The new elite battle pet dailies

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu
The new elite battle pet dailies

Post by Cabadath » February 20th, 2013, 4:54 am

I haven't seen much info about the new elite battle pets which you can battle through daily quests.

I don't know how much hp they have, but I guess its probably like 5000 or something like that?

Some have tried them on the PTR, and I have seen one strategy involving 3 darkmoon tonks. That is probably not very viable for most people, including myself, because getting hold of 3 tonks involves quite a bit of gold or a lot of darkmoon faire ticket farming (which I am sick and tired of at this point).

What I was thinking:
-Impale or Predatory Strike instantly kills the target if it is below 25 % hp.
-If you have an elite pet with 5000 hp, you will insta-kill him if it has less than 1250 hp left.
-Since Impale and Predatory Strike does damage in addition to the kill effect, you just have to make sure the elite pet has less than 1250 hp left after getting hit by the damage from Impale / Predatory Strike.

-Sunny Day (weather effect triggered by using Illuminate or Sunlight) increases max hp by 50 %.
-5000 max hp will then become 7500 max hp, although not affecting the actual current hp (although healing effects will be increased by 25 %, so watch out).
-25 % of 7500 is 1875 hp. If the elite pet has about 2200-2300 dmg, I suppose the Impale/Predatory Strike damage will bring him down to below 1875 hp (it's about 350+dmg? Not sure at the time of writing this), thus instantly killing him.

This means you need to:
1) Damage the elite pet down from 5000 to approx 2200 hp (2800 dmg),
2) Bring Sunny Day to the field,
3) Use Impale / Predatory Strike

This means you have to have a pet with Illuminate or Sunlight, and a pet with Impale or Predatory Strike (there are no pets which has both). This could be a challenge if you at the same time wish to level a carry pet, but with 3 lvl 25s this should be no problem.

-I am not sure if the game mechanics allows this though. For all that I know, 25 % hp is calculated based on the actual max hp of the pet, and not the max hp after bonuses such as from Sunny Day.

Another thing I was thinking:
-dot's taking off 6 % of the elite pet's max hp each round could be interesting. 6 % of 5000 max hp = 300 dmg pr round. With Sunny Day: 6 % of 7500 max hp = 450 dmg pr round.
-attacks like Trample does damage + 10 % additional damage based on the target's hp (it says that is is based on the target's health, not of max hp, but I'm not sure what it actually does). Anyway, about 150-200 dmg + 10 % of 5000 hp = about 700 dmg. Trample might be less effective when the target gets low on hp, unless the 10 % is calculated from max hp instead of current hp.

Thoughts?
Other tactics vs elite pets?

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Re: The new elite battle pet dailies

Post by Ysabell » February 20th, 2013, 9:50 am

Haven't played around on the PTR at all, but I figured we'd just be bringing in three pets that take reduced damage from the elite pet while using attacks that are increased against them and inserting heals or other synergies as needed. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone who has been farming Pandaland tamers for more than 2 weeks to field teams for each.

Warpets.info did a post on them about a month ago with some good ideas.

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » February 20th, 2013, 10:20 am

Nice, will check warpets.info.

I assumed the elite battle pets would be a little more tricky than to just use dmg reduction shields and go with attacks that do extra damage vs their pet family. Would seem a little boring and make them a little uninteresting not befitting their title of "elite" pets.

Guess I'll find out soon enough :)

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 20th, 2013, 10:50 am

That was my initial thought as well, but you also have to consider that there are 10 of them, they don't give bonus xp and the bag reward for the chance at a pet is only given from the daily to beat all 10 of them. I have a feeling I'm never going to touch them again once I have my pandas.