Re: Manual Update - What's Your Opinion?

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Schaufel
Top Rater
Pet Score:2176
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Schaufel » February 2nd, 2013, 11:41 pm

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, but I desperately want back the option to update manually. I do not like importing from the armory - it's rarely correct. It took six tries after logging out of the game to get it to update my collection as now having an arctic fox kit. Before, when I was on a pet-catching spree, I always just brought up the manual update page and checked them off one at a time as I caught them before finally saving. It was instantaneous, could be done no matter my being logged in or not, and it didn't matter which character I was collecting pets on.

I appreciate all the work you've put into the site, and I realize importing works for most people, but it doesn't work for me, so I would greatly appreciate having the option of doing it manually again.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » February 3rd, 2013, 3:44 pm

Schaufel wrote:I appreciate all the work you've put into the site, and I realize importing works for most people, but it doesn't work for me, so I would greatly appreciate having the option of doing it manually again.
I understand your frustration. But to reinstate the manual collection option would make it impossible to track things like level, rarity, breed -- so many people love these additions and would be very unhappy to give them up.

So I urge you instead to take a look at our [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/help/]help page[/url] if you're having trouble importing -- it explains exactly what to do to ensure your collecting is imported properly. Basically, you need to log completely out of WoW (and wait a few minutes) before the Armory registers your Pet Journal changes. Only then will our site import properly. So if you're out and about collecting pets and trying to update here as you're collecting them, you're going to get inaccurate results. You need to log out first (reloading the UI doesn't work).

I think most people would agree that logging out (or updating all of your catches for the day at the end of your play session) is a small price to pay for all of the additional functionality we've brought to the site in the past two weeks.

Shalymar
Pet Score:3745
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Shalymar » February 5th, 2013, 3:21 am

Schaufel wrote:I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, but I desperately want back the option to update manually. I do not like importing from the armory - it's rarely correct.
I 100% agree with this. Relying solely on Amory Import is just aggravating because the plain fact is that is rarely correct (I've seen it be off more times than I can count) and saying "just wait until it updates" doesn't always fix those issues. The manual updates also allowed me to track pets that I have that I don't have currently active (i.e disabled authenticator pet or CE pets that I haven't yet un-boxed).

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » February 5th, 2013, 7:37 am

We've had more positive feedback from these recent changes than from any other changes we've made.

Again, I can understand your frustration and if you decide to stop using WarcraftPets as a result, that is your prerogative. But to revert back to our old system would be a major step backward at this point.

Moreover, with everyone using Armory import, the amount of grievances lodged against other users for false collections has significantly declined, allowing us to put our time and effort into improving the site rather than policing it. And that makes us very, very pleased.

So far, it's been our experience that the Armory is far more correct than our registered users. Before, many people would have false collections and not even realize it due to a simple misclick or misunderstanding. So when you say the Armory is rarely correct, I'm inclined to disagree.

Now I'd like to open up this discussion to those of you who are pleased by our recent changes. I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » February 5th, 2013, 8:11 am

I for one love this site and all that it brings to pet collecting and pet battles. I 100% agree with the changes, and would only ask for the addition of comments for pet ability pages, so people can share fun and inventive uses for certain moves.
mykro9#1585

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 5th, 2013, 10:22 am

The only real downside I've experienced is that you have to fully exit WoW for the armory to update the pets (vs just logging the character out to update equipment.) Otherwise I like it. It also prevents anyone from claiming to own pets that they really don't have.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 5th, 2013, 12:00 pm

I've been very happy with the recent changes to the system as a whole. It provides so much more information

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » February 5th, 2013, 6:50 pm

I was a little skeptical of using the Armory to update my collection. I'd read about plenty of problems using this method before and had stayed away from it myself. Since the recent update I haven't had any problems with it at all. It was also a nice feeling for me to go through and manually update my collection when I found a new pet. I think that seeing my Pet Score go up every time I upgrade an uncommon to a rare and seeing my average pet level go up turned out to be a suitable replacement. Overall I'm very pleased with the new system and agree that all the new features that came with it make it well worth the change.

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » February 5th, 2013, 7:20 pm

NathKnave wrote:I think that seeing my Pet Score go up every time I upgrade an uncommon to a rare and seeing my average pet level go up turned out to be a suitable replacement.
We agreed wholeheartedly. That's exactly why we've just applied a site update that shows your stats table right on the import page. So you can literally see your numbers tick upward. It is a nice feeling. :-)