Most sort after pets come MoP?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us
Most sort after pets come MoP?

Post by Nursie » April 9th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I've been thinking about running MGT for Phoenix hatchling like crazy until MoP comes out to see how many hatchlings i can get and sell when MoP comes around due to you being able to sell (most?) BoP pets. My question to you all is are there any pets you are thinking about farming multiple times before MoP just so you have a few unique pets to put on the AH?

I think the Phoenix hatchling will sell well for the following reasons:

1.Not many people run MGT these days.
2.It has a unique companion model.
3.It looks like a pokemon (Moltres) which will appeal to many former/current pokemon players.
4.It looks like a mini Al'ar.
5.It seems to be the only flying elemental type which makes it different to all those dragon flying types :P

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Most sort after pets come MoP?

Post by Quintessence » April 10th, 2012, 10:15 am

I'm going to hold back on farming any BoP pets until after they reveal how selling/trading them will work.

Part of me feels like trading/selling BoP pets might not work the way we think they'll work. I'd be very surprised if they make all BoP pets (the item) suddenly BoU. That's quite a few they would have to rename/change the code for. Instead I think selling and trading pets will have something to do with the "release" option in the Pet Journal.

Some things I wonder:
- Will we be able to learn more than one of the same pet, and "level" the same ones at the same time?
- If so, does that mean we'll be able to sell multiple versions of the same pet at the same time?
- Will selling/trading the pet mean selling the spell or will we need to place the pet spell into an item and sell the item?

But like I said, I'm gonna sit and wait on it a bit. Besides, I just don't have the bank space to try and stockpile extra pets. XD
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » April 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Quint, I'm with you, I'm wondering what they mean. I am holding on to a spare Phoenix Hatchling just in case (dropped when hubby and I were running it for the mount and we didn't need it). But Blizzard also talked about being able to trade pets leveled in the new battle system, and I'm wondering if that's the way "most pets" will be tradable. That doesn't sound like an auction house thing to me. I'd guess if you trade away a pet with particular stats, you wouldn't have that pet anymore (unless you reacquire it). But who knows. Blizzard is probably still trying to figure out exactly how they want to do things.

Personally I've found it's hard to speculate about upcoming expansions (although I know some people do it successfully). Before Lich King came out, I saved some pets to sell on the AH because I knew the market would boom when pets became spells. And I did make a ton of gold selling pets, particularly on the neutral. But those pets I'd squirreled away before the expansion, couldn't be sold on the AH. I still don't know if it was a bug, or if they meant to stop people from doing it, but any pet that was in your inventory when Lich hit said "used charges" (even though it had never been used). You couldn't sell them on the AH. I ended up putting them in the guild vault.

So, anyway, Evilgnomey, nabbing some spare Phoenix Hatchlings might not be a bad idea, just because they are fairly easy to farm. Good luck whatever you do!
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Nursie

Post by Nursie » April 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Best way to do it would be:

- Player 1 (with pet) uses the "release pet" feature in the pet journal.
- Player 1 loses the pet from his pet journal and creates an item he can't learn in his bags that contains the pet complete with it's current level and abilities.
- Player 1 can place the item on the AH or trade it with a friend/guild mate.
- Player 2 can learns to summon pet and it goes into his/her pet journal.

Also if we can trade pets that are BoP currently, kirin tor familiar would probably go for a bit :P

Sikker

Post by Sikker » April 11th, 2012, 5:48 am

Another problem with the pet trading is reputation pets, for example the nether ray fry needs exalted with the skyguard, and if you get exalted you can just buy a bunch cheap from the vendor and sell them to people who can't be bothered farming rep....or even for the vendor price to friends or guildies. And what about those pets that are already BoA, you can just get infinity of them and sell them all? It just seems kinda weird and tbh I don't think the pet trading thing will happen at all.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » April 11th, 2012, 6:09 am

Sikker wrote:It just seems kinda weird and tbh I don't think the pet trading thing will happen at all.
I think it will happen, but maybe with just the new Wild Pets. I could see it being easier to implement selling/trading of wild pets than previously learned and BoP companions. MMO-Champion dug up some new pet battle spell tooltips, one being:
  • PET_PUT_IN_CAGE_LABEL - Put This Pet In A Cage?
So it looks like we will be putting pets in cages (WoW's version of a Pokeball lol).

Selling a caged pet seems plausible, but as for BoP companions (the item, not the spell).. I have my doubts about those. Blizzard did add on that disclaimer that "most" pets will be tradable, so I'm sure there will be exceptions.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Nursie

Post by Nursie » April 11th, 2012, 7:03 am

Quintessence wrote:Selling a caged pet seems plausible, but as for BoP companions (the item, not the spell).. I have my doubts about those. Blizzard did add on that disclaimer that "most" pets will be tradable, so I'm sure there will be exceptions.
I'd say that maybe TCG and/or blizz store pets won't be tradable.

Maleika

Post by Maleika » April 13th, 2012, 5:40 pm

I sure hope that the Blizz Store, TCG and CE will NOT be tradeable. Ill be a little miffed if all of a sudden they were being traded after having spent rl cash on them.

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » April 13th, 2012, 5:44 pm

I can't buy them... there is no brazillian blizzard store and I don't have an international credit card to buy from the US store... if they become tradable I'll be very happy :3

Post by Guest » April 13th, 2012, 7:51 pm

I agree, it's best to learn how pet trading works before you go mad and farm/stockpile Bop pets, but It doesn't hurt to grab a few if you see a good opportunity. I have a few Toxic Wastelings spread across various alts, and a Mojo. Also planning to grab a few Children's Week pets!

For Boe pets, I often look on the AH for bargains. I've found a few of the Argent Tourney pets for good prices, brought a few for under 1500g. Also have a lot of holiday pets, like Peddlefeet and the Spring Rabbit. The Rabbits were going as low as 30g on my server, but even those should make profit when Mop releases.