Share pet collecting news and advice.
Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us
Re: Honor 400 for a pet is insane..

Post by Misstic » September 3rd, 2018, 3:34 pm

Mehetabel wrote:
Misstic wrote:MAKE PET COLLECTING FUN BLIZZARD or you will loose a lot of people including vanilla players who have been here since the start. DO NOT FORCE people to do things in the game they hate just to "collect them all" with the thinking that we just don't have to collect those certain pets because for us hardcore players who have given you $1000's over the years, ITS ALL OR NOTHING!!!!

UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......
You've quit playing because of TWO pvp pets? :shock:

I'm an all or nothing pet collector too but I'm not going to quit just because two pets are going to take a long time to get and will be a (possibly frustrating) uphill grind and others have low drop rates. It's daunting, I agree, but challenges are good in life. :)
It was more the Inland expedition pets. However my friend told me about a blue post TODAY that they increased the island expedition pet drop rate so I may give it one more go since they just charged my card 3 days ago I have another month before needing to pay again!

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » September 4th, 2018, 7:34 am

the big problem is, pet collectors have no voice, unlike the pvp community, raiders etc. we have no real forum presence, are viewed as merely an oddity by both other players and blizzard itself, and because of that will always have to suffer at the hands of designers who think it would be cool to place X in situation Y to satisfy a Z, that has nothing to do with pet collecting at all.

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Noel » September 20th, 2018, 10:55 am

So I've been PVPing as much as I can for the past 4 weeks (not yet 120, but you know pets > game lol). Anyway I have gained ONE level so far. At this rate I will be 17 or so years to get the 400 honor pet.

I've been doing random BGs, any suggestions for upping my honor? I completely SUCK so I can't do rated, I really feel bad because I'm literally dropping our side's team by up to 10% FOREVER to get a pet. Causing much more grief than good lol

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 21st, 2018, 5:50 pm

Jazeel wrote:the big problem is, pet collectors have no voice, unlike the pvp community, raiders etc. we have no real forum presence, are viewed as merely an oddity by both other players and blizzard itself, and because of that will always have to suffer at the hands of designers who think it would be cool to place X in situation Y to satisfy a Z, that has nothing to do with pet collecting at all.
I think, at least part of that, is a large and unfair claim to make. Blizzard does not consider us "merely an oddity." They've devoted a lot of time to this segment of the game since Mists. If it were continuing with Cataclysm and earlier levels of support this many years in, yes, you could say they see us as an oddity. The level of support we get and amount of resources they put into pet content, however, shows that not to be the case.

But everyone has to do things outside their comfort zone. If one is a completist that is. It happens in all aspects of the game. They sprinkle different kinds of rewards throughout different types of content to a) reward people who enjoy each different activity, and b) encourage people to try/do something that they might not have otherwise.

Hawkeie
Pet Score:9666
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Hawkeie » March 25th, 2019, 7:11 am

I did some math for this..

If you accept that the average BG takes 20 mins & you get 400 honor towards the 8800 needed per level, it works out to this:

400 points per match at 22 matches to go to 8800 points (1 lvl)
22 matches at 20 mins per match is 440 mins (7 hrs & 20 mins) per lvl
440 mins at 400 lvls is 176,000 mins
176,000 mins is 2933 hrs & 20 mins
Working on 8 hrs per day, 7 days per week.. NO Breaks or down time.. so as 1 BG ends the next starts (will never happen).
2933 Hrs & 20 mins at 8 hrs per day is 366 days & 16 hrs

So, it would take over a YEAR of a minimum daily 8 hrs non stop PvP to get enough honor!!!

& I for one, DETEST PvP, PLUS... it would basically mean giving up other in-game content!!

The thought of doing that much PvP for SOO long & nothing else!!.. I would rather just quit the game.

Sorry Blizz.. that SUCKS!!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 25th, 2019, 7:59 am

Hawkeie wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 7:11 am
I did some math for this..

If you accept that the average BG takes 20 mins & you get 400 honor towards the 8800 needed per level, it works out to this:

400 points per match at 22 matches to go to 8800 points (1 lvl)
22 matches at 20 mins per match is 440 mins (7 hrs & 20 mins) per lvl
440 mins at 400 lvls is 176,000 mins
176,000 mins is 2933 hrs & 20 mins
Working on 8 hrs per day, 7 days per week.. NO Breaks or down time.. so as 1 BG ends the next starts (will never happen).
2933 Hrs & 20 mins at 8 hrs per day is 366 days & 16 hrs

So, it would take over a YEAR of a minimum daily 8 hrs non stop PvP to get enough honor!!!

& I for one, DETEST PvP, PLUS... it would basically mean giving up other in-game content!!

The thought of doing that much PvP for SOO long & nothing else!!.. I would rather just quit the game.

Sorry Blizz.. that SUCKS!!
The math looks solid, but haven't checked it..

I did notice the Comp Stomp Brawl (Arathi Basin vs AI) yielded 400 honor per BG..
A year is insane for a full time job.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » March 26th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Thanks for doing the math, it seems legit. That is a completely ridiculous amount of time for 2 pets. PVPers get amazing mounts (well deserved) that show off what they have earned.

The ironic part is that I have completely stopped all PVP because those 400 level pets are unobtainable for all but the most dedicted PVPers. If they lowered the level requirements or brought back honor world dailies I would attempt them. Those two pets are the only ones I don’t have and now won’t even bother to earn them.

Working for pets is fun for me but only if there is a reasonable end in sight.

Hawkeie
Pet Score:9666
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Hawkeie » March 27th, 2019, 6:20 am

Mastr wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 3:54 pm
Thanks for doing the math, it seems legit. That is a completely ridiculous amount of time for 2 pets. PVPers get amazing mounts (well deserved) that show off what they have earned.

The ironic part is that I have completely stopped all PVP because those 400 level pets are unobtainable for all but the most dedicted PVPers. If they lowered the level requirements or brought back honor world dailies I would attempt them. Those two pets are the only ones I don’t have and now won’t even bother to earn them.

Working for pets is fun for me but only if there is a reasonable end in sight.
And what makes it worse.. I was being generous :(

You get nothing if you loose a BG etc.. & although I said 400 points, some only offer 150-300.. so the time would blow out to take MUCH longer :evil:

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » March 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm

I did some pvp to level up a character. A win gives you close to half a level so that's pretty good. But the waiting time is very long. Longer than it takes to finish a bg.
So that basically doubles the amount of time it requires to get to 400.

Brainfade
Pet Score:12648
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Brainfade » March 30th, 2019, 11:42 am

Totally agreed,

Blizz has bumped their collective heads, the math does work out to a full time job for around 1 year 6 months.
I cant even imagine who could think this would be a good idea to drop on the pet collecting community.

I've been in the top 500 pet collector list for a while and when I realized the grind this would take I was furious, since then I've become less interested in wow, quit pvp all together and just log in for the minimum pet collecting a few hours a week.

Stopped gearing up my toons and also play more Switch games ( love Nintendo ) I still have hopes they will fix this mess

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » March 30th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Brainfade wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 11:42 am

I cant even imagine who could think this would be a good idea to drop on the pet collecting community.
Not every pet is meant to be acquired through trivial means. This might be a little more work than they intended, but there's nothing wrong with it being a dedicated PvP reward.

Shouldn't look at everything at something everyone is intended to get right now. If it's too much, as it is for most people, just don't do it. Like Legion's PVP pets, it will probably become easier to acquire in the next expansion. Even before then, I anticipate them either making 400 easier to get to or lowering the level (but I'm sure it will still be a decent amount of PvP required, which is perfectly ok).

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » March 30th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Well, 2 of the top 5 collectors already have it, so we know it's attainable. Seems like it would be hard, but I'm not a PVP guy so what do I know.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » March 31st, 2019, 12:39 am

I bet those who got them obtained them in Legion. I knew I was in for the hardest grind ever for a pet. I leveled a team of 8 alts to do the Honor dailies in Legionland and was prepared to do those 500 honor quests for months and months just to get those two pets. When I found out the honor would be cut 90% for the world pve quests I gave up all hope of getting them. The hardest grind ever instantly became one order of magnitude harder. I know what I'm talking about, I have all but these two pets.

I tried pvp in BFA, but as prior posters pointed out, it would take years of playtime doing pvp to get them. The honor comes too slowly. Again, the best pvpers get some of the most awesome mounts in the game for being the best. I doubt a pvper would value a silly hermit crab that just appeared in the mail one day after they were trying to be the top tier skilled player. To them the mounts reflect skill and dedication, these pets are just a measure of time spent.

Now I get to step back from the game a bit. If they had a reasonable path to these, I would get them.

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » March 31st, 2019, 2:19 pm

The equivalent to this for a pvper would be them being able to obtain a pvp skill or item by collecting 1000 pets.
It has never made sense to me that rewards for one aspect of the game relate to another.
It would only be logical to reward pets for pet content and reward gear/traits/items for PVP from PVP content.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 31st, 2019, 11:25 pm

Gilneas wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Like Legion's PVP pets, it will probably become easier to acquire in the next expansion.
The thing is, Legion pets DID NOT get easier to acquire.. It was always the same amount is of work to get to P7 for the pet.
The only thing they changed was, when you unlock a pet battle on one faction, you also unlocked it on the other faction.
That is still in effect in BfA as Honor is now account wide.

The PvP WQs in Legion was a good was way to get the honor required. A fair amount of work (4 towers and one of the other WQs for ~3 months) and you had enough honor. That was roughly 30 minutes work per day for 90 days = 45 hours.

2933 hours (minus 45 as they carried over) = 2888 hours for getting the "same reward" in BfA is so far from "a little more work" as you can possibly get.

Rayjin
Pet Score:11984
BattleTag®:Rayjin#2322
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rayjin » April 1st, 2019, 10:10 am

i hope they bring ashran back. i did my legion honor grind their it was 2k honor per hour so it was relatively quick.
Started BFA with honor level 220 and now, almost 7 month later i am at 224 because without ashran or pvpwqs its just a huge waste of time.

Just wait until they do something about that because in Legion i did honor level 25 with my main and 7 with the other faction just to get the other factions pet which was also a waste of time cause they changed that mid legion.

But i know its a pain in the b*** to go to your Pet Journal and see those to pets :(
So i just put them on ignore so i dont bother with them anymore

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » April 1st, 2019, 2:09 pm

FuxieDK wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 11:25 pm

The thing is, Legion pets DID NOT get easier to acquire.
This is not true.

All during legion, I looked at P7 as a goal I would never get to so I gave up trying.

When BFA launched, they merged all your character's PvP level into one giant pool. At that point I magically had a high enough level to buy the pets. So something that looked unattainable all throughout Legion was suddenly gift wrapped to me. I even made a post about saying that I felt rather guilty since I hadn't worked for it at all.

Things change.

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » April 1st, 2019, 7:16 pm

The thing is, Legion pets DID NOT get easier to acquire..
You probably didn't notice, since I assume you all ready had them. They did get easier to acquire. When they adjusted rewards and paragon levels for BFA, the old pets were ultimately easier to get (specifically the paragon 7 pets were reduced to... paragon 1 [edit: 5, which was easier to achieve with the new level curve + accountwide honor], I believe? I don't recall exactly as it was fairly low).