MoP Beta: Renaming Pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us
MoP Beta: Renaming Pets

Post by Quintessence » April 6th, 2012, 11:20 pm

The renaming pets feature is up and running on the beta now! Ready for testing, go!

- Must use Pet Journal to rename a pet.
- Currently you can rename your pet multiple times.
- Can include spaces and caps, but no special characters.
- Renaming your pets in the Pet Journal DOES NOT rename them in your spellbook companion tab. So to summon your pet with its new name, you must summon it using the Pet Journal and not the spellbook.
- Renamed pets can be viewed across all toons.
- You can use the search function and filter for the unique name you've assigned a pet or its default name.

It's a little buggy at the moment, and sometimes the pet will revert back to its default name when summoning it. It should use the new name if you unsummon and resummon, though. Just remember you need to use the Pet Journal otherwise the new name won't show up.

If you discover more details about pet renaming, please post them in this thread!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: MoP Beta: Renaming Pets

Post by Lysi » April 7th, 2012, 1:15 am

I'm glad you can rename multiple times, I hope they keep it that way.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Diva
Top Rater
Pet Score:8034
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Diva » April 7th, 2012, 10:36 am

Already having a ton of fun with this feature! Although I think only one person can claim a name. I've tried a few and had them bounce. Like "simba", yet Nala worked fine. A few other names along the lines have bounced but i've grabbed quite a few. I also digged deeper into my childhood to come up with less remembered resources. Lol. :) As well as naming quite a few after my own real pets here at home. ^-^ Named all my humanoids after family members. Hahahaha. :)

Important part of the above: I dont think you can use names someone else has already used. So grab em quick.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 7th, 2012, 11:19 am

Diva wrote:Important part of the above: I dont think you can use names someone else has already used. So grab em quick.
Oh, man, if it goes live like that, you gotta be kidding me. It's hard enough to come up with unique per realm characters names, but for hundreds of pets? All the pets I think of as already having names, I won't be able to use any of those names.. You might as well not have a naming feature. :roll:

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 7th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Diva wrote:I don't think you can use names someone else has already used.
The problem you're running into isn't someone else using the name, it's that the name is on the restricted list of names. Hunters can't name their hunter pets Simba either. Petopia forums has a list of restricted names. It hasn't been updated in a while, so if anyone wants to start a thread here on Warcraftpets and keep it up-to-date, that would be great!
Mingyao on Madoran

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 7th, 2012, 12:16 pm

If someone wouldn't mind testing it, try renaming a pet Arnold or Corey on the Lost Isles beta server. I've used both names (alliance) for my pets. Let me know if the name change goes through!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:
Diva wrote:I don't think you can use names someone else has already used.
The problem you're running into isn't someone else using the name, it's that the name is on the restricted list of names. Hunters can't name their hunter pets Simba either. Petopia forums has a list of restricted names. It hasn't been updated in a while, so if anyone wants to start a thread here on Warcraftpets and keep it up-to-date, that would be great!
That would make more sense. I tried to name my hunter's hyena "Suicide" and it wouldn't let me. But many of the names on the link you posted, I don't understand why they'd be restricted? Thanks for the info!

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 7th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Quintessence wrote:If someone wouldn't mind testing it, try renaming a pet Arnold or Corey on the Lost Isles beta server. I've used both names (alliance) for my pets. Let me know if the name change goes through!
On my toons on Lost Isles, all my Albino Snakes and Black Kingsnakes are now named Arnold. :)
Mingyao on Madoran

Diva
Top Rater
Pet Score:8034
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Diva » April 7th, 2012, 1:37 pm

It was a running theory, one I felt need to have mentioned. At the least, it was proved wrong and everyone can now find the answer if they run into the same problem. :) Thank you for posting the list! (And I'm very happy its not an issue yet after all, I agree with one of the previous posters, hundreds of pets would of been a nightmare to come up with unique names for!)

Happy pet naming and hunting! ^-^

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 7th, 2012, 5:55 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:
Quintessence wrote:If someone wouldn't mind testing it, try renaming a pet Arnold or Corey on the Lost Isles beta server. I've used both names (alliance) for my pets. Let me know if the name change goes through!
On my toons on Lost Isles, all my Albino Snakes and Black Kingsnakes are now named Arnold. :)
Thanks for testing it out! Now we know we don't have to rush to "claim" a name before someone else uses it for their pet. XD We'd definitely run out of name choices if that were the case :P

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » April 9th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Quintessence wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:
Thanks for testing it out! Now we know we don't have to rush to "claim" a name before someone else uses it for their pet. XD We'd definitely run out of name choices if that were the case :P
this is just me thinking about useless things, but I think the reason pets don't need to have an unique name is because they aren't players... no one will send the albino snake arnold some mail or a whisper so the black kingsnake can also be called arnold without creating inconveniences :D

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 9th, 2012, 8:26 pm

I wonder if the pet battles will have ranks or something or how they would do that. But it sounded like they were going to make it pretty low key, only keep track of how many wins you have and nothing else.