Your team

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Màndorla
Pet Score:2049
Realm:Nemesis-eu
Your team

Post by Màndorla » January 24th, 2013, 4:08 am

What's your favorite team?

Currently I'm using Nexus Whelpling, Emerald Proto-Whelp and Scourged Whelpling (a green one), and I find it truly effective....I win most every time :D

I would like to try with an Azure Whelpling, though, Mana Surge miss too much....

But for now I think is the best team which whom i tried!

What's yours?

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: Your team

Post by Gromagrim » January 24th, 2013, 7:44 am

Hello Màndorla,

Are you using this team for Tamer battles, against wild pets or in pvp battles?

I mainly battle against Tamers, for the reward bags and mainly the experience I can get for my pets. Due to this, I use many different level 25 pets, two of them and a low level pet to benefit from the experience.

Level 25s I commonly use include Spawn of Onyxia (or Onyxian Whelpling), Disgusting Oozeling (or Jade Oozeling), Emerald Proto-drake, Fluxfire Feline, Tolai Hare, Cenarion Hatchling and Nether Faerie Dragon

Màndorla

Post by Màndorla » January 24th, 2013, 9:56 am

Hi Gromarin, I didn't specified that I use this team for PvP (still leveling those pets, though), for tamers I use Rapana Whelk (amazing), Alpine Foxling, Summit Kid and Mirror Strider or Wild Jade Hatchling (which isn't so good) ...but I have only few lvl 25, so my choice is restricted!
With Rapana Whelk, anyway, I can do the dailys easily

Can you suggest me a fast way for leveling pets? At the moment I'm using PvP, but it's not the best, at all.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 24th, 2013, 11:57 am

As far as leveling, be aware if you have level 25 pets helping they take zero experience from the other pets.

So this is what I do, take a pet that I want to level and two 25s into a normal battle or even Tamer battle. Have the low level one in first spot and take one hit at the opponent, just needs to live through it, doesn't even have to land the attack. Rotate in the 25s to finish the battle and your first bet gets all the exp. I have seen jumps from level 5 to level 8 or better doing this. Tamer battles generally give better exp, but can be tougher fights depending on where you go. I find the ones in Deadwind pass and Winterspring are good for low level pets. Other tamers are great as long as you have a pair of 25s that can beat the 3 opponents.

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Màndorla

Post by Màndorla » January 24th, 2013, 2:13 pm

WoW, I didn't knew that pets can be boosted like this, great advice, thank you!!!

Finally I can exp all the pets that I want, great :D

Boxfox
Pet Score:1121
Realm:Blackhand-us

Post by Boxfox » January 29th, 2013, 8:23 am

Your first pet does not need to attack, or do anything else, to get xp. Have it in your first slot and make your very first move a pet change. They get full xp for this without having to risk getting hit. This way you can take a lvl 1 into a lvl 25 battle with zero worry.

As for my team, I have no 25s yet, but my team can still kill them. I use a Shore Crawler with the claw attack, renewing mists, and shell shield. He was soloing 25's at 20, which isn't a big deal I guess, but I never really needed another pet usually for a team of 3. Battles take a long time because that's how the pet works...very defensive.
My second pet is a Crimson Shale Spider with the healing skill in slot 1, web, and the armor in slot 3 (requires 20). Same principle, you shield, which lasts 5 rounds, then just 2/1/2/1 and replenish your shield while it still has 1 round on it (so it never falls off).
My third pet is always different...it's a testing slot or a leveling slot...whatever. In the extremely rare circumstances where my Crab can't kill everyone, my Shale Spider finishes their team.
I don't pvp, and havn't tested my team in pandarian trainers yet...just kalimdor and EK, but it's great for leveling and very very good at catching rares, since damage output is normally fairly average/low...it's very easy to predict.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 29th, 2013, 10:46 am

Boxfox wrote:Your first pet does not need to attack, or do anything else, to get xp. Have it in your first slot and make your very first move a pet change. They get full xp for this without having to risk getting hit. This way you can take a lvl 1 into a lvl 25 battle with zero worry.
Did they change this? Use to be a pet had to do something in order to get xp.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » January 29th, 2013, 1:37 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:Did they change this? Use to be a pet had to do something in order to get xp.
Being in the opening slot is considered doing something, since a swap eats an action and your next pet takes two hits.

Alternately, pets with a suicide function (Darkmoon Zeppelin, Minfernal, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, etc.) can blow themselves up to kill the last enemy and accomplish the same thing - if the L25 is DEAD at the end of the fight, the lowbie(s) get all of the XP, regardless of action or inaction.
ImageImage

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 29th, 2013, 2:42 pm

This must have changed recently then, because it used to be that if you began with your leveling pet and swapped on round 1, he wouldn't get any XP. I'm with GilroyKilroy on that one.

He could have jumped in mid-fight and swapped on the next round, having taken no action himself, but he had to have been there for one enemy action, may he had gotten attacked on that opportunity or not. If he's there on the first round and swaps on the first round, he swaps before the enemy has taken an action and therefor was not considered has having participated in that fight yet.

Possible that it has changed recently though, I haven't leveled any pets in a couple weeks... But I leveled over 30 to level 25 before that and I know for sure that's how it worked.

Tasenet
Pet Score:2765
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Tasenet » January 29th, 2013, 3:34 pm

When leveling some pets today they would not receive XP unless they attacked or were attacked in return. Don't remember seeing if the enemy pet buffing still allowed for XP.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 29th, 2013, 4:34 pm

i'll usually allow my leveling pet to try to get a hit in, but it doesn't matter. I have had him as the first pet, swapped him out and he's still gotten xp. I have brought him in, let him take a hit take him back out without doing any other action, and he gets xp and yes, if all your other pets die and he has never come into the fight but you win on the last turn of your other pet, you also get xp. As long as you're playing with 25s, your non 25 will get xp. (unless you leave him in the back the entire fight)

My favorite team is:
Celestial Dragon
Flayer Youngling
Clockwork Gnome

GilroyKilroy
MVP

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 29th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Well I just tried having my low level pet in first with immediate swap and no xp was gained. Perhaps there was some AOE damage received while it was in the background and that counted?

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 29th, 2013, 10:49 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:Well I just tried having my low level pet in first with immediate swap and no xp was gained. Perhaps there was some AOE damage received while it was in the background and that counted?
I just tried this myself and can also attest to this. The leveling pet HAS to be in the battle for a full round to get any xp. You can pass the first round, but you can't just switch pets... and aoe damage doesn't count.

Now I have seen a rotation where the leveling pet can be just swapped out without risking any damage, but in that case, it is the second pet in the line up... and that rotation requires starting with a pet that has a stun, and goes as follows:

Round 1) Stun the front opposing pet
Round 2) Swap in the leveling pet
Round 3) Swap out the leveling pet for a level 25
Round 4) Finish the battle normally

With that rotation, the leveling pet risks no damage, even though it is in the battle for a full round. It won't work against critters though, as they don't stay stunned long enough.

Oh, and as for leveling pets via tamer battles... I have put a level 1 up against Farmer Nishi and it went to level 11 at the end of the battle. I can usually solo Nishi's entire team with a single P/P breed Emperor Crab.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 30th, 2013, 5:38 am

1)Start with 25
2)Battle with 25 till it dies
3)Switch in lowbie
4)Switch out lowbie for second 25

This is guarenteed to give the lowbie the experience, and it won't risk taking a full hit.

GilroyKilroy
MVP

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 31st, 2013, 2:11 pm

Gromagrim wrote:1)Start with 25
2)Battle with 25 till it dies
3)Switch in lowbie
4)Switch out lowbie for second 25

This is guarenteed to give the lowbie the experience, and it won't risk taking a full hit.
That worked :)

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 31st, 2013, 3:46 pm

Well, my team varies with every fight. I primarily to PvE pet battles and wild farming.

I have found that my Anubisath Idol totally rocks. I've solo'd Aki the Chosen and Farmer Nishi with my Idol. And typically two man Obalis with him as well.

For the tamer near Kara (Lydia), she can be solo'd easily with a frog. I use Mojo's tongue lash vs her undead and the kiss vs the elemental.

For the tamer in Winterspring (Trixxie) I just use my Flayer Youngling to solo all 3 pets.

I've also found that my Flayer Youngling can solo any group of 3 wild pets in the Heartland and my Jade Owl can solo any group of 3 aquatics near a lake in the Vale.

I've found that I can use some tamers, like Major Paine, to level specific pets. For example, currently, my Fluxfire Feline can take out the bear and half the Mechapeep so if I'm leveling an elemental and it's 20 or higher I'll use it on Paine then swap it out against the flower. Same goes for Bloodknight Antari. I haven't found a reliable 2 man combo for these two tamers yet but they can be used to level pets in their 20's in some instances.