Most Underrated pets.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Maievshadow
Pet Score:10853
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu
Most Underrated pets.

Post by Maievshadow » January 20th, 2013, 8:03 pm

In threads like this, you always see people saying how pets like Rapana Whelk/Flayer Youngling and others are awesome, and they are. However, what about awesome pets that you dont hear about?

Imo, Gilnean Raven and Feline Familiar. Gilnean raven has Call Darkness, which blinds targets, giving its Nocturnal Strike a 100% hit chance, this rips aquatic pets apart. and Feline Familiar has Prowl + Call Darkness, which insta-kills ANY dragonkin, and its super good at farming critters in Farmland (To level pets) thanks to Stoneskin and Devour.

Byoteki
Pet Score:2123
Realm:Destromath-us

Re: Most Underrated pets.

Post by Byoteki » January 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Pterrordax Hatchling's heal is very powerful allowing you to heal almost 1/2 of your health. one of the underrated ones that is worth while

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 20th, 2013, 9:01 pm

I love moths. I personally use a Garden Moth, but I'm sure there are more optimal types/breeds out there. I probably use my moth in 1/4 of my trainer daily teams, they're my go-to against aquatics.

Nyara79
Pet Score:1782
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Nyara79 » January 20th, 2013, 9:07 pm

My stunted shardhorn is one of my go-tos. P/P hits like a truck. I also love snakes, since I don't have a terrible turnip and they have a wide range of hit damage.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » January 20th, 2013, 9:10 pm

I absolutely love my baby ape. My molten hatchling is pretty badass too. Was the first one I upgraded.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » January 21st, 2013, 2:46 am

Pterrordax Hatchling for Feign Death and Apocalypse if I know I can drag a fight out that long.

Wolpertinger is surprisingly fun against the tamers.

Nordrassil Wisp is probably the most annoying pet to go up against!
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » January 21st, 2013, 3:33 am

Darkmoon Zeppelin for leveling pets through dailies. With his Decoy ability you can avoid huge damage and key moves, and his Explode ability even allows leveling of lv1 pets. Amazing pet.

Chrominius is excellent for tamer dailies, they won't switch on Howl like players would do, Bite against many critters or Surge of Power for one-shoting enemy pets. Ravage is better than Surge of Power on some fights.

Mawder
Pet Score:2555
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Mawder » January 22nd, 2013, 11:16 pm

Tiny Snowman and Tranquil Mechanical Yeti

Màndorla
Pet Score:2049
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Màndorla » January 23rd, 2013, 7:54 am

Quillen Cub I must say

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 23rd, 2013, 9:21 am

They have been mentioned a few times, but I really like Nether Faerie Dragonling. I have 2 rares, a Breed 4 (P/P) for taking out flyers - It's Dragonling with Magic attacks, so Super def and Super attack. I also have a Breed 5 (S/S) for other fights ,as the fast dodge, plus the synergy between the other two attacks makes them a nice sustained damage pet which can avoid the worst hits of the enemy.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

I'll post these for fun. Not familiar with all of them, but they all offer a very unique combination of Pet Family and Attack Types that no other pet obtainable by players can offer.

Mech. Pandaren Dragonling (Mechanical with Dragonkin attack(s))
Purple Puffer (Aquatic with Dragonkin attack(s))
Rabid Nut Varmint 5000 (Mechanical with Undead attack(s))
Lifelike Toad (Mechanical with Critter attack(s))
Dragon Kite (Flying with Mechanical attack(s))
Scourged Whelpling (Undead with Humanoid attack(s))
Spirit Crab (Undead with Aquatic attack(s))
Emerald Turtle (Aquatic with Magic attack(s))

Caniki
Pet Score:7379
BattleTag®:Caniki#1336
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Caniki » January 23rd, 2013, 12:10 pm

Enchanted Broom is fantastic. I strongly recommend you give it a try.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 23rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

Baby Ape for sure. I never see anyone use these and I love mine. I was lucky enough to get a rare p/p (4/14) breed and its a wonderful pet; would be nice if it had a dodge/invulnerability mechanic, but hey when you hit as hard as this little fella wont really have a use to dodge! ;) lol

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 23rd, 2013, 2:26 pm

Knotrandall wrote:I love moths. I personally use a Garden Moth, but I'm sure there are more optimal types/breeds out there. I probably use my moth in 1/4 of my trainer daily teams, they're my go-to against aquatics.
I use an Amber Moth (breed P/S) for tamer battles vs aquatics myself.

...and I was so please with the P/P breed Emperor Crab that I went out of my way to get 3 of them.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » January 23rd, 2013, 3:40 pm

I agree that moths are pretty awesome, and you should take a look at the highest attack moth of them all! Yellow Moth has 341 power and 244 speed (366 with the Flying type bonus!).

The only downside is that you have to use a battle stone to upgrade it to rare, since it's a vendor pet. It also might take a few purchases to get the 4/14 (P/P) breed, as there are three breeds available. At 50s a pop though, it won't break the bank.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 23rd, 2013, 4:22 pm

I know Flyers have a great speed boost while over half HP, but with abilities like Alpha Strike and Cocoon Strike.. wouldn't more Speed still be preferable on Moths?

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » January 23rd, 2013, 11:28 pm

Notamonk wrote:Baby Ape for sure. I never see anyone use these and I love mine. I was lucky enough to get a rare p/p (4/14) breed and its a wonderful pet; would be nice if it had a dodge/invulnerability mechanic, but hey when you hit as hard as this little fella wont really have a use to dodge! ;) lol
Those bananas saved me many a time. he is one of my most used pets.

I've been playing the worgen raven lately and it is pretty nasty. Have been working him into my rotation regularly.

Winterfell
Pet Score:2034
Realm:C'Thun-eu

Post by Winterfell » January 24th, 2013, 8:15 am

Doobjanka wrote:Nordrassil Wisp is probably the most annoying pet to go up against!
I'd like to use the Nordrassil Wisp in PvP (combined with Ragnaros, to counter all the FFF teams) but I haven't been able to make it shine. Most all breeds have very low power and an unimpressive attack set. Do you use Flash + Light and then swap out? What's your strategy?

Màndorla
Pet Score:2049
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Màndorla » January 24th, 2013, 10:03 am

Winterfell wrote:
Doobjanka wrote:Nordrassil Wisp is probably the most annoying pet to go up against!
I'd like to use the Nordrassil Wisp in PvP (combined with Ragnaros, to counter all the FFF teams) but I haven't been able to make it shine. Most all breeds have very low power and an unimpressive attack set. Do you use Flash + Light and then swap out? What's your strategy?
I tried it too in PvP and i found it pretty useless, with a Nexus Whelpling and a Proto-Drake Whelp. I used Flash and Light, but I think it's not a good battle pet :(

Poutinette
MVP
Pet Score:4898
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Poutinette » January 24th, 2013, 10:26 am

I got a very fast Elfin Rabbit that I always use against the Pandaren Earth Spirit and in general, against pets that have heavy hitting moves with cool-down.

When you use your dodge and burrow wisely, you can actually beat them easy.