Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Farming Stones

Post by Ravnhawk » February 21st, 2013, 2:33 pm

I am trying to farm stones since I need more then 100 to make all my non wild pets rare. I've been using 2 low level pets and 1 level 25. The low level pets are 1 to 2 levels below the pets I am battling, I try to stay in Northrend - Cata areas or Pandaria for the pet battles. I am having no luck.

1. I will use my lowest level pet first.
2. Use my Infinite Whelping to finish the others off.

Any ideas what if anything I am doing wrong? Or anything you think might help me get any stones?

Thanks
BNID - ravnhawk#1272

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Farming Stones

Post by Poofah » February 21st, 2013, 4:14 pm

The only thing you're doing wrong is being unlucky. The level of the opponent wild pets is the only thing that influences the chance of getting a battle stone. But even versus level 25 wild pets, the drop rate is very low. Sack of Pet Supplies have a better chance--roughly 10% chance of having a random stone (only from the regular pet supply bags; not from Pandaren Spirit tamers).

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 21st, 2013, 4:17 pm

I just do the tamer dailies that reward pet supply bags, anything else is far too unreliable. I figure that'll keep me covered until I'm down to just beasts and flying pets that need upgrades at which point I'll start trying to set up trades.

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » February 21st, 2013, 4:34 pm

Ysabell wrote:I just do the tamer dailies that reward pet supply bags, anything else is far too unreliable. I figure that'll keep me covered until I'm down to just beasts and flying pets that need upgrades at which point I'll start trying to set up trades.
This. I was also attempting to farm Battle-Stones through pet battles, and I found that I was having a lot more luck just doing the tamer dailies everyday. I average about 1 stone every 2 days. Pet battles was just so random and unreliable I didn't see it worth it.

There are some threads on these forums however, of good places to farm Battle-Stones if you were still interested. This is a good one that I was using for a while.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 7&start=20

Basti
MVP
Pet Score:3493
BattleTag®:Delubyo#1445
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Basti » February 21st, 2013, 6:11 pm

I would agree with the previous posts. Farming stones via wild pet battles is very unreliable. I would get more stones from doing the tamer dailies and yes I do all 16 of them (17 when Darkmoon Faire is up). There were still days I would get no battle-stones from the bags but there were also days that I got as many as 5 stones. The only downside from doing the tamer dailies is that I also get too many Pandaren spirit pets and I don't know what to do with them anymore. :lol:

I also would like to note that that in one of my battles against Jeremy Feasel of the Darkmoon Faire, a battle-stone dropped. The stone dropped right after I defeated his team and did not come from the satchel. I am not sure now if defeating tamers also grants a chance for battle-stones to drop or that was a bug.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » February 21st, 2013, 8:26 pm

I've heard of stones dropping off tamer fights before, but I've never had it happen to me.

I just do tamer dailies every day and i usually get atleast one stone or more every other day. I only do wild pet battles when i need to level pets so they can survive tamers- level 22 is a good level to go. any higher and it takes forever to level them via wild pets- i have had some stones drop off the plains monitors in kun'lai summit though.

Trying to "farm" a specific family isn't reliable- just do tamers for bags untill you get the majority of your pets rarified, then try to set up trades for unused stones.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » February 22nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks all! I've been doing the tamer dailies for a while now but RNG is not with me on the stones. I did get 1 yesterday on a tamer daily but it wasn't in the bag. Just got the message for a Flawless Flying Battle Stone after the Major Payne fight.