Elite battle pet recap for 5.2

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu
Elite battle pet recap for 5.2

Post by Ryazan » February 26th, 2013, 5:27 am

5.2 is already around the corner along with the new elite battle pets so I decided to write a quick overview of them (info gathered from Wowhead and teh intternets):

General info ►
  • ● Elite battle pets are legendary quality (orange) pets with increased health, power and speed. They have a yellow paw print on the minimap instead of the standard green and also have the golden dragon around their item portrait.

● Elite pets always fight alone and they don't move around like normal wild pets. And unlike other wild pets, you can't capture the elite battle pets.

● Elite pets act kind of like tamers: even if you lose the battle, they will quickly respawn for another try. You are also phased out during the battle so other players can't interfere your battle. Also, they are unkillable by players.

● Winning an elite pet will yield the normal Pandaria tamer experience (multiplier 5). The elite pets aren't overwhelmingly difficult to beat so with a proper team, it is possible to carry a lowbie pet along for the experience.

● They are related to the Beasts of Fable quest which becomes available after beating Aki the Chosen. Quest is given by Sara Finkleswitch (Alliance) and Gentle San (Horde).

● After completing the quest, you are awarded the Red Panda. Completing the quest also unlocks the same named daily. The reward from it is Fabled Pandaren Pet Supplies which has a chance to contain one of the remaining new panda pets (Sunfur Panda, Snowy Panda and Mountain Panda respectively). The supply bag can also contain a rare battle stone with a higher chance than from a Sack of Pet Supplies.

List of elite battle pets ►

Last edited by Ryazan on February 28th, 2013, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Re: Elite battle pet recap for 5.2

Post by Polynices » February 26th, 2013, 3:27 pm

It's frustrating to see so little variety in the Pet Families that the elite pets use. I'm sick of stomping critters and beasts and aquatics. How about some humanoids and mechanicals and undead?

Wargazm
Pet Score:6024
Realm:Akama-us

Post by Wargazm » February 26th, 2013, 7:45 pm

These will be the new "Farmer Nishi" spot for leveling. First 2 I tried were easily taken down without even using my 3rd pet. Use a firefly or something with similar abilities that robs them of a % of their max health per round to start off and let that whittle them down healthwise as they begin with over 4000 health=You should be able to get 2 off with cocoon stike etc that blocks attacks which takes them down 50% health using only that spell.

Duroxas
Top Rater
Pet Score:6333
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Duroxas » February 26th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Anything with Predatory Strike is going to be a wonderful shortcut for these guys

Ryazan
MVP

Post by Ryazan » February 28th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I edited in the breed IDs of the elites for all but Ka'wi as I didn't manage to dig that up from the PTR.

P.S. Gorespine "might" hurt... :D

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 28th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Ryazan wrote:I edited in the breed IDs of the elites for all but Ka'wi as I didn't manage to dig that up from the PTR.

P.S. Gorespine "might" hurt... :D
If he had a better moveset he might be scarier. The same with lucky yi, the reason they gave him quick attack is with anything big he would be a force.

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » March 4th, 2013, 5:34 am

@Ryazan

I was wondering if you could provide me with the SpeciesIds of those pets.

Ryazan
MVP

Post by Ryazan » March 4th, 2013, 9:13 am

Darky28 wrote:@Ryazan

I was wondering if you could provide me with the SpeciesIds of those pets.
Sent you the list via WCpets PM. :)

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » March 4th, 2013, 9:14 am

Thanks a ton :-)

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » March 4th, 2013, 9:35 am

I agree about the pet types. Too many critters, beasts and aquatics. I'd like to see more Humanoid and Magic pets out there.

Predatory Strike, as mentioned earlier, as well as Impale should be quite the wonderful finishing move.

Pets with abilities that do more damage if you have lower health, such as Early Advantage or Comeback, should be nice to start off with as well.

Also, Apocalypse should make some of these easy. Use a beetle, cockroach and nice self healing pet like Magical Crawdad and just survive 15 rounds.

Ryazan
MVP

Post by Ryazan » March 4th, 2013, 10:03 am

Talmar wrote:Also, Apocalypse should make some of these easy. Use a beetle, cockroach and nice self healing pet like Magical Crawdad and just survive 15 rounds.
Unless elite pets are made immune to it. >_<

Deepfriedegg
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Aszune-eu

Post by Deepfriedegg » March 4th, 2013, 10:05 am

Talmar wrote:I agree about the pet types. Too many critters, beasts and aquatics. I'd like to see more Humanoid and Magic pets out there.

Predatory Strike, as mentioned earlier, as well as Impale should be quite the wonderful finishing move.

Pets with abilities that do more damage if you have lower health, such as Early Advantage or Comeback, should be nice to start off with as well.

Also, Apocalypse should make some of these easy. Use a beetle, cockroach and nice self healing pet like Magical Crawdad and just survive 15 rounds.
Early advantage is not THAT great, normally it is a basic attack that only deals more damage to higher health pets and it has 3 round cooldown.
Comeback is dealing less damage per hit but is better because it has no cooldown. Problem with pets with Comeback is that generally they are weak.

Much better, imho, would be to start with Singing Sunflower - Sunshine puts the opponent at 50% HP and together with Solar Beam will deal around 1000 dmg. Then you take whichever double-counter pet to inflict roughly another 1000 dmg and then you can employ your finisher with Predatory Strike / Impale. Once the pet is around 2000HP, it will be oneshot.

It will take much less than 15 rounds as for Apocalypse team. Btw, these elite pets´ basic attack will hit for around 500, that is a LOT so (double)counter pets will be absolutely needed.

Also bear in mind that 4 of the elites are critters so Singing Sunflower will deal less dmg but still will be beneficial because of Sunshine.

Deepfriedegg
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Aszune-eu

Post by Deepfriedegg » March 5th, 2013, 9:29 am

Just came across an idea against critters:
- open with Singing Sunflower to increase max HP with Sunlight. Then Solar Beam. It will hit weak against a critter but whatever, it is there because of the max HP increase from 4000 to 6000 and you will eat some 650HP before you die.
- Carry pet
- Clefthoof Runt (H/H): this breed will allow you mostly to take and DEAL mostly 3 hits. You will only spam Trample: the flat part will hit for 220 but the 10% HP is what you are interested in (given it works as I hope it would): 10% of increased HP is 600, but it is Beast against critter so it will be 900. Three hits should deal around 3350 damage.

I wonder if that works :)