so far when new pets were added.

One of the things I love about the pet collecting community is that they have less of the elitist attitude that is so pervasive in the raiding and pvp crowds.
Mingyao on Madoran

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » April 16th, 2012, 8:38 am

This is one thing that concerns me, ever since this pet battle thing was announced for MoP. I'd like to still have individual achievements, and not have everything tied to pet battles. Maybe I'll hate the pet battles, and then I won't be a "real" pet collector. They always say it shouldn't bother anyone, because you just don't have to play it if you don't like it. But if one of your main motivations for playing WoW was always collecting pets, and now you hate it, does that mean time for a new game? Or will there still be rep pets and the like, and working towards them still gives achievements or other rewards? Just how hard will these pet battles in the wild be? If you can get 10 pets in 5 minutes, how could it be worth it for future players to finish a whole quest chain for a pet, or grind out Sporeggar rep?

Since the individual pet spells are still in beta, at least at this point, I'm wondering if those will persist. Maybe the wild pets will only be in the pet journal, and that will be a separate set of rewards. I wouldn't expect 50 pets account wide to give the same acheivement as 50 pets on an individual. But, honestly, I wouldn't mind if it did. It might give people who are not currently serious pet collectors, a jump start getting into pet collecting. If they logged in when MoP hit, and one or more acheivement pets immediately showed up in the mail (because combing the collections on their various toons caused them to get Stinker and Nuts, for example). I think that would be fun. I remember when the crocs were finally made easier to get--before that, some people had been working at it for years. And other people complained when it was finally made easier, as they always do, that now it was too easy, because they got Toothy or whatever, back when it was hard. They think that lessens their acheivement in some way. But they had their day in the sun, they could show off Toothy back when few people had one. And what about all the people who worked just as hard, but weren't lucky, and had nothing to show for it?

Plus there are so many more rewards for people to work on these days.. If each one took just as long as it always had, no one would ever finish them. I wasn't playing back in vanilla, but I've heard it could take a year just to hit level 60. With each expansion, they sensibly shortened the time it takes to work through lower levels. It only makes sense for certain grinds to be shortened, as well. With the crocs It's weird enough that you can't start working on them until you're 2 levels into Northrend, and there's no Dalaran port to Shatt anymore.

In any case, I hope they don't take our pet achievements away. Either make then still for an individual collection, or just go ahead and give people the same achievements for account wide collections. Why be stingy with the old achievements and old reward pets? Particularly with hundreds of new pets, it would just seem petty not to let people have the old pets anymore. And surely we will have all kinds of new achievements people can work towards, as well, so there should be things to make everyone happy.
Last edited by Lysi on April 16th, 2012, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » April 16th, 2012, 9:56 am

Lysi wrote:This is one thing that concerns me, ever since this pet battle thing was announced for MoP. I'd like to still have individual achievements, and not have everything tied to pet battles. Maybe I'll hate the pet battles, and then I won't be a "real" pet collector.
I used to hate pvp (now days i just not a huge pvp fan, but dont hate it anymore) then some years ago, blizzard created a pet that we need to plat PVP and not only play it but win the BG and even winning you could get or not the pet.
I dont need to say how much pvp i did in that week, and how much times i lost and even when i won how frustrating was my not receive the pet until finally get it.

My point here is that sometimes you need to do choices, maybe you dont like pet battle with another players, but you manage to do it doable. Or maybe not, you dont will be less pet collector if you decide dont do pet battle.

For me be a pet collector is something that i just love, i dont need show up my collection i dont need show up the expensive one, is something for me and only for me...

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 16th, 2012, 11:03 am

Doing something you don't like for one pet is no big deal, either push through it or skip that pet. But if pet battles are the way to get pets now, I wouldn't call doing something you don't like, day after day, a game you play for fun. Maybe I'll love the pet battles, I don't know, but it seems like a very different activity than collecting pets the old way. I was just saying I'd still like to see achievements for both kinds of pet collecting, not just pet battles.

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » April 16th, 2012, 11:13 am

i understand...
but i think the pet battle is just a plus, it is not the thing itself...
Maybe if they keep spelbook and journal as separede thing it will only count to pet achievement the one that you have in your spelbook (same way that it works now)

And i have this feeling that i will just love it for 2 reasons: 1st it will be annonymus so, i can be bad and nobody will know, nobody will call me moron etc (no pressure) second i will be by turn, so i dont need be that fast

Crissx
MVP
Pet Score:2497
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Crissx » May 7th, 2012, 4:47 am

Gaijin wrote:
For me be a pet collector is something that i just love, i dont need show up my collection i dont need show up the expensive one, is something for me and only for me...
I couldn't agree more. I rarely even run around with pets because in pvp they are annoying.

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » May 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Blizzard is really not in the habit of removing achievements or rewards for achievements. Sometimes they remove achievements because the game has changed and they no longer make sense, but that's not the case for simply collecting a certain number of pets. Way back in WotLK they removed the protodrake rewards for Naxx achievements because new content had made those achievements easier to get, and people got quite upset. Since then, raid achievement mounts have stayed available even when a new expansion made them far easier to get. I could see them, maybe, moving the pets over to battle achievements, but it's far more Blizzard's style to just add new rewards for higher tiers.

Thaysula
Pet Score:6596
BattleTag®:Thaysula#1842
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Thaysula » May 8th, 2012, 5:06 am

At the moment (on the beta) achievments are Account wide (they say which toon got the achiev) but Achiev progress is not account wide.

There was a tweet recently from Blizz saying a blog will go up soon all about Account Wide Achievs etc and how they will work.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » May 8th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Blog from Ghostcrawler about account wide achievements http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/5367158