Profession Based Pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Profession Based Pets

Post by Quintessence » February 17th, 2012, 10:21 pm

There are already quite a few BoE mini-pets that come from professions, but what if ALL professions (primary and secondary) had a BoE pet associated with it? I think that would be awesome!

The big question: What pets would fit each profession though? (Either crafted or dropped but all BoE.)

Here are the professions that currently do NOT have any companion pet connected with it:
  • - Herbalism
    - Skinning
    - Alchemy
    - Blacksmithing
    - Leatherworking
    - Tailoring
    - Cooking
    - First Aid
Godspetproject mentioned a gingerbread man pet for Cooking, and a doll or puppet from Tailoring in the other thread; both great ideas! I also wouldn't mind being able to craft a kite or papier-mâché critter/item on my Inscriptionist. A chance for a new lasher-type/flower companion (like the blue ones with a unique model from the Lawn of the Dead quest chain) to drop for Herbalists definitely seems doable.

What does everyone else think? If all professions had an appropriate BoE pet associated with it, what would they be?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Re: Profession Based Pets

Post by Domie » February 18th, 2012, 3:00 am

I like this thread! and i like the 2 ideas given by Godspetproject, but where are your ideas Quintessence ? D:

Anyways, here goes some from me :)

Herbalism - some sort of flower, a treeant, or maybe even a dryad?
Skinning - I cant really find something that fits, but maybe a miniature worgen :P Else some other kinda of wild animal, could be everything from deer to bear tbh.
Alchemy - some kind of failed experiment, a mutation of some sort, tho dont know how to make this without getting it to look creepy :(
Blacksmithing - maybe a weapon that follows you, flying, and sometimes hack,slash and stabs into the air, with some fancy one colored glow around it, would probaly work best as a sword/dagger. Maybe make it so you would need 1 item made by BS, and one by enchanting, and then combine those 2 for it.
Inscription - A magic pencil or brush that sometimes draw "runes" into the air in shiny colors, and the runes then kinda falls to the ground, disolving, in a few seconds. Hope you get how i mean, not like one whole, but falls apart like dust, and then all is gone after a little time.
Jewelcrafting -
Leatherworking -
Tailoring -
Cooking - A full roasted chicken :D
First Aid - A saint bernhardt dog ! Like this for those that dont know it/remember from the name: http://www.pluspets.net/wp-content/uplo ... rnard9.jpg

Cant come up with rest for now, but even tho i came up with them rather fast, i actualy like some of these ideas :D

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » February 18th, 2012, 6:45 am

To carry on with the ones Domie missed:

Jewelcrafting - A gem-style panther, like the China/Taiwan-only pets.
Leatherworking - A voodoo doll, like a leathery little creep :P
Tailoring - A mini flying carpet!

For skinning, too, you could have some kind of parasite that you "discover" while skinning a creature.
And herbalism could be a bug that you find on a plant, like a ladybird or something cute :P

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 18th, 2012, 8:52 am

Mine so far were:
- Inscription - craftable kite or papier-mâché/origami critter.
- Herbalism - a chance to loot a new lasher-type/flower companion (like the blue ones with a unique model from the Lawn of the Dead quest chain).

Here's my shot at the rest (it was tough to come up with pets for these professions!):
- Skinning - a chance to loot an insect egg that can hatch into maybe a couple different types of bugs. We have Mr. Grubbs, so what about Mrs. Grubbs? XD

- Alchemy - craftable slime pet that changes color whenever you summon it. There are already models for this type of slime mob, but for a vanity pet it would be much smaller and... cuter (if possible? Hah!)

- Blacksmithing - craftable tin/toy soldier that stands at attention and salutes when someone does the salute emote at it.

- Jewelcrafting - craftable *insert gemstone/precious stone here* critter. So something like an obsidian panther with emerald eyes, a moonstone hare with ruby eyes, etc.

- Leatherworking - craftable WoW version of the Velveteen Rabbit. Or a rolling and bouncing leather ball lol.

- Tailoring - craftable WoW version of the Velveteen Rabbit. Same as leatherworking since these two professions both deal with stitching cloth/leather together. Or as many have suggested before, a mini-flying carpet lol.

- Cooking - a quest chain to trade in a goat for "magical" beans that would lead to a fight with an ogre chef. The reward would be a goose that lays golden eggs! The eggs would be duds, though. Even though it's a quest chain the pet would still be BoE (like the Mechanical Chicken quest chain).

- First Aid - a vendored miniature humanoid re-animated skeleton (since we can't keep the Macabre Marionette :P). For anatomical learning purposes of course. ;) Or perhaps a rescued lab rat/guinea pig.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » February 18th, 2012, 10:52 am

Sunscorch wrote:To carry on with the ones Domie missed:

Jewelcrafting - A gem-style panther, like the China/Taiwan-only pets.

Leatherworking - A voodoo doll, like a leathery little creep :P
Tailoring - A mini flying carpet!

For skinning, too, you could have some kind of parasite that you "discover" while skinning a creature.
And herbalism could be a bug that you find on a plant, like a ladybird or something cute :P
Ohh, we need this so much, they look very nice! :)

And quint, dont know why i didnt think of ooze/slime when thinking of alchemy, they really got that "failed experiment" over them :)

Some good ideas from both of you, i hope we got some blizz employers spying on our little forum here :P

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » February 18th, 2012, 1:17 pm

A lot of good ideas. I especially like the origami pet and of course the parasite bug pet! :)

I think the first aid pet should be a mummy *cough*ethereal*cough*.
Mingyao on Madoran

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » February 18th, 2012, 2:38 pm

So which ones have pets now..? Archeology, Enchanting, Fishing, Mining, and of course Engineering.. An I missing any?

This is a fun thread! So many cute ideas! I'll have to read through this more carefully when I have time, please don't take offense if I'm mentioning something already said and not giving credit..

Herbalism - This could be so many things, maybe multiple pets! Cute little lashers and the like, how about a walking version of the Wailing Weeds that fight you in that little quest in Mt Hyjal? Or something from the Lawn of the Dead quests as already mentioned by Quintessence.

Skinning - Well, I don't want a flayed skin following me around! How about a creature that has a small chance to release the spirit when you skin, and the spirit will bond to you, so you have like a little ghost pet that follows you around. Do it with a positive spin, I'm thinking like demons that are skinnable, you "saved" it from something demonic by killing it so it's happy to be with you.. The resulting pet wouldn't look like the demonic model.

Alchemy - Some kind of goo creation. Or it could be a transmute, the traditional meaning of alchemy, a little gold pet.

Blacksmithing - An anvil. It sits in one place like the Tiny Snowman, LOL. I realize that's dull, but it strikes me as funny.. What else can they make, oh, maybe a key that floats after you? Oh, how about a tiny set of magical armor that walks around after you!

Inscription - I'd like an origami pet, with some magic runes you wrote on it to make it alive. Maybe a cute little paper puppy, barking and digging and wagging his tail! Another idea would be something that dispenses fortunes, kind of like the guy at DMF (I wouldn't expect money like the fortune cookies). The kite or magic writing brush also mentioned already would be good.

Jewelcrafting - Since you make various jewel "creatures" as trinkets that help you, something like that as a permanent pet would make sense and be easy to implement. Or a "charm bracelet" that will summon a pet in a random color (different colors of charms). Those crystal animals you see in jewelry store, I love those! Like these here http://www.allthingscrystal.com/crystal ... rines.html or something like the cheesy jeweled brooches http://ajrhinestonejewelry.com/Store_Sw ... ewelry.htm

Leatherworking - Hopefully not Leatherface following you around! A cute toy animal would make sense.

Tailoring - Again, a cute toy would be good. Hopefully something nicer than the little teddy bear/practice dummy thing they use all the time in WoW, you know. I collect plush toys IRL, so many cute things you could make! Maybe the toy could follow you on a tiny flying carpet..

Cooking - I like the ginger bread man idea. Most things, I don't want them to be alive after I cook them!

First Aid - A little mummy doll as was already mentioned, that would be adorable!

They should really be able to do more with Enchanting than the lanterns, too. I mean it's enchanting.. Magic!
Last edited by Lysi on February 18th, 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » February 18th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Lysi wrote:Blacksmithing - An anvil. It sits in one place like the Tiny Snowman, LOL. I realize that's dull, but it strikes me as funny.. What else can they make, oh, maybe a key that floats after you? Oh, how about a tiny set of magical armor that walks around after you!
I like the magical armor idea, like the old school armor sets you see in some older cartoons (i guess its scooby doo on my mind, not sure :P ), a classic middleage armor with the helmet that can be pushed up in the front for a clear vision out.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » February 18th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Domie wrote:I like the magical armor idea, like the old school armor sets you see in some older cartoons (i guess its scooby doo on my mind, not sure :P ), a classic middleage armor with the helmet that can be pushed up in the front for a clear vision out.
Yeah, just like that.. I'm sure there are armor sets already in the game that would work.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 18th, 2012, 7:43 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:A lot of good ideas. I especially like the origami pet and of course the parasite bug pet! :)

I think the first aid pet should be a mummy *cough*ethereal*cough*.
A mini-mummy! That would be awesome, although I'd prefer a different model than the ethereals. Something that actually looks like a typical mummy... but a cute one. :P
Lysi wrote:Skinning - Well, I don't want a flayed skin following me around! How about a creature that has a small chance to release the spirit when you skin, and the spirit will bond to you, so you have like a little ghost pet that follows you around. Do it with a positive spin, I'm thinking like demons that are skinnable, you "saved" it from something demonic by killing it so it's happy to be with you.. The resulting pet wouldn't look like the demonic model.
I really like this one! The spirit/ghost of an animal following you around. I'm sure that would make all the hunters with spirit beasts squee if the spirit pet matched their hunter pets. ;) If I played my hunter more I know I'd be VERY excited lol.

Poesy
Pet Score:10448
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Poesy » March 5th, 2012, 5:42 pm

There are a lot of cute ideas in this thread. I really like the gingerbread man idea for cooking, and I think allowing jewelcrafters to make a pet version of one (or, dare I dream, all) of their figurine trinkets makes a lot of sense.

For inscription, the existing origami toys seem a bit lackluster, but my scribe would love to have a little flock of origami cranes to follow her around. Bonus points if they react somehow when they're near a fire source, like the Plump Turkey does.

For first aid, I like the St. Bernard puppy idea, or perhaps a nightingale!

For herbalism, much as I love the plant-type pets, I think it's kind of too easy for it to be another lashling. I would personally like to see a fat little bumblebee pet! Although I guess the apiphobic among us might not care for that, so maybe a fancy butterfly?

For skinning, I would love a vulture pet, like the blue and gold jousters minus the doll. Someone at Blizzard seems to have a hate on for vultures, but they are very beneficial animals! Who else is going to clean up all those carcasses?

I couldn't think of anything for leatherworking that didn't venture into "it puts the lotion..." territory. Maybe a little pinto pony? They look sort of stitched together, in a way...

For blacksmithing, I like the idea of a miniature suit of armor, but I would prefer a little tin soldier personally. If scribes could make paper ballerinas to match, all the better!

For tailoring, the ragdoll idea is adorable and easily implemented, but if it's okay to go out on a limb, I'd like to see a ball of yarn pet. I know knitting/crocheting isn't quite the same as tailoring, but I think it would be cute to have a ball of yarn follow you around on knitting needle legs, getting chased by the cat pets, knitting a scarf out of itself and unraveling again while you sit at the AH... I love pets that do things and interact with each other!

Speaking of which, my idea for alchemy is similar -- making a simple object ridiculously complex -- but my pet collector character is an alchemist, so I have to go all out for her. While I would love and adore another squidgy oozeling-type pet to make a whole battle team's worth of slime, especially if it had a face like Chet, I feel like it would really have to do something to make it on par with the Disgusting Oozeling and Toxic Wasteling. In keeping with the alchemy theme, my idea is this: The ooze comes in a random primary color (red, yellow, blue) when summoned. When it encounters another ooze pet of a different primary color, they do a little merge-and-split dance and both come away in a secondary color (orange, green, purple). For example, if I had a blue ooze out, and it came across someone's yellow ooze, they would both turn green. If two secondary colored oozes meet, like a green one and an orange one, the resulting reaction makes them burst in a shower of tiny colorful slimes! *cackle* ...Well, maybe I would be the only one interested in making a slimebow go off at the bank, but still.

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » March 31st, 2012, 3:48 pm

Haha, I want more Murloc pets. I actually want profession specific Murloc pets so you can represent your profession even more.

Herbalism - A Murloc carrying a potted plant like a gardener
Skinning - A Murloc wearing a coon skin cap
Alchemy - A Murloc that pulls out a glowing beaker which it drinks from, and occassionally causes it to mutate.
Blacksmithing - A Murloc with a BS apron, carrying around a hammer and glowing tongs or horseshoe.
Inscription - A Murloc wearing big nerdy glasses and reading a book
Jewelcrafting - A Murloc with a jeweler's eyepiece carrying around a diamond
Leatherworking - A Murloc with a black leather jacket
Tailoring - A Murloc wearing a random "race" (Tauren, Human, Gob, etc) costume (kind of like the opposite of the Murloc costume)
Cooking - A Murloc with a chef's hat and coat
First Aid - A Murloc dressed and walking like as a mummy

Etusn

Post by Etusn » April 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm

for alchemy should be a walking or floating lava lamp lol

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm