Color variants that count as unique pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Shikozu
Pet Score:2621
Realm:Area 52-us
Color variants that count as unique pets?

Post by Shikozu » July 13th, 2019, 3:25 pm

I'm working on the 1,000 pet achievement.

I noticed some pest, like the Swamprush Rodent - the different colors count as unique pets toward the achievement.

Unfortunately, I've not checked the Achievement ticker after a few, so I'm not sure if they are counted toward the total or not.

Is there a list anywhere or some way for me to check if a pet's color variants are counted as unique?

Thanks.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Color variants that count as unique pets?

Post by Quintessence » July 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I don't think color variants count as unique pets, so they shouldn't count toward the 1k unique pet achievement. Last I checked, they still have the same NPC ID, just a different appearance.

If they do count toward the achievement, it's likely unintended and a bug.

What does your achievement tracker show? WarcraftPets has you at 965 unique pets.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Shikozu
Pet Score:2621
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Shikozu » July 14th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I am almost certain that Sumprush Rodent counts as two unique pets. At least it did when I got them (within the last 6 mos). The comments on the pet here even have someone reporting the same thing.

I currently have 969 in inventory and 969 in the achievement tracker. That's with two Sumprush Rodents and three OOX Chickens.

However, the counter for that Achievement does not go down. If you cage a pet in your inventory - the number of unique pets stays the same. So I don't actually know if I'm *really* at 969 or not.

Rabbia73
Pet Score:7074
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Rabbia73 » July 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm

No I'm quite sure colour differences do not cause a pet to be considered unique.

Just look at the colour variations on beetles, for example. There are quite a few, but a particular beetle counts as one pet, even if it has several colour variants.