breed ID makes no sence...

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Safina
Top Rater
Pet Score:8336
Realm:Emerald Dream-us
breed ID makes no sence...

Post by Safina » January 26th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Ok I'm just confused here maybe I just don't understand this at all. No maybe it's probably lol.

Now I am looking at the breed ID chart and I just DON'T GET IT! WHY would you want a pet with ONE extra strength instead of it having it with more than one? Wouldn't you WANT them to be strong in more than one stat??

For example: If my fawn is 5 or 15, she's got the 20 speed stat. ok great she's fast. But if she's 3 or 13, she's got not only a bit more speed, but strength and health is higher too. So If she only has speed on her side, ok grat I get to hit the mob once faster but guess what if their strength is higher bam they kill her anyway. speed ain't gonna help with that!....

I just want to understand cause I don't want to waste my time and effort on not only going after a rare version, but also going back and doing them ALL OVER AGAIN just because her "breed" isn't ONE stat only o.o.... LOST! lol

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Re: breed ID makes no sence...

Post by Index » January 26th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Simple. Power = HITS HARDER or HEALS MORE. You ideally want to kill them fast.

For example. Infinite Whelpling. It's biggest hitter depends on hitting second. You WANT to be slow, and hit HARD. So power / health > speed for this pet.

Just an idea of why power is good.

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 26th, 2013, 4:32 pm

On some pets it makes sense to have really fast pet so you're sure to go first. Abilities that benefit from that are attacks like Flurry or Alpha Strike that hit additional times or harder if they go first, or more importantly defensive moves like dodge and burrow which actually let you avoid attacks for 2 rounds instead of 1 if you go first. Not to mention that if you're both sitting at 100hp, the first person to attack is the winner, no matter how much power they have.

On other pets it makes more sense to have high power, like Index pointed out, it affects how hard you hit AND how much you heal. Or it may just be that whatever pet already has a super low base speed, so even getting a breed 5 will still only bring you up to average speed.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 26th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Some abilities benefit more from one stat than others. There are many pets that have certain attacks that are most efficient paired with a certain stat.

In your Fawn's case, you may choose Power over other stats to increase your Fawn's healing. On the other hand, in the case of a Flayer Youngling, you may choose Speed over other stats because two of its abilities benefit the most from going first (or in other words, having high speed).

In PVE, breed has less impact on the battles. In PVP, breed players a bigger role.

Ultimately it's up to each person to pick whichever breed their most comfortable using in a match. Or not. It's entirely ok to feel that focusing on breeds should not be a priority. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Forrestra
Pet Score:2214
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Forrestra » January 26th, 2013, 4:57 pm

The whole breed thing reminds me of gearing. Different specs use different stats to reforge and gem. Some gear is sub-optimal but usable. What you do in your gear can dictate how much extra effort you are going to put into optimizing your gear. Stat food is like that. 250, 275 or 300 stat food?

It's the same for pets. If you catch a rare P/S pet, but a P/P or P/H would have better stats, do you care? If you do, maybe you need to use a slightly different pet with the same move set to get the stats you are looking for. For example, I looked at several moths to find one I wanted to keep on tap. Had a few level 21-23 rare moths that looked good enough and not much to level. But I wanted one that was a hard hitter. Flying types get a speed boost anyway. I looked at the maximum stats and settled on a Yellow Moth. So I bought several of them (they're a super-cheap vendor pet) until I got a P/P breed. Then I leveled them from 1 to 25 and used a flying battle stone to make it rare (they are uncommon when you buy them). Worth it? So far, not really. But I wanted to have what I thought was the "best" flying pet with flying abilities on tap.

However, you don't have to play the game to that level. You can probably do almost all of the battle pet achievements without worrying too deeply about breed. The Strong/Weak mechanic, combined with the pet quality is probably good enough.

Its another part of the shallow/deep spectrum that World of Warcraft provides in its game play.

Safina
Top Rater
Pet Score:8336
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Safina » January 26th, 2013, 5:11 pm

I guess It's just something that I never really understood ><. thanks on the advice though! I may go after certain ones or all. I don't know yet lol. But I did notice that some are not able to get that one stat advantage from what I saw in the charts. so I guess I'll work with that chart ^^.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » January 26th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Keep in mind, also, that the more balanced a pet is, the fewer points it has in total.

For example, a P/P (all Power) Flayer Youngling has:
H: 1400
P: 325
S: 260

Where as a B/B (balanced) one has:
H: 1481
P: 276
S: 276

You gain 81 health and 16 points of speed, but lose 49 points of power.
(much like stamina, health is a 'less expensive' stat than speed or power)

So by getting a more balanced pet, you sacrifice overall total stat points.
ImageImage

Lisanette
Top Rater
Pet Score:6418
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Lisanette » January 27th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Just wanted to throw something in there: the breed id bonus is applied to the basestats, that differs a lot. It can even differ within a group of pets with same kind and/or with same ability-set.

For full list take a look at my google-doc raid one. (cant write more now, not at home for a week. :-( miss my comp... )
I <3 my Wolfie
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anwxfm9jABocdDItb1N6QlhvbnMzQVVHQWgtOVBnWFE]Google-doc with all breeds and ability sets[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151106511417504.417452.700887503&type=3]Facebook photoalbum with pet-related stuff[/url]

Minoke
Pet Score:1445
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Minoke » January 27th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Why isn't there a breed of 1 or 2? It goes right to 3 first... odd.