CE pets as achievements?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
CE pets as achievements?

Post by 5115 » April 30th, 2019, 5:54 am

what if CE pets were got by completing achievements, not easy ones though, like super hard achievements that correlate with the expansion? You can't trade it on the auction house, but you can still earn it via achievement, cause I've been hearing about how some codes aren't working anymore and the CE are kinda expansive and are quite the hassle if you just want the pet alone, just my opinion but it would be nice.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: CE pets as achievements?

Post by Ranok » May 1st, 2019, 2:25 am

Maybe as something for future expansions, but remember Pet People were told that with earlier Xpacs the only way they could get some pet was to buy the Collector Edition.

Going back now and announcing that oh, you can also get this pet by doing some achievement, would be a low blow to the folks who paid 20 or 30 dollars extra just to get a pet that they were promised was one-time opportunity.

Post by 5115 » May 1st, 2019, 6:34 am

True, still i think they should make battle pet achievements and rewards more memorable, kinda like the black proto drake etc. Plus idk if it's just me but the achievements seem a little easy for me, kinda with they'd make it a little harder and more epic, like a super boss pet that you can challenge with a team of five pets,just imagine the excitement of going into an active volcano cave and fighting a larger version of lil deathwing as the last pet boss of the expansion with like 6 of his abilities at his disposal, though that might be going overboard :p .

P.s. I was definitely the guy that would spend most of their time in pvp/pve pet battles when they weren't collecting dragon mounts

Juddinscire
Pet Score:11492
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Juddinscire » May 1st, 2019, 8:45 pm

Maybe then they could do a special re-release of the original collectors edition when vanilla is released.

As things stand, there are people playing WoW currently that were not even born when the original CE was released so they have a very genuine reason for missing it at that time.

Post by 5115 » May 2nd, 2019, 1:41 am

Still I'd like to hear some more thoughts on the subject of pet battling, like what definitely needs changing and improving, what makes pet battling fun to everyone and what makes pet battle achievements as memorable as some of the old raid and dungeon achievements in wow. The idea is basically to make 10 pet battle bosses for each expansion that leads up to the main pet boss of the expansion with each pet being new and unique but also matching the expansion their in, as well as unique areas where you can find them in. The first battle will consist of a team 3 pets which will increase to 5 on both teams once you've gotten past 7, and as a plus for defeating them you get unique toys, rare pets or rare battle stones. Each team will get harder and harder to beat but your also getting more and more better as you go along coming up with new strategy's, using pets that you didn't think would be useful in any pet battles until now, the possibility's are endless. This is just an idea that's been swimming in my head for awhile some criticism will also help define this idea better, another idea also is to make mini achievements to the journey, like if you kill this one team with only this type of pet (undead,humanoid,etc) you get a small reward or title pertaining to the pet type.

P.s. Sorry that this is so long i got carried away

Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Nearlysober » May 9th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I missed out on the original CE pets... it was hard enough to find ANY copy of the game at launch and way back then, you couldn't just buy a digital copy! But I have bought every CE (physical or digital) since then.

I, like most of us who are posting here, get bitten by the collecting bug in a lot of different ways so it does frustrate me that I'll never be able to obtain those original CE pets in the current state of the world... Unless I win powerball then I guess I'll shell out $8,000 for an unopened original CE :lol:

But I think making CE or rare event (Blizzcon, etc) pets available through any other means is the wrong way to go.
Visually, these pets should be extremely rare and a badge of pride.

However, in terms of abilities & move-sets... I think they should make pets that mirror them. The abilities could be re-named to fit the pet theme... for each of these ultra exclusive pets, there should be an available pet with the same family type, stats, same move-set.

Graphically, they wouldn't look like the originals so those would still be unique.

Visual uniqueness is one thing... but now that these pets are used in battles, PvE & PvP and strategies, CE and one-time event players should not have a combat advantage over the general public.

As for making really cool looking hard to achieve pets, I agree :) Some of the rewards for the meta achievements are rather dull :(

Dalandius
Pet Score:13133
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » May 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm

I do not think them as a badge of pride they just show you have spent some money.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » May 10th, 2019, 8:22 am

I'm firmly in the group of not wanting CE pets brought back for any reason, under any circumstances. :lol:
Dalandius wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm
I do not think them as a badge of pride they just show you have spent some money.
Or that you have played the game for a very long time which, sorry, but I AM actually very proud of. I LIKE my rare pets to stay rare. :D
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Dalandius
Pet Score:13133
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » May 14th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Mehetabel wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:22 am
I'm firmly in the group of not wanting CE pets brought back for any reason, under any circumstances. :lol:
Dalandius wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Or that you have played the game for a very long time which, sorry, but I AM actually very proud of. I LIKE my rare pets to stay rare. :D
Which is fine but why can you still buy "World of Warcraft®: Legion® Digital Deluxe Items" and World of Warcraft®: Warlords of Draenor® Digital Deluxe Items. I got them back when they came out so why are people who did not still able to get them now? why should they not be "rare""?

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904

Post by Waynebrady » May 23rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

For some time back in MoP I spend a decent chunk of money and time collecting the CE's of expansions I didn't have. I went to local Gamestop locations and other stores to see if they had any hiding in the back. At one particular Gamestop I found 2 Cataclysm CE's (which I promptly bought at retail price), and I believe I found a Wrath CE at a Walmart (maybe BestBuy?). It was quite funny because the price of these CE's was CONSIDERABLY more on eBay/Amazon, yet the stores sold them for retail price. I actually think I got really lucky.

I wouldn't mind some kind of reskin of the older CE pets, but I definitely wouldn't appreciate people being able to obtain pets that should no longer be obtainable.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » May 25th, 2019, 7:35 am

As the owner of nearly every CE pet (and other unobtainable pet for that matter), I can safely say that other people being able to have them has no effect whatsoever on the fact that I have them and enjoy them myself. That I spent a little extra money on some of the older ones years ago is fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. None of them should be forever unobtainable, especially given how many of them are unique. My self-worth, and the "worth" of my collection is not (and should not) be measured by how unhappy others are. On most/many/all of them, we are well past a reasonable exclusivity window, so it is more than ok for Blizzard to bring them back in some way (people have a very distorted view of the word "exclusive" -- it does not mean only from that source in perpetuity).

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904

Post by Waynebrady » May 29th, 2019, 9:59 am

Gilneas wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 7:35 am
As the owner of nearly every CE pet (and other unobtainable pet for that matter), I can safely say that other people being able to have them has no effect whatsoever on the fact that I have them and enjoy them myself. That I spent a little extra money on some of the older ones years ago is fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. None of them should be forever unobtainable, especially given how many of them are unique. My self-worth, and the "worth" of my collection is not (and should not) be measured by how unhappy others are. On most/many/all of them, we are well past a reasonable exclusivity window, so it is more than ok for Blizzard to bring them back in some way (people have a very distorted view of the word "exclusive" -- it does not mean only from that source in perpetuity).
To each their own. I certainly don't measure my self worth by how unhappy other people are, but I do have a sense of pride knowing how hard I worked to obtain the pets. And having that diminished by people just being able to get them (via achievement) would definitely be a difficult pill to swallow.

Either way it's not going to happen. Neat idea though.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Waynebrady wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:59 am
Gilneas wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 7:35 am
To each their own. I certainly don't measure my self worth by how unhappy other people are, but I do have a sense of pride knowing how hard I worked to obtain the pets. And having that diminished by people just being able to get them (via achievement) would definitely be a difficult pill to swallow.

Either way it's not going to happen. Neat idea though.
how did you work hard for them? you bought collectors editions. actually having them locked behind achievments is working hard for them. I have near every CE pet and I could care less.

Juddinscire
Pet Score:11492
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Juddinscire » June 16th, 2019, 10:07 pm

I love collecting things and ticking off lists as you work through them and despite being a bit of a latecomer to WoW, only arriving sometime during the Wrath expansion, I have gone back and hunted down Blizzcon pets, Collectors Editions and other items to piece together my pet collection over time. but would not be remotely concerned if others were given a chance to pick up some of those pets in other ways.

I get that there are some things that should be left as special to show off participation, success, effort and even luck which I feel Achievement listings do very well at indeed but alternative methods to unlock things like missing pets is still worth considering I feel.

Make the alternate method of obtaining the pet something comparable, such as access to the original CE pet trio being given to a CE bundle released with the launch of Classic WoW. At Blizzcon time, people who buy a Virtual Ticket get whatever the current years extras are, but maybe allow a second ticket to give a choice of previous years extras that you did not have before.

When WoW launched I had read all about it and was very envious of those who played but I lived in a remote area that had little or no internet access and so had no viable way to play until later on moving back to the city. Other people who play now were not even born when the game launched so had no chance at getting these things.

So think about giving alternate methods, but not granting the Achievement for it, just the pet. The cheeve itself still allows the retention of the pride side of things which is cool and fair, but lets us tick off the pets we don't have.

Mehetabel, wouldn't you like to be given a way to add Essence of Competition, Poley, Spectral Cub and Tiny Green Dragons (green & red) which you are denied access to just becuase you do not live in China?

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 19th, 2019, 5:03 am

Juddinscire wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 10:07 pm
Mehetabel, wouldn't you like to be given a way to add Essence of Competition, Poley, Spectral Cub and Tiny Green Dragons (green & red) which you are denied access to just becuase you do not live in China?
Strangely enough, I've never been overly bothered by those as NO ONE in the west (EU and US) has them so it makes for an even playing field. I'm obsessed with pet rankings so an even field is important to me (and yes, I do know that US players are a bit shafted there already). With the Chinese pets, I'd be quite happy if they did new pets with similar skins though (like some they already added to the RAF rewards).

My enjoyment of pets is ALL about the collecting. I thrive on the competition, the rankings. I love that some of my pets I only have because I've played this game for a long time and put the effort in (ie. Spirit of Competition which was a nightmare to get and I hated PVP at the time). There are some pets (Murky, Gurki, Mini Tyrael etc) that I will never have (unless I win the lotto! :lol: ) but I'm okay with that and the players who DO have them deserve to show them off with pride.

TL;DR I'm an elitist, rankings obsessed pet collector. Sorry. :lol:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Caesarromanus
Pet Score:13056
BattleTag®:CaesarRomanu#1363
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Post by Caesarromanus » June 25th, 2019, 10:40 am

An easier solution would be to make all CE and Blizzcon pets tradable.

The vast majority of people who have these pets are not pet collectors. As they would fetch a lot of money, I think everyone would benefit. Those who have the pet but don't care will be able to get a lot of gold. Those who don't have the pets will finally be able to get them.

Montzz
Pet Score:10173
Realm:Quel'dorei-us

Post by Montzz » June 25th, 2019, 6:49 pm

i say bring them back as a donation to st jude or some other worthwhile charity 100.00 a pet.....people that are hardcore will donate the $$$ and itll go to a good cause