Preview of Pet Journal & Account Wide Collections

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Preview of Pet Journal & Account Wide Collections

Post by Quintessence » March 29th, 2012, 9:42 am

Pet Journal: (see video preview here and here!)
  • - It lists all of your currently owned pets plus all the pets you do not have (greyed out).

- Wild pets are listed and you can preview their models. There's a button for "Info" on the wild pets, but so far it doesn't do anything.

- You can add three pets to your battle team, and it will show what abilities each of the pets have as well as their level.

- There's a filter to help sort your pets by class/category and collected/not collected/favorites.

- There's a summon random pet button, but it currently doesn't work.

- The Pet Journal acts as the "stable" for account wide collections. You can access your main collector's pets from the journal on any alt (works cross server too, I think).
Account Wide Collections:
  • - Cross faction pets DO work! Gnomes with Horde Balloons, anyone? :D

- However, you must have already collected the faction specific pet in order to access it. (Example: My alliance druid's Alliance Balloon doesn't become a Horde Balloon when I look at my collection on a horde alt. I have to go out and collect the horde version to add it to my collection.)

- Atm, duplicate pets are combined into one that's available to all toons on your account. (Example: I have a Perky Pug on my druid and a Perky Pug on my shaman. I don't get two Perky Pugs. Instead they're combined and I only have access to one through the Pet Journal.)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Re: Preview of Pet Journal & Account Wide Collections

Post by Nursie » March 29th, 2012, 9:52 am

this is in beta? i'm trying to get a look at it :P and thanks for the info :) glad to see that account-wide is cross-faction too.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » March 29th, 2012, 9:58 am

Evilgnomey wrote:this is in beta? i'm trying to get a look at it :P and thanks for the info :) glad to see that account-wide is cross-faction too.
Yup! You'll need to keybind it to view the journal though. It's listed in the keybinds under Interface Panel Functions, last one (Toggle Companion Journal). I think the default keybind for it is the equals sign.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Nursie

Post by Nursie » March 29th, 2012, 10:18 am

awesome just had EGtactics stream it for me, so as soon as i can get the video and upload it we will all be able to look at the pet journal in a video :)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » March 29th, 2012, 10:50 am

Here's a video preview of the Pet Journal. Best viewed in HD and with annotations (chat bubbles) turned on!

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » March 29th, 2012, 11:17 am

Thanks Quintessence! Can other people see the annotations? Mine are on but I didn't see any..
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Nursie

Post by Nursie » March 29th, 2012, 11:21 am

thanks for sharing :) also... ah drats you beat me in uploading a video of it :P i've got a 13 or so minute video uploading at the moment probably take an hour to upload :)

Edit: I can see the annotations.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » March 29th, 2012, 11:31 am

Lysi wrote:Thanks Quintessence! Can other people see the annotations? Mine are on but I didn't see any..
Darn, was worried about the Youtube annotations not working properly. Try toggling the annotations option on and off. (Red chat bubble = on, white chat bubble = off)

If that doesn't work, let me know. I can reupload another version later today with voice over or embedded text to explain what everything is.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 29th, 2012, 11:54 am

Quintessence wrote:Darn, was worried about the Youtube annotations not working properly. Try toggling the annotations option on and off. (Red chat bubble = on, white chat bubble = off)

If that doesn't work, let me know. I can reupload another version later today with voice over or embedded text to explain what everything is.
Working now, thanks!!!

Nursie

Post by Nursie » March 29th, 2012, 12:42 pm

New Pet Journal video:

Thanks to egtactics @ http://www.twitch.tv/egtactics for streaming this.)

13+ mins of looking through it. Enjoy :)

Daday

Post by Daday » March 30th, 2012, 8:13 am

When they say account wide do they mean cross realm too or just the characters on that realm? I play horde on one realm and alliance on another.

Daday

Post by Daday » March 30th, 2012, 8:14 am

Eep! Double post. ^^; sorry
Last edited by Daday on March 30th, 2012, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » March 30th, 2012, 10:10 am

Daday wrote:When they say account wide do they mean cross realm too or just the characters on that realm? I play horde on one realm and alliance on another.
I think their wish is to be able to make all account wide things really account-wide (they also mentioned reworking the way heirlooms are distributed).... wether or not it'll be possible remains to be seen...
Daday wrote:When they say account wide do they mean cross realm too or just the characters on that realm? I play horde on one realm and alliance on another.
same as above lol

Daday

Post by Daday » March 30th, 2012, 10:44 am

Mortis_darkskull wrote:
I think their wish is to be able to make all account wide things really account-wide (they also mentioned reworking the way heirlooms are distributed).... wether or not it'll be possible remains to be seen...
same as above lol
lol. Double post demon strikes again! >w<

Now with the new news update I have another question.

What about the moonkin hatchling? Can one character now have both the alliance and horde versions?

Mortis_darkskull

Post by Mortis_darkskull » March 30th, 2012, 10:50 am

Daday wrote:What about the moonkin hatchling? Can one character now have both the alliance and horde versions?
this is just speculation from me, but I think "counterpart" pets in the same account might get "counterparted" in the final product...

for instance, a the alliance balloons will probably share the same slot in the pet journal with the horde balloon... horde toons will get horde balloons, alliance toons will get alliance balloons... so no alliance toons sporting a horde balloon lol

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » March 30th, 2012, 11:19 am

Currently "account wide" really does mean account wide. You can access all of your pets, regardless of faction or server you're on! It's unclear if this is intended and how it will be upon MoP's release, though.

I just created a horde character on the PVP realm (my main collector is an alliance on the PVE server in the beta), and she has access to all the alliance pets. :D

As for the Moonkin Hatchling... only the alliance version is available in my pet journal atm. I don't know if that means I'd need to buy another one an open it specifically on a horde toon to obtain the horde version or what. Normally after creating a new character, you're mailed a Moonkin Hatchling of that faction right? It could just be that PetStore pets aren't mailed to toons on the beta server due to Blizzard's system not recognizing the beta servers as linked to your account.

Just to be on the safe side, though, I plan on creating a horde character and collecting all of the horde-specific pets before MoP. My collection will hopefully be merged across all characters in the expansion so I won't have to worry about it.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 30th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Quint, you're saying you've never made a Hordie on the regular servers so you've never had the Horde Moonkin? I wouldn't expect it to necessarily work on the beta, but just make a Horde character on a regular server and it will show up in the mail, then just learn it on that toon..

This does bring up another question I had about being able to call account wide pets.. If you just had one toon with a particular pet, and you delete that toon, is the pet now gone from your collection? Or is it once collected, always collected?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » March 31st, 2012, 2:46 am

Lysi wrote:Quint, you're saying you've never made a Hordie on the regular servers so you've never had the Horde Moonkin? I wouldn't expect it to necessarily work on the beta, but just make a Horde character on a regular server and it will show up in the mail, then just learn it on that toon..

This does bring up another question I had about being able to call account wide pets.. If you just had one toon with a particular pet, and you delete that toon, is the pet now gone from your collection? Or is it once collected, always collected?
I've created a few horde toons just for fun here and there, and received the horde version of the hatchling. Those horde alts were either abandoned or deleted though since my main server is dedicated to alliance, and as I have a one track mind I rarely venture outside my main server. Recently I cleared a spot for a horde toon, except now I can't decide what class/role I want to level and play!

Alskonda
Pet Score:1829
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Alskonda » April 2nd, 2012, 2:34 am

Quintessence wrote:
Lysi wrote:Quint, you're saying you've never made a Hordie on the regular servers so you've never had the Horde Moonkin? I wouldn't expect it to necessarily work on the beta, but just make a Horde character on a regular server and it will show up in the mail, then just learn it on that toon..

I've created a few horde toons just for fun here and there, and received the horde version of the hatchling. Those horde alts were either abandoned or deleted though since my main server is dedicated to alliance, and as I have a one track mind I rarely venture outside my main server. Recently I cleared a spot for a horde toon, except now I can't decide what class/role I want to level and play!
There's also the Argent Gruntling. That would require atleast level 80.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 2nd, 2012, 6:44 am

Alskonda wrote:There's also the Argent Gruntling. That would require atleast level 80.
The tournament is what motivated me to have both horde and alliance level 80 characters :)
Mingyao on Madoran