1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Thralla
MVP
Pet Score:2070
Realm:Madoran-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Thralla » February 15th, 2013, 9:55 pm

There's a lot of tips about how to obtain a pet or how to battle with them, most tips far surpassing my knowledge. However, there's one area that I'm great at: Naming.

To paraphrase T.S.Elliot, "The Naming of Pets is a difficult matter, It isn't just one of your holiday games; You may think at first I'm mad as a hatter, When I tell you, a pet must have A VERY AWESOME NAME!

So what do for names . . . .

Some of my pets have had names since I got them. My Netherwhelp has always been Sparkles.

I turn to literature for ideas. My Infested Bear Cub is Winne de Eww. My Curious Oracle Hatchling is named after a character on Discworld named Two Flower.

There's several great name sights out there; my personal favorite is www.20000-names.com. From there I found Pijiu, a Chinese word for beer that is now the name of my Pint-Sized Pink Pachyderm and accompanies my Pandaren Shamman, Brewmaster Grinning Bear who likes beer.

Your Guild, a great place for names and to honor your friends and guildies. On Madoran, several guildies have been instrumental in helping me collect a pet and I usually grant the guildies' name to the pet. I have, among others, a Harbinger of Flame named Doobjanka and an Imperial Silkworm named Tizzie.

Former characters. Several of my pets are given names to honor a character that I now longer play in her previous form. My Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling, Ardalathalia is one such, named for a character who in my own personal world of RP is missing. Fare thee well, Arda, may we find you somewhere in the future of Azeroth.

Lastly, various websites have words from the different languages of the Azerothians. My Worg Pup is named Loktra, meaning "Song Before Battle" and is the constant companion of Thralla, my orc hunter.

Hope that helps you come up with creative and interesting names for your little friends.

Aleila
Pet Score:1972
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Aleila » February 15th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Onyxian Whelpling is a very hard hitter. Combined that with his heal ability, and he is a very strong pet!
Just use Tail Sweep and Healing Flame when his health gets just low enough for the total amount healed to get you back up near 100%. Since he has lower speed he goes 2nd in most fights which allows tail swipe to take an extra swing.

Didn't get him in 2009 for Blizzard's 5th anniversary? Don't worry, you can head over to the Wyrmbog in Dustwallow Marsh and catch yourself a Spawn of Onyxia instead!

Aelfrin
Pet Score:3546
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Aelfrin » February 15th, 2013, 10:14 pm

My newest favorite pet is the Purple Puffer. His pump seems to be able to take down most wild critters in one shot and does a good job against all the Spirits in Pandaria. It's also nice that he has Healing Wave to get his health back up and then Surge to get that last hit in first.

Gladiatro
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Gladiatro » February 15th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Disgusting Oozeling is a great pet for battles. Simply start off by using Acidic Goo followed by Corrosion, then this allows you to use Absorb for two rounds dealing massive damage as well as healing a ton.

Hope the tip helps :)

Melliandre
Pet Score:4012
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Melliandre » February 15th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Minfernal -- I've found the best way to catch this guy is to kill all the rats in the area. I've done this 3-4 times and after killing all the rats in the area I've seen him spawn by the ruins to the north west. To avoid competition, roll a DK on a new brazilian server, and you'll have very little competition.

Rainfern
Pet Score:6827
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Rainfern » February 15th, 2013, 10:30 pm

My favorite battle pet has become the Infinite Whelpling ,,I use her ..my Garden Moth and Pandaren Water Spirit to make short work of the Darkmoon tamer..
Last edited by Rainfern on February 15th, 2013, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fantasma
Pet Score:10189
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Fantasma » February 15th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Infinite Whelpling

This is my "go to" pet for most battles. Make certain to get the slowest one possible. This will all but ensure that you will get double strikes against your opponent by using Tail Sweep. He is particularly strong in the Darkmoon Faire daily pet battle as he can quickly demolish the Darkmoon Eye while still having enough life to hit the Darkmoon Tonk hard and fast with Early Advantage. Combine these with a well-timed Healing Flame, and you'll be unbeatable!

Remescao
Pet Score:2877
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Remescao » February 15th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Blighthawk

Only found in Andorhal, in Western Plaguelands, and often hard to find because of a) phasing issues, and b) they like to perch high up... sometimes in midair on nothing at all. There are many occasions where a simple macro of "/tar name-of-pet" is useful, but this is one on the ones it works best with. When the mini-map icon shows a pet inside an object, like a rock or a tree, you can sometimes engage the pet with the target macro.
http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/remescao/#col
http://petsear.ch/Pets/US/Cairne/gryndom

Melabrin
Top Rater
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Melabrin » February 15th, 2013, 10:52 pm

For a great go-to pet, I love to use [pet]Lil' XT[/pet] or [pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet]. At 25 or even low levels, he's ready to play! Start by making your opponent scream, "No, no, no no!" by using his Tympanic Tantrum to affect both current and backline pets. After which, if you find yourself running into health trouble, rest for just a moment with his Repair. If not, you should swap it for Heartbroken for additional damage on his tantrum. Finish them off with either Thrash or Zap, and you'll have broken all the toys!

Tryla
MVP
Pet Score:5334
Realm:Anub'arak-us

Post by Tryla » February 15th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Arctic Fox Kit - As this pet only spawns during snowstorms in Storm Peaks, it can be quite difficult to find to capture for some people. These snowstorms are random and can appear in all or part of the zone at any given time, but are not always graphically apparent; this is especially true at the beginning and ending of the snowstorms, as they are flurries at those points and barely visible. In order to combat the visibility issues, be sure to use the Track Pets spell and look for the Kits on your Minimap.

To facilitate checking Storm Peaks for snow (and consequently the Arctic Fox Kit), there are some items which will make your search a little easier:
- Argent Crusader's Tabard: This allows you to teleport to the Argent Tournament once every 30 minutes. In order to obtain this item, you will need to have earned either the Exalted Argent Champion of the Alliance or Exalted Argent Champion of the Horde. These award the Crusader title and allow you to purchase this tabard from Dame Evniki Kapsalis for a cost of 50 Champion's Seals.
- Signet of the Kirin Tor (or Ring of the Kirin Tor, Band of the Kirin Tor, or Loop of the Kirin Tor): This allows you to teleport to Dalaran once every 30 minutes, and is purchasable from Harold Winston for 8,500g (before rep or guild discounts).
- Jaina's Locket: Allows the owner to teleport to Dalaran once every hour. This item is available from completing the Shadowmourne quest line and receiving the Unsealed Chest and the rewards it contains, including the quest item that rewards the locket.
- Wormhole Generator: Northrend: Only available to engineers, this item will teleport you to a random location in Northrend once every four hours.

I hope these items make the search a little easier - Happy hunting!

Shev
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Shev » February 15th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Luyu Moth

Having a hard time with Major Payne's Grizzle? Your level 25 blue Luyu Moth is the antidote for that little guy, despite recommendations of a mechanical opponent. The moth's speed is faster than the bear's, so 3 or 4 attacks of Alpha Strike until Grizzle falls asleep, then one good Moth Dust to finish him off. This pet has worked for me against Grizzle 90% of the time, despite Major Payne's cheating ways. ;)

Velyana
Pet Score:4091
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Velyana » February 15th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I'm an avid pet collector and am proud to say I have every tameable pet to date available, this includes the Darkmoon Rabbit. There are a few that I'm missing as I wasn't around for those specific events, such as the various Special edition pets and the opening of expansion pets. As well as a few that are from guild achievements as other achievements I've yet to get. But there is one pet that I should be able to attain that has eluded me since Cataclysm launched.

I have 3 characters with max archeology yet no matter how many artifacts I make the Crawling Claw seems to be a mythical beast for me. Maybe someday the RNG gods will deign to allow me to craft this creepy crawly pet that I desire so much but for now its back to Uldum and more digging in the sand to attempt to find this pet.

Ioso
Pet Score:13147
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ioso » February 15th, 2013, 11:13 pm

One of my favorite pets, not really to battle with but just because I love the look and that we are finally able to get one of our own, is the Mr. Bigglesworth. Looks awesome and I am totally excited that I have been able to save the very cat so many ppl killed while raiding Naxx!!

As for tips- To capture a rare that is in high demand, I park several toons in the area on different servers and then periodically check in on them during the day until I finally get the rare I want! Also, to level my pets, I use the dragonbone hatchlings out in Dragonblight right outside the Wyrmskull Tower. They are around lvl 23 and I put in the pet I wish to lvl first, then switch out to another pet I have on hand that can solo the whole battle, usually my robo-chick.

Good luck to all! :)
Last edited by Ioso on February 15th, 2013, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphashock
MVP
Pet Score:5407
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Alphashock » February 15th, 2013, 11:18 pm

So as most of you know, one of the best ways to gain max XP for your leveling pet is to do the tamer circuit. The key is to find a good level 25 pet duo that can kill the tamer's team by themselves. During a tamer battle, get your leveling pet in and survive one round, then finish off the tamer's team with your dynamic duo, then the leveling pet gets all the XP - close to 6k depending on the level of the non-25 pet and the tamer's team.

My favorite team of the moment is the Magical Crawdad and the Terrible Turnip. Start off with the Turnip, and cast Sunlight. Then cast Tidal Wave as often as possible, to damage the entire enemy team. If the Turnip is taking too much damage, bring in the Crawdad, and have it cast Renewing Mists, then Wish, then swap back to the Turnip. This will heal the Turnip back to full in the next round usually. With Turnip, alternate between Tidal Wave and Sunlight to devastate the enemy team, cast Inspiring Song for a quick heal for your entire team. Rinse and repeat, swap in the leveling pet when its safe, then finish off the enemy team FTW. On a Panderia tamer, it will level a pet from 10 to 17 in a single battle.

It can take a while, but unless the enemy team has a quick nuke pet that can 1 shot your Turnip (e.g., the Fluxfire Feline or something similar, its almost impossible to kill your team using this method.

Briara
Pet Score:2506
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Briara » February 15th, 2013, 11:21 pm

The Cinder Kitten from the Blizzard Pet Store is a perfect complement to a druid who happens to have a Fandaral's Flamescythe. You can parade all around town as a proud parent fire kitty with your adorable cub in tow, rolling around and occasionally pouncing on your fiery tail!

Soulwhisper
Top Rater
Pet Score:9472
Realm:Frostmane-us

Post by Soulwhisper » February 15th, 2013, 11:39 pm

To become an iconic paladin simply pop out your Mini Tyrael and mount Tyrael's Charger and you will be oozing with holy style!

Ymsar

Post by Ymsar » February 16th, 2013, 12:00 am

Celestial Dragon

This beautiful little guy is hands down one of the best pets to have in your group of three. Not only does he look dazzling, he also has an extremely strong heal once you use his Moonfire. Once this guy is on the playing field, opponent pets start shaking in their tiny booties.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Re: 1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Post by Breanni » February 18th, 2013, 3:38 pm

These tips were originally provided by participants in our [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2810]Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael[/url] contest. For this contest, we gave pet enthusiasts an opportunity to add even more depth to WarcraftPets' well of knowledge.

We'll be keeping this post stickied in the Pet Battles forum. Feel free to add additional tips. [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/winners-selected-pet-tips-for-mini-tyrael-contest/]The contest has ended[/url], but that's no reason to end a super-useful thread! :-D