Family Battler

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu
Family Battler

Post by Pikafido » December 13th, 2018, 11:11 am

I can't mention it enough, but Xu-Fu's has the best strategies so far.

https://www.wow-petguide.com/?m=Home

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Re: Family Battler

Post by Killerkarl » December 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. But I have run across a few that just don't work and it is still missing a strat for a few fights.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » December 15th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Need a strategy for Kwint/Elemental..

The two strats on Xu-Fu is either RNG to the extreme or Breed dependant...

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » December 16th, 2018, 8:58 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Need a strategy for Kwint/Elemental..
I'm having trouble thinking up something that MIGHT work, nevermind something that actually will. I guess you need a lot of stuns/swaps reset the deep bite counter but it's still pretty fubar.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » December 16th, 2018, 9:54 pm

FuxieDK wrote:The two strats on Xu-Fu is either RNG to the extreme or Breed dependant...
So they're basically like any strategy for Kwint? 8-)

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » December 18th, 2018, 3:25 am

Gilneas wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:The two strats on Xu-Fu is either RNG to the extreme or Breed dependant...
So they're basically like any strategy for Kwint? 8-)
Nah.. 8 of them are pretty straight forward.. Only Aqua was somewhat RNG too, but not too bad..

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 18th, 2018, 7:17 am

OK, so I've started this (late, I know) and am in no rush to get through it. I'll do some of the easy families while a quest is up that I was going to do anyway, maybe a few more, and leave myself with the hard ones as a treat for later.

Back in Legion I made Basic [Family] teams on general PvP principles, and wrangled my way through with those.

I'm not feeling especially motivated around the simple stuff now, so I'm throwing together a few unthinking cheese teams that mostly work on most battles, without having to set something up specifically for every one. If you have a lot of pets, and dupes, do you have some generic teams like this?

Dragons: 3 Nexus Whelplings. Throw in a Conflag Dragonhawk or two against mechs. Lots of other possibilities if needed - EPW, NFD.

Mechanicals: 3 Iron Starlettes. May throw in a Bling if I find a need. I'm thinking Rogue Azerite and Captured Evil will be a problem, when I get to them.

Magic: 2 Hyjal Wisps with Blast, dodge, Wish, and a third magic pet chosen for the battle. S/S Arcane Gorger is possible. Also something with Arcane Storm and/or Surge of Power, depending on the case.

Aquatic: P/P Emperor Crab, Puddle Terror to mitigate flyers with Sunlight and Nature's Ward, otherwise a second Crab or Crawdad, P/P Fen Crab for the Rip/Blood nuke, though Spineclaw with the heal might be better now I think of it.

Elemental: 2 Autumnal Sproutlings with Fist/Heal/Whatever. Azeriti packs a serious punch with Crystal Overload -> Azerite Spike. You can get very clever with Elementals if you need to, but mostly you don't need to.

Undead: My trusty Blighted Squirrels that I've loved since Mists come into their own here, with Woodchipper / Crouch / Stampede. Just as in PvP, the racial is a big bonus.

Flyers: Three Ikkys with Black Claw / Flock. Or a Foulfeather. Anything with Flock, really. Darkness is not what it was, but the Warden's Owl still has some juice, and Darkness is worth trying. If that doesn't work, then we have to think about Teroclaws, Moths, Bloodbeak or similar Rain Dance/Noc Strike combo.

Beasts: Three Zandalaris with Black Claw / Hunting Party. Shinchomper's Aura of Gonk is hilarious; just don't bring it out until Gonk is ready. Thaumaturgical Piglet is your answer to flyers.

Humanoid: The hardest family for me to find an unthinking team. Idols are possible, rolling over everything, but slow. Rotten Little Helper does a lot of damage. Squirky and Terky bring interesting resources, but require thought and planning.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » December 19th, 2018, 6:09 am

If anyone finds a truly generic Kwint/Elemental strategy that works, please shout!!

I have an ugly hole in my FFH-addon.. It's the only fight I cannot do.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 24th, 2018, 8:52 am

Pikafido wrote:I can't mention it enough, but Xu-Fu's has the best strategies so far.

https://www.wow-petguide.com/?m=Home
Have to admit that I was impressed when I did my first 3 rounds of the Celestial Tournament to get Xu-Fu (now, what the heck? Which battles am I gonna use him?), and the fights were flawless ... and the procedure is detailed and IMPORTANT.

I think I only had one buggaboo, and it didn't matter as the other pet could finish it off, but all in all, it was fairly well written and clear as a bell!

I'm still ticklish about doing the other dungeons, but want to do the other 3 pets in the Celestial Tournament when my lazy ways get off its ...

Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Pikafido » January 8th, 2019, 3:14 pm

FuxieDK wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 6:09 am
If anyone finds a truly generic Kwint/Elemental strategy that works, please shout!!

I've done it today with the latest add to Xu-fu's guide.

https://www.wow-petguide.com/index.php?Strategy=4046

took me some tries but i got after about 5-6 times.

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » January 9th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Please consider donating to Xu Fu's site. A dollar or five <g> would go a long way. I have no connection with the owner but have used the site daily for years. It is a blessing for pet collectors. Just think about it.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » January 11th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Pikafido wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:14 pm
FuxieDK wrote:

I've done it today with the latest add to Xu-fu's guide.

https://www.wow-petguide.com/index.php?Strategy=4046

took me some tries but i got after about 5-6 times.
19 bandages AND 3 "normal" heals, and I finally got it..

It's way too much RNG for my taste..

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » January 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I used the first two pets and substituted the Ruby Droplet 112 for the Blazehound. Kept failing with the hound but I got it first try with the Ruby Droplet. Could heal myself with drain blood, hide from his maw’s big attack, and acid touch helped heal, too. Finished with 3 hp but it worked for me.
Pray to the RNG god.
This was my 97th attempt at the Kwint Elemental fight.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » January 14th, 2019, 8:29 am

FuxieDK wrote:

Weird ... Wowhead is full of ideas and combinations, none of which I have been able to use and make work ... most of them have really poor and bad procedures, with a couple of them wasting a big hit, on a dive, or invis, instead of using something else when that happens.

My thoughts are that too many of those folks posting are just plain theory crafters, and they are not that good Pet Battlers, or they would not be posting that stuff.

But there is one towards the bottom that should have been given a lift, but ... who the heck reads anything these days? And have to read to the bottom of the page to find it? .... get lost!!!!

Again, the most important part of it all, is the procedure, and if you know your pets, you will know how to adjust and use that strategy easily enough.

You won't need the lucky charms for breakfast, or a pat on the head, or some bacon and eggs off Rag's head in the morning ... you just need to read a little more than the first 3 lines!

Over and out!

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » January 16th, 2019, 3:28 am

Uduwudu wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 8:29 am
FuxieDK wrote:

Weird ... Wowhead is full of ideas and combinations, none of which I have been able to use and make work ... most of them have really poor and bad procedures, with a couple of them wasting a big hit, on a dive, or invis, instead of using something else when that happens.

My thoughts are that too many of those folks posting are just plain theory crafters, and they are not that good Pet Battlers, or they would not be posting that stuff.

But there is one towards the bottom that should have been given a lift, but ... who the heck reads anything these days? And have to read to the bottom of the page to find it? .... get lost!!!!

Again, the most important part of it all, is the procedure, and if you know your pets, you will know how to adjust and use that strategy easily enough.

You won't need the lucky charms for breakfast, or a pat on the head, or some bacon and eggs off Rag's head in the morning ... you just need to read a little more than the first 3 lines!

Over and out!
I used stats from wow-petguide.com, not wowhead ;)

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » January 31st, 2019, 1:20 am

Yeah the problem with wowhead is too much messy information, navigation, missing information, bits and pieces. Its not a good format for consolidated, structured strategies. I've been using Xu-Fu as well since Legion. It's on point, easy navigation and overview, user-based upload/input, alternative strategies, detailed walkthrough of the fight and comment section as well if everything else fails. It is pretty good source for information/strategies, also with strings (not that I use it).

I recently started the achs myself and didn't think further about it, but the single-pet tamers aren't eligible as tamers. That leaves 19 available and you need 15. From a random wowhead comment I gathered that Leana in SSV, Kwint in Tiragarde and Fizzie in Drustvar should be annoying/RNG/hard so those should be avoided if you don't want to waste time. If there is more or worse I don't know, but you got choice, is my point.

Don't do what I did and just started in one zone and going through each tamer systematically, I ended up at Kwint before knowing this fact as my 3rd tamer. Safe to say I spend hours instead of 30min per tamer on him. The man surely loves his sharks. Skip the hard ones, find 15 you want to do and go from tamer to tamer running the 10 families through each. Also remember the pets must be level 25 and same family, just for those easy strategies where one pet can solo and you gotta random-fill slot2 and slot3.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 31st, 2019, 3:52 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 1:20 am
That leaves 19 available and you need 15. From a random wowhead comment I gathered that Leana in SSV, Kwint in Tiragarde and Fizzie in Drustvar should be annoying/RNG/hard so those should be avoided if you don't want to waste time. If there is more or worse I don't know, but you got choice, is my point.

Also remember the pets must be level 25 and same family, just for those easy strategies where one pet can solo and you gotta random-fill slot2 and slot3.
Really good advice. I also would recommend skipping the 3 trainers you named (and you can skip 1 more on top of that, so if you're struggling with a family on a particular trainer, just skip it and make it up elsewhere). I ended up skipping the Crab People one in Drustvar, not that it's hard but I completely forgot it was there.

And YES, all the pets in the team have to be level 25... I tried to get clever and carry pets and then realized I wasn't getting credit (thankfully I checked each achieve before I left the tamer).

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » February 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 1:20 am
... That leaves 19 available and you need 15. From a random wowhead comment I gathered that Leana in SSV, Kwint in Tiragarde and Fizzie in Drustvar should be annoying/RNG/hard so those should be avoided if you don't want to waste time.
I disagree.

Got 64 (or 72 can't remember) PC's off Leana Darkwind. Again, you have to study things a bit so you know how to come back to it. The Jelly is good, and so is Wolpertinger, and I only got to my Dragonkin once when the turkey only had 200 hit points.

Kwint is not hard. Darkmoon Central and Ikky. But paying attention to the shark casts is a must, since one of them adjusts to your first cast.

Fizzie is a piece of cake, though it can be ... strange if there are too many crits going against you. Fish Slap is your friend and then a Rapana Whelk to finish it off in slow motion!

NONE of the fights are so hard that it can't be done. The main issue is people posting some really bad crap on Wowhead and other places, with theory-crafting ideas, instead of actually doing the fight. Good example ... Korval ... so you bring up your Nexus BigHit and you hit 3 ... and he just hits you. Then you hit 1. He just hits you. Then you hit 2, and he immediately goes up to cancel out your first hit of 3. Same thing if right at the start you hit 2 ... boom, he goes up!

The hard part is learning NOT TO WASTE your big hit/s on all of these fights.

The fight I like the most? The one everyone hated a few years back ... the fatso in Nagrand ... it was easy ... you just have to pay attention and make sure you get 3 Bonestorms in ... and the fight is just about over ... that means all 3 pets that have Bonestorm, which is easier than trying to get the other pet back in to do it again. I remember 100 strategies from Unborn Val'kyr to Unborn Sun'shine ... but once you know the rotations for these fights, you know that you should not plunk the big hit so it goes off at the same time that the fudger puts up the shield ... cast wasted and fight in trouble! Main reason not to use that, btw, since you have to think ahead and time it.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 5th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Uduwudu wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Got 64 (or 72 can't remember) PC's off Leana Darkwind. Again, you have to study things a bit so you know how to come back to it. The Jelly is good, and so is Wolpertinger, and I only got to my Dragonkin once when the turkey only had 200 hit points.

Kwint is not hard. Darkmoon Central and Ikky. But paying attention to the shark casts is a must, since one of them adjusts to your first cast.

Fizzie is a piece of cake, though it can be ... strange if there are too many crits going against you. Fish Slap is your friend and then a Rapana Whelk to finish it off in slow motion!

NONE of the fights are so hard that it can't be done. The main issue is people posting some really bad crap on Wowhead and other places, with theory-crafting ideas, instead of actually doing the fight. Good example ... Korval ... so you bring up your Nexus BigHit and you hit 3 ... and he just hits you. Then you hit 1. He just hits you. Then you hit 2, and he immediately goes up to cancel out your first hit of 3. Same thing if right at the start you hit 2 ... boom, he goes up!
Ok seriously - this is for FAMILY BATTLER achievement. Not for WQs for charms. How is using a jelly, Wolpertinger and dragon team relevant to this achievement?

None of what you posted above are actual strategies for getting Family Battler done but you're claiming they're all easy. Kwint is literally impossible with certain families. If I'm misunderstanding and you had no problem using your own theory crafted strategies, why not post your exact team with breeds and movesets and help us all out?

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » February 6th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Peanutty wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Kwint is literally impossible with certain families.
Not impossible, but very very RNG based, for especially Elemental..

Proof: