Share pet collecting news and advice.
Vaerosi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10251
BattleTag®:Vaerosi#1664
Realm:Hyjal-us
Returning after a looong break.

Post by Vaerosi » January 11th, 2021, 2:36 am

So, uh, hi again guys! tl;dr, I'm back after about three years away! Coincidentally my daughter just turned three, go figure!

Any-who! My collection has gone from "only missing 3 pets, 2 of which I'll never have" to "OMG I have 500 missing pets and have NO CLUE where to start!" I'm one more daily away from earning my Pocket Pet Portal so that I can finally start collecting again, and honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed about where to even start. Wild pets seem to be an obvious starting point, but what would you guys recommend after that? I tried to look at the list of 500 pets and there are just so many different sources (drops, professions, order halls, are they tradable, are my duplicate pets worth anything anymore, etc etc) my brain straight up shut down and said "nope, peace, this is too much all at once" and so here I am!

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: Returning after a looong break.

Post by Rosqo » January 11th, 2021, 4:46 am

I'd start with wild pets like you mentioned and then probably cheaper pet's from the ah like sub 100g stuff.

You can use rematch to search by expansion now so definitely worth using that to determine how much time would need to be invested for each.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 11th, 2021, 6:45 am

For Order Hall pets, those aren't tradable, so you'll need to level a class and do the campaign for each. Thankfully, once you've collected the pet you can summon it on any toon, regardless of class.

Personally, I'd start with what I feel is "easiest" or most convenient/guaranteed to collect. That small sense of accomplishment drives me to seek out more, and well, you just kind of fall into a collecting groove yenno? ;) Wild, quest rewards, achievement rewards, vendor pets, etc. After that, I'd go for those dreaded dropped/RNG-dependent pets. And like Rosqo mentioned, the AH is always an option.

Do what feels most comfortable for you, and collect as quickly or slowly as you please. You'll collect what you want/need eventually, GL!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » January 11th, 2021, 10:05 am

Get yourself the All The Things add-on, set it to show pets in current zone, and just go and explore. You'll pick up the wild pets per zone. Just dive in and enjoy the game, level back up then can go back and smash out retro raids on your own. Worst thing about collecting is the NEED some people have to suddenly have ALL OF IT... NOW. Enjoy the journey. It's only as overwhelming as you make it.

Welcome back and have fun

(Ironically, I've let my sub lapse) :lol:

Vaerosi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10251
BattleTag®:Vaerosi#1664
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Vaerosi » January 12th, 2021, 2:25 am

Thanks guys, this was actually quite helpful. I've still got one more Legion daily for my portal (I keep forgetting to check Dalaran, whoops) and then I'll start with wild and AH pets. I do have a lot of alts, though most are 30-40 now post-squish, so I'll have to look into all those order hall pets at some point for sure. At least they can all be summoned from my main, haha!

Were there any time-sensitive pets in the latter parts of Legion or in BfA at all that aren't obtainable anymore? I saw some store pets were removed (whaaaaaaaat?) but thankfully I had all of those already so I didn't miss any there. I feel so, so out of the loop. There are, like, pet battle dungeons now or something? :o

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » January 12th, 2021, 10:22 am

Don't think so, or at least none come to mind. Couple you'll need friends for - Lagan for example - but just park them and do it eventually (that's my attitude towards it all anyway) :lol:
Vaerosi wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 2:25 am
There are, like, pet battle dungeons now or something? :o
Oh wow, YES. They're a load of fun... there's a storyline that all culminates in a showdown in Blackrock Mountain, and apart from the pets you can buy from the tokens you get as a reward (different per dungeon unfortunately), you can get portals all over the place from the pet shop in (Legion) Dalaran once you've done them once - very helpful!

Gia
Pet Score:12119
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Gia » February 7th, 2021, 3:41 pm

As someone who is STILL playing catchup the advice to take is slow is the best advice! If you try and push yourself too much it won't be fun anymore.

Wild pets are a good start as you said. I wouldn't rush into the achievements and pet dungeons unless you have a library of leveled pets already. There's tons of cheap pets on the Ah too, so that will help!

Also keep in mind that Super Squirt Day is Feb 12th on Us servers :D

Have fun!