Help with Outlands Grand Master

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Phyruus
Pet Score:791
Realm:Perenolde-us
Help with Outlands Grand Master

Post by Phyruus » January 31st, 2013, 5:45 pm

I keep getting my arse kicked.... I'm close though - it's usually just one or maybe two rounds, which is largely determined by which pet Bloodknight Antari uses first. For the most part, my main team consists of:

lvl 25 Nether Faerie Dragon
lvl 25 Ash Spiderling
another misc pet, but my attempts so far have been with my lvl 25 Golden Civet

all 3 pets are of rare quality, and I also have a lvl 25 Tiny Shale Spider (Rare), a lvl 23 Forest Moth (rare), lvl 22 Rattlesnake (rare), lvl 21 [pet]Death's Head Cockroach [/pet](rare) and Sidewinder (rare).

Just looking for suggestions on beating this guy, though I'm sure that I really just need to get another (different) pet or two leveled up. Also wondering, on the home page, on the left there's the little box with the top 5 rated pets, and the Nether Faerie is one of them... is this just a "popular vote" rating or is there really more to it than that? Oddly enough (without really trying) I have the top 4 listed but they're all at lvl 1 (sans the Nether Faerie), along with several other rare pets at various levels - Should I be leveling these "Top 3" pets up?
Last edited by Phyruus on February 1st, 2013, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbrowdeluxe
Pet Score:5394
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Help with Outlands Grand Master

Post by Lowbrowdeluxe » January 31st, 2013, 6:18 pm

Pretty sure the top rated pets thing is mostly a popularity contest and pre-dates the ability to battle pets. As for the Blood Knight, I usually use Pandaran Mechanical Dragonling (takes less damage from magic, and dragonbreath deals more to magic) and Snarly (aquatic vs elemental). I'm typically leveling a 3rd random pet, but those two can usually take the opponent without too much hassle. Typically he starts with the magic pet, I get a round in on the leveling pet, switch to the dragonling, kill it with breath, switch to snarly kill the elemental, get a few rounds on the dragon and die, then switch back to the mechanical dragonling. Really, Mechanical Dragonling makes the fight much easier in general. Another mechanical could work fairly well (both the wyrmling and the dragon are magic damage only), especially if you're not trying to carry a low level pet.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » February 1st, 2013, 11:21 am

If you don't get the matchup you want on the first try, then just leave the battle and try again, use an aquatic pet or a snail on the flame elemental and a dragon on the magic something or other he has. If you have a pet that can heal itself, then that should be able to take out the last pet because the last pet spends most of the time dodging. So you heal during his dodges and attack when he's free.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

I highly reccomend getting a crab and levelling it

The Multi round heal will make a difference

Phyruus
Pet Score:791
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Phyruus » February 1st, 2013, 2:08 pm

Confirmed that my Tiny Shale Spider is indeed a Rare quality - updated first post
Bonhomous wrote:If you don't get the matchup you want on the first try, then just leave the battle and try again, use an aquatic pet or a snail on the flame elemental and a dragon on the magic something or other he has. If you have a pet that can heal itself, then that should be able to take out the last pet because the last pet spends most of the time dodging. So you heal during his dodges and attack when he's free.
I finally figure this out last night, and when I did, my posted team did finally beat him, but still just barely - one miss at somepoint would have resulted in me making another attempt.

Also appears that I've got the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling discussed in the first reply, so perhaps that's another pet that I should start to level.
Stabya wrote:I highly reccomend getting a crab and levelling it

The Multi round heal will make a difference
I do have a lvl 21 Shore Crab (Uncommon) that I'm now seeing that I should level up (or go capture a new Rare version of) - the second tier spells for slot one and three look really good.

Emrys
Top Rater
Pet Score:2695
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by Emrys » February 1st, 2013, 2:15 pm

I went with pets that had the highest health. It let me outlast the fight.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » February 1st, 2013, 4:14 pm

Mecha Panda Dragon for the worm

Frog for elemental

most any humanoid for the dragon.

You'll wipe the floor with him.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » February 1st, 2013, 4:19 pm

I think I mentioned this in another post about Northrend tamers, but you're going to want rares. Uncommon pets just aren't going to defeat these guys. Right now you're facing rare (blue) tamer pets, in northrend they're going to be purple and pandaria they'll be orange.

Lowbrowdeluxe
Pet Score:5394
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Lowbrowdeluxe » February 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm

I gotta recommend a pure power emperor crab for a crab, and it's a good and fun pet to have for a lot of reasons. also spending the first mechanical rare stone you get on the mech dragon is a pretty good choice. I'm also going to recommend my friends blog at warpets.info He has a bunch of writeups for ways to fight most of the trainers, and some good tips on pet choices.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 1st, 2013, 10:48 pm

Worst case scenario, you can cheese the fights with a cockroach and something with survivability/healing.
Just drop Apocalypse, then swap to the survivability pet and fight to survive.
Swap the roach back in for the last round of Apocalypse. Rinse. Repeat.

With that setup, I managed to eek out a win before I got a properly optimized team for Antari.
ImageImage

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » February 1st, 2013, 10:52 pm

The team I use is:

Celestial Dragon vs the worm
P/P breed Emperor Crab vs the elemental
In the 3rd slot, I have a Kun-Lai Runt, but he rarely gets into the battle... my crab and dragon usually 2v3 it. There have even been a few times when I have 1v3 it with just my crab.

Emerald01
Pet Score:3288
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Emerald01 » February 1st, 2013, 11:14 pm

I try different combos every day, but always use level 25 rares because I'm sort of lazy. Today I used my Dun Morogh Cub (Growly), My Lucky Quilen Cub (Qui Gon Jin), and an Emerald Turtle. All three can heal, and Growly does some crazy damage, no matter who he's fighting. :)

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 1st, 2013, 11:52 pm

I use a P/P emperor crab, spirit of competition dragon & another pet I'm leveling. The crab usually but a hurting on most of his team. It's worth the time in taming it. If you don't have spirit of competition, celestial dragon does pretty well.

Renmiri
Pet Score:2726
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Renmiri » February 3rd, 2013, 3:55 am

Emperor Crab can usually beat all 3 by himself :mrgreen:

What does P/P mean ?

Zoologist
Pet Score:2144
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Zoologist » February 3rd, 2013, 4:14 am

I use
a Water Strider (24) Uncommon
a Azure Whelpling (25) Rare
a Sporling Sprout (25) Rare

I keep resetting him until the jadefire guy is first. Hit him as much as you can with the water strider.
Then finish off with whelpling.

Use Whelpling to battle the next guy. You will either down him or get close.

I use sporeling sprout to finsh the last guy. It is honestly sheer nerves and luck but that is what I use and its usually in my favour.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 3rd, 2013, 7:43 am

Renmiri wrote:Emperor Crab can usually beat all 3 by himself :mrgreen:

What does P/P mean ?
Meaning a full power spec. A rare power emp. Crab will have 357 power

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » February 3rd, 2013, 11:00 am

Infinite whelpling can take out the first two pets solo, and I use a Flayer on the dragon that goes last. Leaves me a slot free for a leveling pet to soak some easy XP :)

All rares of course!

Selserene
Top Rater
Pet Score:7625
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Selserene » February 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

Azure Whelpling takes out the first two pets without a problem. After that, it's your choice. Any two lvl22+ pets will take out the dragon for you if leveling, or throw in a Humanoid to kill the dragon and a low level pet to level.

Myrrmi
Pet Score:2466
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Myrrmi » February 4th, 2013, 1:46 am

Right now I'm still farming him with a Clockwork Gnome (skills 111) and Magical Crawdad (skills 222), although I plan to replace them with Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Emperor Crab as soon as they catch a few more levels.

I start with the gnome vs. the magical pet, and go with standard Gnome rotation (but no repairs!) and the wyrm is down around the turn when I put down the 2nd turret or shortly afterwards.
When elemental comes, I immediately switch to Crawdad, put the shield up and surge him to death. Ideally I don't have to even use wish, or use it just once, early on, so it's off-cd again by the time the elemental drops dead.
For the dragon, I let Gnome step into Crwadad's wish, so he's as good as new, and let him to his usual rotation. After putting down the 2nd turret I bring out my levelling pet for a turn or two, but it happens more often than not, that the turrets finish the drake up before I have a chance to switch back to my Gnome.

Syrel

Post by Syrel » February 5th, 2013, 6:15 am

I use the Emperor Crab (P/P) and the Onyxian Whelpling to deal with Antari's pets, the 3rd slot is for whatever pet I am levelling.