Recruit a Friend - Going away / how to

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Stormrage-us
Recruit a Friend - Going away / how to

Post by Waynebrady » May 23rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

For those confused about how the refer a friend works, I wanted to do a brief explanation. From Blizzard: "The current Recruit A Friend program will end on June 11, 2019—it will be replaced by a new program at a later date! We’ll have more details to share in the future." This still gives you time to complete it before the revamp (it takes a week total), and collect the 4 pets (and/or mounts): Golden Pig, Jade Tiger, Silver Pig, Zipao Tiger. This new program doesn't mean the old rewards will go away, but you never know.

How to:

1. In game go to the friends tab and click the Recruit a Friend icon in the top right (two hands shaking).
2. From here you will be taken to a screen that asks you to put in a friend's email address. Enter a secondary email that you have (although I believe you may be able to use your existing email tied to your WoW account). I used a secondary email personally.
3. You will be emailed a link to click to begin the process. It will ask you have you want to create a new account, or use an existing account. You can use your existing account. Simply login to your existing account. By choosing to use your existing account, the game will create a new account under your existing one on the WoW launcher. When you open the WoW launcher there will be a drop-down menu for accounts where you will see WoW 1, WoW2, etc.
4. Once the account appears under your WoW launcher, you will need to purchase 3 months of game time for that particular account. You can go to the Blizzard store and purchase the time, then apply it to the correct account.
5. Wait 8 days (edit-thanks Quintessence), and you will be able to select one of the rewards from in-game. This is on your main account that you clicked the RaF button (in step 1) from.

Notes:

-Each account (after you purchase the game time) will allow you to obtain 1 pet or mount, so in order to complete the process for the 4 pets you need to do this same exact process 4 times. Again, you can do this under your existing WoW account. Each account can only have a total of 8 "accounts" under them. Your existing account, WoW1 through WoW7. This means that you can only obtain 4 pets, and 3 (maybe 4?) mounts.

-You used to be required to purchase the game/battle chest itself then 2 months of game time, in order to get one of the rewards. However, in BFA they got rid of the battle chests and they have changed it to only requiring 3 months of game time purchased per account to get one of the rewards. Here is the Wowhead article that explains this change: https://www.wowhead.com/news=287211/rec ... age-revamp

-It takes 8 days (edit-thanks Quintessence) to receive the in-game prompt to receive the reward of your choice.

-I did RAF for the 4 pets back when you had to purchase the battle chest, and just recently did it for the mounts. I am still in my 7 day waiting period to select my reward(s).
Last edited by Waynebrady on May 23rd, 2019, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Recruit a Friend - Going away / how to

Post by Quintessence » May 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

A couple of other things to note from our RAF Community Guide: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18323

- Main account needs to wait 8 days from the time the 3 months game time was applied. (I believe it was shorter prior to the 8.0 RAF changes.)

- To be eligible to claim a reward, the RAF account must be billed 3 months game time and not in a pending transaction. This means if you use a credit card and purchase a subscription and not straight game time or tokens, it's possible you'll have to wait longer if you purchase the month-to-month subscription. The reward will unlock 8 days after the third month of confirmed payment if using a month-to-month subscription.

- To earn the RAF reward as quick as possible, you'll want to buy game time from the Blizzard Store, and/or WoW Tokens, and apply it directly to the RAF account.

Total USD cost for one(1) RAF:
$45 (3 months game time) OR
$42 (3 months subscription) OR
$15 (1 month game time) + Gold price of WoW Token will vary

(For the last option, you cannot buy WoW Tokens on a fresh account and need to have at least 1 month game time applied to "upgrade" it to a full account before gaining access to tokens.)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Waynebrady
Top Rater

Post by Waynebrady » May 23rd, 2019, 9:42 pm

Quintessence wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm
A couple of other things to note from our RAF Community Guide: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18323

- Main account needs to wait 8 days from the time the 3 months game time was applied. (I believe it was shorter prior to the 8.0 RAF changes.)

- To be eligible to claim a reward, the RAF account must be billed 3 months game time and not in a pending transaction. This means if you use a credit card and purchase a subscription and not straight game time or tokens, it's possible you'll have to wait longer if you purchase the month-to-month subscription. The reward will unlock 8 days after the third month of confirmed payment if using a month-to-month subscription.

- To earn the RAF reward as quick as possible, you'll want to buy game time from the Blizzard Store, and/or WoW Tokens, and apply it directly to the RAF account.

Total USD cost for one(1) RAF:
$45 (3 months game time) OR
$42 (3 months subscription) OR
$15 (1 month game time) + Gold price of WoW Token will vary

(For the last option, you cannot buy WoW Tokens on a fresh account and need to have at least 1 month game time applied to "upgrade" it to a full account before gaining access to tokens.)
I appreciate the added info!! I had no idea there was already a guide. I figured I would get a post out on the Pet Collecting forum to spread the word.

One other worthy note, you don't even need to create a character on the new account(s). It's the account that matters, not characters on that account. Although you do receive other perks for leveling from the RaF.

Saite
Pet Score:13760
Realm:Bladefist-eu

Post by Saite » May 23rd, 2019, 11:15 pm

Quick question: can I buy tokens on my main Account 1, convert those tokens to Blizzard Balance and then 'gift' 3 months game time to the new, Account 2?

Ismenot
Pet Score:11226
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Ismenot » May 24th, 2019, 3:25 am

Saite wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 11:15 pm
Quick question: can I buy tokens on my main Account 1, convert those tokens to Blizzard Balance and then 'gift' 3 months game time to the new, Account 2?
Yes you can do that... as I am doing it now too.

I live in EU and use this website https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-gb/produc ... -game-time and click on the GIFT

3 tokens = 3 months so I think you can use the 90 days gift link if am right

Dont forget you get also for your main 1 month free game time :)

Ismenot
Pet Score:11226
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Ismenot » May 24th, 2019, 3:43 am

Just a tip and I hope my english is understandable.. if you dont understand just dont do it lol

I recruit myself ofcourse and use a different email and so that I have 2 or 3 or 4 seperate wow account....

WHY you ask?

For the Blingtron 6000 Gift Package.. as i still need the pet.

And this way I can log the other wow account which can also do the daily Blingtron.
Because you can do Blingtron 6000 Gift Package once per account per day.

Years ago I got the Mekgineer's Chopper inside a blingtron on the recruited account and I was like woaaw

I only do this as blizzard dont give you the level 110 boost when you only use the 3 tokens.... as to get the level 110 boost now you need to buy the World of Warcraft®: Battle for Azeroth® for 44,99

But as I said if you dont understand what I wrote just skip my post and sorry :oops:

Waynebrady
Top Rater

Post by Waynebrady » May 24th, 2019, 9:04 am

Ismenot wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 3:25 am
Saite wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 11:15 pm
Yes you can do that... as I am doing it now too.

I live in EU and use this website https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-gb/produc ... -game-time and click on the GIFT

3 tokens = 3 months so I think you can use the 90 days gift link if am right

Dont forget you get also for your main 1 month free game time :)
This is exactly what I did. 3 months of Game Time is around $41 USD on the Blizzard Store, I bought 3 tokens in game, converted them to Blizzard Balance ($45), then bought the 3 months of game time on the store and applied it to the correct WoW1-7 account. Then once one was done, I bought 3 more tokens, and followed the same process.

Stonedragon
Pet Score:13121
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Stonedragon » June 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm

At 11 days of after doing this right I was still unable to trigger the reward screen. Noticed the recruit a friend button is gone now. Think I am screwed to select a reward when it does trigger. Will it still trigger?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 11th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Stonedragon wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm
At 11 days of after doing this right I was still unable to trigger the reward screen. Noticed the recruit a friend button is gone now. Think I am screwed to select a reward when it does trigger. Will it still trigger?
Blizzard never explained how players would redeem rewards post-RAF hiatus. So you may need to submit a ticket and request assistance from Customer Service regarding any RAF rewards you're eligible for.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Waynebrady
Top Rater

Post by Waynebrady » June 15th, 2019, 11:36 am

Quintessence wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:37 pm
Stonedragon wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm
Blizzard never explained how players would redeem rewards post-RAF hiatus. So you may need to submit a ticket and request assistance from Customer Service regarding any RAF rewards you're eligible for.
Definitely put a ticket in. Last Saturday I was able to login to collect my 3 rewards via the same button (RaF) from step 1. Now that the button is gone, I'm not sure if there is a way to redeem if you haven't collected it.

Tynerina

Post by Tynerina » June 17th, 2019, 1:00 am

Hey everyone,
Today I have received rewards for RAF's which I paid for on June 9th. The button to redeem rewards showed back up where it used to be and disappeared after choosing my rewards, so it seems to have worked for me.

Juddinscire
Pet Score:11492
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Juddinscire » June 18th, 2019, 8:34 am

I can confirm the same thing, picked up my last one today too with the magic disappearing / re-appearing button. *phew*