New pet dungeon sure gets through your Elementals!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Lordy
Pet Score:10871
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
New pet dungeon sure gets through your Elementals!

Post by Lordy » December 14th, 2018, 10:16 am

To be fair I don't really bother with efficient guides. I just throw my extensive collection at any challenge I meet until I find a combo that works without ever having to worry about running short of pets!

But there are so many Mech's in that new pet dungeon I found myself really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find an Elemental still on its feet to get me to the end.

I don't like using Ikky as he kind of feels like cheating but in the end I had to fish out the old Ikky+Valk+1 (Molten Corgi in this case as one of my last remaining elementals) or I think I would have had to retreat from the last boss in shame dragging a huge pile of unconscious pets with me!

Anyone else struggle with that one?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: New pet dungeon sure gets through your Elementals!

Post by Gráinne » December 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Lazey has a series at Xu-Fu's getting through a lot of the battles with an Emperor Crab and a Soul of the Forge with their mitigating and healing moves keeping them going throughout. Autumnal Sproutling (Fist, Heal, Backline to recuperate and battle another day) was an MVP for me.

I actually can't remember what I used on the last boss, the second time, having failed the first, but I just scraped it. Not Ikky, and not a reflect, though.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » December 15th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Lazey has a series at Xu-Fu's getting through a lot of the battles with an Emperor Crab and a Soul of the Forge with their mitigating and healing moves keeping them going throughout.
It's nice for people with limited collections but truthfully, it's awfully boring even thinking of doing it that way.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 24th, 2018, 9:03 am

Gilneas wrote:
Lazey has a series at Xu-Fu's getting through a lot of the battles with an Emperor Crab and a Soul of the Forge with their mitigating and healing moves keeping them going throughout.
It's nice for people with limited collections but truthfully, it's awfully boring even thinking of doing it that way.
It's not that bad, in my book.

But seeing spells being used in a different context than what you (or I) are used to, is very valuable, and these setups are much better tested than the half ashed ones posted at Wowhead that are "theory crafted" and "not tested".

One of the fights, Zujai I think, is actually very difficult with the Iron Starlette opening it, depending on what the Snake does ... if the Snake does a triple hit (more than half the time), the fight gets very tough and the bird will knock you out, and then not allow you to cast upon reviving. And then you have a full health bird with a nasty beak and a very good bump ... thus, I have had a really hard time, being able to take that frog down at the end ... if the bird was not at half health -- that would be that the Iron Starlette was able to do a round on the bird (Snake only hit twice, not a triple!).

There is another fight that can also be tough ... the one in Stormsong, way up on the island, with those elementals ... and the one that stuns you and you lose your spell is a hard one to fight back on ... you have to REALLY know when that is coming and either mitigate it, or lose a round ... and if you lose a round, you are not likely going to win the battle! And if you are going to lose a round, AT LEAST try to make sure you saved the spell you have got to use!

I'll have my elementals ready for Gnomeregan when I decide to get there ... probably next century!

Vaeevictiss
Pet Score:13035
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Vaeevictiss » January 7th, 2019, 12:42 pm

ya, i really dont enjoy this one at all. I did it once and got the pet, then did it another time for the 1 token pet. I said to myself only 5 more times. i did it once more and havnt been back. It really feels awful and way too time consuming even with a guide.

What i think would make these things more fun would be to either:

1. reduce the number of battles
2. get rid of backline pets and just make a single hard pet to fight.
2.1 - Make the fights a single hard pet, but give them all a unique mechanic we have to try and figure out how to counter.

Fahra
Pet Score:5102
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Fahra » January 7th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I keep seeing guides relying only on elemental pets, and it's really limiting. A few pet teams to suggest, if I may:

The Singing Sunflower can solo the first boss no problem, and I rarely see her suggested. She'll survive long enough to do 1 or 1.5 of the Living elemental bosses in the next room depending on RNG.

The Door Console Control can be done by Chrominius, a Nexus Whelpling, and something heavy hitting like Anubisath Idol.

The Cockroach boss can be taken out easily by Xu-Fu or Ban-Fu, with a beast filler after.
The Leper Rat is easily solo'd by a Tolai Hare Pup, with backup pets for the remaining pets.

The Bloated Leper Rat dies quickly to an Unborn Val'kyr, a Zandalari Kneebiter (or something else with Black Claw/Flock), and something with enough hitpoints to survive it's one undead turn - I used a Leafy Flutterwing.

The Sunfur Panda is excellent versus the Guard mechanical animals. I also highly recommend a Tiny Snowman - again, one I haven't seen recommended in any guides but a HUGELY useful elemental for this encounter.

Finally, use an Arctic Hare, an Electrified Razortooth, and something with a lot of hitpoints (I used Terky) for the final boss.

If you get a little creative with teams you can wind up with pets who are not elemental that actually burn down the bosses faster than elemental teams.

Good luck!
Like mythology? Check out my blog at mythdancer.blogspot.com, where I have a weekly discussion about everything from Mesopotamia to the pandaren religion!