Darkmoon Rabbit vs. Other Rabbits?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us
Darkmoon Rabbit vs. Other Rabbits?

Post by Jimbodan » January 17th, 2013, 10:19 am

So I went out and got myself a breed 5 Darkmoon Rabbit since I've seen a lot of people recommending breed 5 rabbits for various tasks and I figured if I was going to use a rabbit, I might as well use the rarest one. However I quickly noticed that his unique slot 1 ability, Huge, Sharp Teeth!, seemed inferior to Flurry which the other rabbits have for slot 1.

Basically it seems like the default setup for breed 5 rabbits is Flurry in slot 1, Dodge in slot 2, and Burrow in slot 3. With the Darkmoon Rabbit you're stuck with Huge, Sharp Teeth! in slot 1 which deals less damage then Flurry. I guess RNG could play a small role with how many times Flurry hits, but since you'd almost always be going first I'd think that with average luck it would still do more damage since the bleed effect from Huge, Sharp Teeth! doesn't seem to work if you spam it, which you'd have to do since Burrow and Dodge have CD's. Maybe the dot ticking while you use burrow and dodge might make up the difference?

So is the Darkmoon Rabbit inferior to other rabbits that have Flurry, or am I missing something?

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Re: Darkmoon Rabbit vs. Other Rabbits?

Post by Zaelo » January 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

He's just... a little different.

The strength of rabbits reside mostly in Dodge and Burrow, and he does have both abilities at least.
But where other rabbits would have multi-attack of the Critter type, he has a one hit attack + DoT of the Beast Type.

In other words, he'll be more efficient at killing critters than any other rabbit will ever be.
And he will not take down Undeads as fast as other rabbits will.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

Rng is rng. but in theory Huge Sharp Teeth should pull slightly ahead because of the bleed ticks while you are using dodge and burrow. while Flurry is only an 1 round damaging ability.

Basically use which ever one you want, if you don't want your darkmoon rabbit I will happily take it off of your hands for you though! ;) lol

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 17th, 2013, 11:35 am

I prefer the one big hit vs the multiple hit abilities because of abilities like shell shield and sandstorm.

Nothing is worse that seeing Shell Shield and knowing one of your abilities has been completely negated. At least the one big hit will still some level of damage.

That's why I choice to level my Death Bunny over other Bunnies.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 17th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Talmar wrote:I prefer the one big hit vs the multiple hit abilities because of abilities like shell shield and sandstorm.
Yeah me too, and add Brittle Webbing to that list.
(Although in this specific case, the bleed will also be bad agaisnt Brittle Webbing...)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 17th, 2013, 4:27 pm

It's good to have both. I'd prefer the regular rabbits for PvP since undead are a lot more common there. The Darkmoon rabbit should tend to be more useful on tamers though, especially the Earth Spirit--I bet he can solo that fight.

Also, Huge Sharp Teeth doesn't deal quite as much damage as Flurry (going first), but it's closer than it looks. DoTs tick on the turn they're applied so HST does 21 on the first turn, versus 25 for Flurry on average. Assuming you use Dodge and Burrow on cooldown, or close to it, you'll usually get one more tick from each HST, and unlike Flurry the extra damage will be dealt even if they avoid your attack for the turn.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » January 17th, 2013, 9:55 pm

IMHO, the best Rabbit is a Breed 5 (S/S) Grasslands Cottontail.
Not too fast (so you're not wasting your stat), and quite a bit of power to spare for attacks.

Health: 1400
Power: 260
Speed: 325
ImageImage

Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Jimbodan » January 18th, 2013, 6:51 am

Thanks! Good to know it wasn't a complete waste to get the right breed and level it.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 18th, 2013, 8:34 am

wait a second - WTF. The darkmoon pets come in different battle ids? That's not right.

{update}
Ok, I just went and checked. The Darkmoon tonk, monkey, zepelin and hatchling only have one Breed ID. Those are the ones I got first, so so far i'm ok.
The turtle, which I don't have yet also only has one id.

The rabbit and the cub (also don't have yet) have more than one battle id. Better hope you get what you want early on. I'd hate to have 6 of them and still trying to get the right id. I think I might have to hurt someone at that point.

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 18th, 2013, 8:46 am

How is everyone getting groups together to kill it? I haven't seen anyone forming a group for the darkmoon rabbit ever, and I don't even think my guildmates even know it exists.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 18th, 2013, 10:58 am

Knotrandall wrote:How is everyone getting groups together to kill it? I haven't seen anyone forming a group for the darkmoon rabbit ever, and I don't even think my guildmates even know it exists.
The 2 times I have joined the rabbit hunt I was in a main city with the Trade Channel on. The organizer advertized there and I responded. The fight both times happened pretty quick so it fills up fast it seems, both times I was about 15th added and battle happened within 15 minutes. I did not win either time. :(

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Varda
Pet Score:1917
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Varda » January 21st, 2013, 7:55 pm

Jimbodan wrote: So is the Darkmoon Rabbit inferior to other rabbits that have Flurry, or am I missing something?
Maybe. But as Huge, Sharp Teeth causes 'bleeding' you could try him together with a pet with Maul or Blood in the Water.