Storm Peaks: 3+ hrs and not one Battle Pet sighted!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us
Storm Peaks: 3+ hrs and not one Battle Pet sighted!

Post by Oldguy » February 22nd, 2013, 1:06 pm

Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I just spent over 3 hours flying to every possible location within Storm Peaks, and I never saw even 1 Battle Pet anywhere. I'm not even referring about snow... there were no BP's at all to be found! Waste of time. :?

Edited: I forgot to mention that it's one that I need to capture for the Achievement.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Re: Storm Peaks: 3+ hrs and not one Battle Pet sighted!

Post by Ravnhawk » February 22nd, 2013, 1:39 pm

Just to let you know - I didn't find any battle pets in Storm Peaks UNLESS it was snowing. The one you need for the achieve only comes out in the snow.

Good Luck

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » February 22nd, 2013, 1:41 pm

There can be Mountain Skunks in Storm Peaks when it's not snowing. I've seen them as I've searched for the proto drake. Most commonly by Frosthold, around the Engine of the Makers, and up by the Terrace of the Makers.

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 22nd, 2013, 3:15 pm

Yalina wrote:There can be Mountain Skunks in Storm Peaks when it's not snowing. I've seen them as I've searched for the proto drake. Most commonly by Frosthold, around the Engine of the Makers, and up by the Terrace of the Makers.
I guess those skunks were hiding pretty good. I flew repeatedly to all the places you mentioned, as well as to every place else in Storm Peaks. None were seen. It didn't snow while I was there, either. And, after I posted, I continued looking for another hour. What was Blizzard thinking? I only need to capture one BP in Storm Peaks to complete the Achievment. Heh heh. With so few BP's available (not even counting the Fox Kit during snow), this area shouldn't have been part of the Achievement. :(

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 22nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

Up on the rim of FrostHold. Kill critters until a battle pet spawns (could be a while but then again getting snow can be even longer.)

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:Up on the rim of FrostHold. Kill critters until a battle pet spawns....
Are you sure you meant FrostHold? I'm Alliance. Townsfolks in and around FrostHold are Alliance, and there are no enemies to be killed up on that "ridge" around the town. Just wondering?

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 22nd, 2013, 9:04 pm

Oldguy wrote:Are you sure you meant FrostHold? I'm Alliance. Townsfolks in and around FrostHold are Alliance, and there are no enemies to be killed up on that "ridge" around the town. Just wondering?
The critters around Frosthold. It works, if you want to put the time into it.
Personally, I just parked an alt out in Storm Peaks and checked in on it every once in a while.
Once it started snowing, I headed out to Snowdrift Plains and farmed Artic Fox Kit until I had a rare.
ImageImage

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 23rd, 2013, 12:07 am

Yes. GilroyKilroy said "critters," but I missed that. Finally, I understood and I tried it for a couple hours in Frosthold. I noticed that there are only 3 spawning areas for critters, and they spawn approx 10 or so minutes apart, so I kept going between spawning areas. No BP's ever emerged.

So, I went back over to Snowdrift plains, and stood at the the end of the snowdrift itself (so that I could see the entire area easily) until 8:50PM (pacific time). It never snowed once, and I've been logged in and checking continuously all day long. It probably started snowing at 8:52PM, immediately after I logged out. Ha ha.

This has been a horrible day, boring and non-productive. I never saw one Battle Pet this entire day in either of those two areas, let alone a snowstorm for the Fox Kit!

I've had it. Thanks for all your replies. Maybe I'll try it again some day in the future. I'm very discouraged.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » February 23rd, 2013, 7:32 am

If you have an Argent Tournament tabard, you can use it to check for snowing in Storm Peaks before using your hearthstone.

I think checking periodically is much less frustrating than camping.
Mingyao on Madoran

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Polynices » February 23rd, 2013, 10:55 am

Gendou wrote:Personally, I just parked an alt out in Storm Peaks and checked in on it every once in a while.
This is the only way to get something like this. Check a few times a day, just a few minutes each time. You will inevitably get the pet and without any frustration.

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 24th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Thanks everybody for all your kind replies!

Even though I haven't found any battle-pets, including the 'fox', I am extremely happy that one good thing happened.

While I was standing near the snowdrift, waiting for it to snow, I continued shooting the enemies which wandered close to me. One of the little guy enemies dropped this; my eyes bugged-out with joy. I've wanted that for a very long time. So, I guess the waiting was worth it. Now, I have to find 2ea "King's Amber" (somewhere?) to build my new Jeeves! It's not in the AH (Malfurion realm). Darn.

Schematic for Jeeves
http://www.wowhead.com/item=49050

I'll keep trying to find it snowing, so I can get the fox. Thanks again!

Gendou

Post by Gendou » February 24th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Looks like King's Amber doesn't show up often on your server's AH.
However, someone named Slammed was selling one yesterday.
Maybe he has some more?
ImageImage

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » February 24th, 2013, 8:00 pm

King's Amber can be bought with JP in Dalaran, in the JC shop from the guy who sells Kirin Tor rings.
Mingyao on Madoran

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 24th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info on the King's Amber. It was only after I logged off of here that I checked my own alt char's Alchemy profession. He had the skill, so I made the gems myself. Much, much cheaper that way! ha ha. I should have checked first, but I hadn't played that alt char in awhile, so I didn't think of it beforehand.

If this forum's "text editor" included the "Strikethrough" font option, I would use that in addition to editing my post about those gems. Oh, well.

Thanks again for replying and being so helpful.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » February 25th, 2013, 3:29 am

I hope this doesn't come across in a bad way, but last time I had trouble finding pets, it was because I had temporarily switched off pet tracking and forgot to turn it back on again. Sometimes it's the silly and obvious that trips you up, but I would assume you aready checked this.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 25th, 2013, 7:14 am

Waflob wrote:I hope this doesn't come across in a bad way, but last time I had trouble finding pets, it was because I had temporarily switched off pet tracking and forgot to turn it back on again. Sometimes it's the silly and obvious that trips you up, but I would assume you aready checked this.
I've done this on more than 1 occasion.

Gendou

Post by Gendou » February 25th, 2013, 7:15 am

Tahsfenz wrote:
Waflob wrote:I hope this doesn't come across in a bad way, but last time I had trouble finding pets, it was because I had temporarily switched off pet tracking and forgot to turn it back on again. Sometimes it's the silly and obvious that trips you up, but I would assume you aready checked this.
I've done this on more than 1 occasion.
Especially on alts that I don't generally use for pet-hunting. :oops:
ImageImage

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » February 25th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Waflob wrote:.....switched off pet tracking and forgot to turn it back on again. Sometimes it's the silly and obvious that trips you up, but I would assume you aready checked this.
You assumed correctly. It was on; it's always on. But, you made a good point.

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » March 2nd, 2013, 5:51 am

Just a final, quick update...

It wasn't long after posting here that I went back and tried again. This time, even though there was no visible snow (even when I was standing on the ground), there were numerous Artic Fox Kits and a few other BP's!

The first one I battled was a poor quality, but the next one was a rare one! I didn't realize it at the time, but I had my rare lvl 25 Flayer Youngling starting the battle, and that little sucker whacked the rare Kit to death in one or two blows. It was dead before I could even capture him! ha ha. I continued battling others, and got too many common ones at first, but at least I was lucky enough to receive a Flawless Battle Stone. That made the struggles I had worthwhile. I finally captured a rare Artic Fox Kit. After that, I continued battling for at approximately an hour or two just for fun, and it continued spawning tons of Artic Fox Kits! At least, I completed the Achievment I was after.

Thanks folks for guiding me and encouraging me. :D
flawless_battle_stone.jpg
I wish more of these would fall out of the sky!
flawless_battle_stone.jpg (95.41KiB)Viewed 7390 times

Gendou

Post by Gendou » March 2nd, 2013, 9:08 am

Awesome news. Glad you ended up with good luck after all. :D
ImageImage