PVP Queue Questions

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rooibaard
Pet Score:4682
Realm:Bloodfeather-eu
PVP Queue Questions

Post by Rooibaard » September 29th, 2018, 3:07 am

Hi.

I have some questions on how the PVP queue works.

This morning whilst in the queue for pvp, it took quite a while to pop, so after I was in the queue for 8min, I asked my girlfriend to come and queue, and her queue popped within seconds, and I am still sitting there.

What factors determine the pvp queue?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: PVP Queue Questions

Post by Gráinne » September 29th, 2018, 4:15 am

It's a mystery.

Blizzard made it a mystery deliberately, I presume to avoid wintrading and griefing.

Various people have suggested theories. We know for sure that the queue is cross-server, and cross-language.

One night, in the Discord, someone reported a player trolling the queue. Same player, doing the same thing, again amd again. So I decided to pop in and see if I could persuade them to change teams. I even made a character on the realm of the person reporting, for the purpose, just in case that had an influence. Nothing. I queued for about 20 minutes. When the reporter queued, he got the guy again immediately.

Some people have hypothesized that the set of people you meet is fixed by your account - like, all account numbers with a remainder of 5 when divided by 7 are in a meta, or some partitioning like that. The thing is, if the player trolling the queue is who we thought it was, I have played him several times, so that theory would be out the window. We also have the case of people queueing with odd-levelled pets for wintrading, like a 24 and 2 7s, which we believe was used at least in the past.

If I was writing an algorithm with what I believe are the intended goals, I would not make hard partitioning of any kind anyway, because that's just another source of non-randomness.

I think whoever programmed the matchmaking algorithm did a pretty good job of keeping it opaque!

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: PVP Queue Questions

Post by Rosqo » September 29th, 2018, 9:15 am

In a nutshell you face the same group of battlers based on your account.