Polished Pet Charm Spending

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tipperscales
Pet Score:8691
Realm:Argent Dawn-us
Polished Pet Charm Spending

Post by Tipperscales » January 28th, 2019, 4:50 am

Is there a consensus on what to buy with the polished pet charms first? There are so many options I don't know where to begin. :(

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: Polished Pet Charm Spending

Post by FuxieDK » January 28th, 2019, 8:06 am

Pets first
Toys next
1500 -> 2000 pet limit 3rd
Upgrade stones 4th
Level stones last.

Tekulve2018
Pet Score:12103
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Tekulve2018 » January 28th, 2019, 8:35 am

Hiya
This depends on your priority of course. If making gold matters most, sell charms pets while people will still pay to save time.

If collecting is your prioriity, get alts set with resources for more pet charms missions and be sure to do all pet WQs.
Enjoy
:D
Tekulve

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » February 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

FuxieDK wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:06 am
Pets first
Toys next
1500 -> 2000 pet limit 3rd
Upgrade stones 4th
Level stones last.
I think it depends on your level with all your pets ... that will give you the options that bring them all up and to RARE faster.

In my case with over 900 pets all 25 and all of them RARE, it's a bit different ... so I have 4 characters that can go get the charms, and one day I get 80 PC's and the next I get 20 Leveling Stones for a breed or other. Keeping ALL of these on one character ONLY, keeps track of what you can do or not do ... but if I don't feel like doing Ashlei or the Murlocs (in my case I can do them 4 times -- once on each character), I'll just plop a level stone ... boom, pet all the way up!

It's the same cost, for example, if your pet is not RARE at 1, and you use the bump stone, and then turn it RARE with the blue stone. Either way it is 75 PC's (25x3 cost).

Earlier, when I had 100+ pets to level, my concern daily was getting all the stones I could find and scan Dalaran and such for any pet battles that offered level stones for one breed or another and at one time I had over 50 of these stones to use.

At full blast, meaning all the way past 800 pets or so, things change. Your time spending on the game is different than before and you are more likely to spend the PC's and get a Bump Stone (purple), and a Blue Stone and you are done with that pet.

The cost ... in my case, it has been different ... at my level the cheapest pet I can get on the AH is at least 10K or so ... and chasing 20 pets on the Island Expeditions, considering that most of those pets will drop ... FOR SOMEONE ELSE, NOT ME ... is too frustrating and since it is random, the chances of me getting Pet X from Island Y is so difficult and unlikely, that you are better off spending the loo! Don't even think of doing Expeditions unless it is Heroic or more ... and even then, Mythic is where they drop, and guildies were getting them instead of me, which got me bummed out.

But spending a few quid on the silly critter or beasty you don't feel like going to BS103 location ... c'mon ... just get it!

Koleckai
Pet Score:9001
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Koleckai » February 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I have most of the pets that can be purchased from vendors and have 453 or so pets to level to 25 across all types. I spend the majority of my charms on mystery bags. It is the easiest way to get at least 1 level for every two charms at the moment. I already spent enough charms to convert 600+ pets to "rare" quality.

Ganksinatra
Top Rater
Pet Score:7785
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Ganksinatra » March 16th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I've gotten all the pets and toys ages ago, currently holding charms in case there are more releases that will use them. Holding off on the 2000 slot upgrade until needed next expansion.

Djkillj0y
Pet Score:9431
Realm:Terokkar-us

Post by Djkillj0y » May 2nd, 2019, 4:25 pm

I prefer a top down approach of buying the most expensive pets first at the top of my grind and working down to the cheaper ones.

This late in the game it doesn't matter as much but getting 500 charms for the Accursed Hexxer right out of the gate would put you ahead of the game from someone following the opposite strategy. The high cost pets sell for more and their price is only going to fall as the expansion continues and more people either buy their own with charms or buy them for sale because of the high price.

If you're a collector it makes sense to spread out the work, if your a goldmaker it gets you a jump on the market (unless you're a estimated future value follower and the quick cash now is worth more in investing than big cash a little later)

Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Nearlysober » May 3rd, 2019, 3:55 pm

I know none of us know for certain - but what do you think the odds are of them adding more pets to buy with Polished Pet Charms?

In this expansion? Maybe, possibly?
In future expansion? Probably not, right?

I don't recall precisely when the old Pet Charms (now Shiny Pet Charms) were introduced, but it was at least Warlords of Draenor, right? So we got to collect, hoard and use them for 2 xpacs.

Something tells me they're not going to let us hoard them like that again and we'll see them depreciated each expansion going forward. Which I don't mind I suppose as long as they warn us to cash out.

Currently I've got all the pets, toys, upgrades, etc. and I just crossed 2,000 Polished Pet Charms in the bank (mostly from 5 max level characters doing missions and some of the dailies).

Guess for now I'll hold on in case they announce more pets for sale during the expansion, then cash out on leveling stones before they're potentially depreciated.

Djkillj0y

Post by Djkillj0y » May 6th, 2019, 10:59 am

To my knowledge they haven't added any new vendor pets since the start of the expansion. There are the default vendored onces, the quest unlockables like lil benfon and lil tika, and then the faction pets like the war machines but none have been added in 8.1 or 8.1.5. They did add the pets to the dubloon vendor and to the commendation vendor but those are alternate currencies.

So I'd put the possibility at 50/50. There's bound to be new faction buyable pets in 8.2 since we're getting at least three new factions to grind but it's a tossup if they'll be PPC or some new currency. There are 84+ new pets coming in just 8.2 so far. At least 23 are world caught if the achievements on the PTR are to be trusted. Subtract the ones for achievements and the new dungeon and you've still got 55 pets of uncertain provenance.

It's say 5 from quests, 2 from other achievements, 3 from dungeon drops/raid drops and a 70/30 split between rare drops and vendor sold. So about 14 vendored pets in the next patch with that math, subtract 3 for faction vendors and you've got a potential 11 for normal vendor sale.

I personally think they've put a much tighter reign on the amount of charms you can farm. The mission table quest doesn't come up nearly as often and the payout on world quests is paltry. I've had to scrimp and save to buy the pets themselves and that's with farming charms on 4 alts. In legion with the shoulder enchant I was able to buy everything on offer and still have charms to spend on max level upgrade stones. Now I don't think i've bought an upgrade stone of any kind in months because I still need another 2k PPC to finish out all the shop pets.

Nearlysober
Top Rater

Post by Nearlysober » May 9th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Pretty good analysis. I think 8.2 will show us a lot of their intention.

If there are no new pets available for purchase with Polished Pet Charms in 8.2, then I'd put my money on there being no more this expansion and that PPCs will be devalued at the end of the expansion for a new currency.

I don't mind them being devalued as long as we are given proper warning to cash out on stones before they do it.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » May 10th, 2019, 9:00 am

Nearlysober wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:56 pm

If there are no new pets available for purchase with Polished Pet Charms in 8.2, then I'd put my money on there being no more this expansion and that PPCs will be devalued at the end of the expansion for a new currency.

I don't mind them being devalued as long as we are given proper warning to cash out on stones before they do it.
Not a safe assumption. They used the original pet charms for two expansions before replacing them. There's not real telling what they'll do till beta for 9.0.

Science
Pet Score:4652
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Science » May 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Followup question I suppose--what's the pet buying priority for battle pet teams? I took a long hiatus and can't really accurately judge how "valuable" a pet is for battle. I'm only just at 70~ lvl 25 pets, and don't have time to level many pets outside of those star's aligning type events (battle week+squirt), so which pets I buy and choose to level makes a pretty immediate impact on what pets I'll be able to collect. I haven't been able to complete the Celestial Tournament; are any BfA token pets useful there for example?

Tipperscales
Pet Score:8691
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Tipperscales » May 12th, 2019, 12:19 am

Science wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm
Followup question I suppose--what's the pet buying priority for battle pet teams? I took a long hiatus and can't really accurately judge how "valuable" a pet is for battle. I'm only just at 70~ lvl 25 pets, and don't have time to level many pets outside of those star's aligning type events (battle week+squirt), so which pets I buy and choose to level makes a pretty immediate impact on what pets I'll be able to collect. I haven't been able to complete the Celestial Tournament; are any BfA token pets useful there for example?
Yeah, this is what I kinda wanted to know when I started the thread, they put it fairly succinctly.

Nearlysober
Top Rater

Post by Nearlysober » May 12th, 2019, 1:27 am

Gilneas wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 9:00 am
Nearlysober wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Not a safe assumption. They used the original pet charms for two expansions before replacing them. There's not real telling what they'll do till beta for 9.0.
Fair enough... I was just thinking that if they don't do anything new in 8.2.. my gut feels the odds will be reduce.
I won't liquidate 100% of my sock if they don't put anything new... but I'll be on my toes.

Djkillj0y

Post by Djkillj0y » May 14th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Tipperscales wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 12:19 am
Science wrote:
Yeah, this is what I kinda wanted to know when I started the thread, they put it fairly succinctly.
I'm sure some of the BFA pets are useful in all kinds of fights but I haven't seen many of them making their way into common strats for either PVP or PVE yet.

A lot of the pets on offer aren't unique, they're just recolors of other older pets. A moth is a moth is a moth. I am fond of the new frog models like tonguelasher or spawn of kragwa. I think they're superior to older frogs in moveset. There are a couple of nice crabs that have better stat lines like the hermit crab.

The mechanicals from the faction war vendors, the Toy Siege tower etc. look interesting but I haven't gotten mine to 25 yet to really do any testing.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 16th, 2019, 1:20 am

Science wrote:
Followup question I suppose--what's the pet buying priority for battle pet teams? I took a long hiatus and can't really accurately judge how "valuable" a pet is for battle.
This is the guide you want:

https://wow-petguide.com/index.php?m=MostUsedPets

Not about BfA pets specifically, but in general. Ignore the ones with asterisks; their numbers were boosted by their requirement in certain achievements.

I made a comment at the bottom suggesting the best breeds, where applicable.

Of BfA pets, a couple are making their way into strats, especially from the newer strat makers. Hermit Crab is the standout, but that's a wild pet, not relevant to Charms. Some other BfA pets are interesting for niche cases or PvP, but if you just want to get through the recent dungeons, or the Celestial Tournament (which is far better and more advanced than the newer stuff) then follow that list!