Is anyone else seriously annoyed?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sparkwul
MVP
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Garona-us
Is anyone else seriously annoyed?

Post by Sparkwul » September 1st, 2018, 10:39 am

What is up with the lack of pet battles that award polished charms? Does anyone else think that Blizzard has really hurt the hard core pet collectors? Also, the drop rate of pets from the Island Expeditions, I have run over 100, normal and heroic combined and not a single drop. People have started turning them into PvP against the horde instead of just collecting and it takes forever to finish one recently. What's everyone else think about this. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic.

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Re: Is anyone else seriously annoyed?

Post by Noel » September 1st, 2018, 10:50 am

From what I understand we need 5500 or so of the coins...which sounds like a crazy grind except that one of the pets requires honor level 400 lol. I think they want us to grind away for years.

I've decided to just play do whatever and if the opportunity to get coins/honor comes around I'll grab it!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » September 1st, 2018, 12:19 pm

When I first hit 120 on my main and started WQ's, the first couple of days all the pet battles gave charms. Then it was only a couple and now it seems to be one a day. Maybe two. I'm doing them on two chars now but it's still slow. I certainly wouldn't mind if the pet WQ's gave charms more often!

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » September 1st, 2018, 12:21 pm

https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17741

Sonso
Pet Score:13748
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Sonso » September 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm

We pet collectors are being treated pretty harshly in my opinion. At least in the other expansions there was a way for us to actively grind for pet charms. This time we have pets that are stuck behind rep and require polished pet stones. World Quests and mission table pet stones are rare. Not to mention the Island Expeditions have several that aren't even cageable. The crazy pvp grind has left me speechless. More and more pets are just going onto my not collecting list. I'm beginning to lose interest.

Before anyone comes here to put us in our place for complaining I'd like you to know most of us will jump through a lot of hoops for our collections not to mention spending actual money for the pets. You just have to wonder what was Blizzard thinking with the battle pet setup for BfA. Even the most die-hard will get frustrated with this. Oh well it is what it is I guess.

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » September 1st, 2018, 3:33 pm

I'm maybe one of the lucky few then, been earning charms at a pretty steady pace so far. At any rate, we're barely a few weeks into the expansion, they're bound to add more pet battle content in later patches, and I'm very comfortable playing the long game either way.

Also, I've made this point in a few other posts already but I really think it's important to remember that us crazy hardcore pet collectors (meaning people who will keep doing content they actively dislike just for pets) are a very small minority of players, and I'm not sure it's fair to expect Blizz to think about us every step of the way?

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:13143
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » September 1st, 2018, 4:09 pm

My main character hit 120 on the Friday after launch. I have collected 405 pet charms since then. Simple math tells me that is 27 charms per day. That's 188 days to collect enough for all the pets.

But that's only on one character. I have 5 more in Zuldazar and can bring 2 more over this weekend. Now I haven't seen any pet charm missions for the guys under 120. But it won't take long for me to have 2 or 3 120s and then the time starts to come down significantly.

It would bother me if most of these pets were BOP, but they aren't. Most are cageable which means they are tradeable. So if anyone is focused on how many charms you need to get these pets, you are ignoring the fact that there will be other routes to get them. And isn't this part of the fun of collecting? Or would you rather have Blizzard give you a gift bag at the beginning of the Xpac?

I highly prefer this to the RNG of the last Xpac. Still don't have the Wondrous Wisdomball, although I get 8 more shots this weekend. Probably have every BFA pet before that stupid thing drops.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 1st, 2018, 7:31 pm

I'm not really annoyed.

If you get 20 Charms a day, that's 6,000 in 300 days. If these are all the Charm-bought pets there are in the expansion, you'll be OK. Plus, as Harpooha says, many are tradable.

It might have been better to spread out the Charm-bought pets between patches, though. (Unless they intend to add more. /bites_fingernails)

At least these are pets earned from pet battling, as opposed to an insane amount of PvP, or even an entirely different game.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13808
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » September 1st, 2018, 11:26 pm

NA just got 2 pet battles for 34 pet charms total. Maybe someone at Blizz is listening to you guys :lol: Just finished leveling up my 3rd 120 today so glad I made that push.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » September 2nd, 2018, 6:25 am

Darkchyld wrote:NA just got 2 pet battles for 34 pet charms total. Maybe someone at Blizz is listening to you guys :lol: Just finished leveling up my 3rd 120 today so glad I made that push.
Yes it does seem the way to play the game to 'win' since WoD is to run multiple alts early on. More chances for rewards as its character-bound lock, more rewards from garrison-mission systems (ultra trimmed in BFA though), more lottery entries when running old stuff for transmog/mounts. This is how people get good rates when trying to accomplish anything in the game.

Sad state of affairs when you need you need to deck out many alts at max level to support a single main character.

Lordy
Pet Score:10871
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Lordy » September 3rd, 2018, 1:53 am

I think the Polished pet charms drop pretty fast. I already have about four charm vendor pets and it's only 2 weeks in. In fact if you think about it getting charms too quickly will just mean you have nothing to do with extra charms you might pick up later. One character can easily earn enough charms over the life of the expansion to get everything and If you have alts then you can get it even faster. What's wrong with that?

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » September 3rd, 2018, 3:07 am

Yes, I am seriously annoyed that there are a ton of pets which are pure RNG rewards from Island expeditions. The grind of collecting pet charms for pets and toys will eventually end, but what are the chances of getting every single Island expedition pet without having to spend exorbitant amounts of gold? Sure, it might be possible to trade a few pets. Sure, you can run Island expeditions on your alts so that you don't get too bored doing the same thing on the same character over and over again. But most likely we're going to have to spend a lot of gold on these pets.

Polished Pet charms will come. They will come faster once I've leveled my alts - several of which I leveled for the sole purpose of obtaining pets. But I'm also happy to have something to work towards, because I know eventually I will be able to buy all the pets and toys I want with pet charms. But Island Expeditions? Ugh.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » September 3rd, 2018, 2:54 pm

Hi,

I think that the only option is to level up your 2nd and 3rd character, so that you can do the same fight 3 times, one on each character, for example. And the possibility is that this kind of thing has happened and they decided that if we're going to get smart, they will make sure that they also get smart.

As long as I can get about 15 Pet Charms or so per day, I'm OK. I only need them to purchase pets now, since I have done all the fights to pick up the new pets in the 6 areas. Have not started doing the Expeditions yet, but I think that I need to get after those now, for the extra pets instead of looking for things to do.

BTW, do not forget that you will also likely get a mission for your followers that gives the Pet Charms, and if I see one, I make sure that I have the follower that has the most traits to ensure I can get the bonus Pet Charms, and so far, both times I have been able to get them!

Today, for example (the 3rd), there are no missions for Pet Charms that I remember on Draka, and I do not know if it is the same for all servers. But now the things you can get for the fights are also crap that you don't need, although the resources are a bit difficult to come by, so doing them is OK, but in general I only chase the pet battles for the Pet Charms.

Make sure, btw, that you do the regular Pet Charms, IF you do not have all the pets that can be bought in Dalaran, for example.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 3rd, 2018, 4:04 pm

The charm pets really aren’t annoying. They are something you will get over time with enough dedication. It’s the sort of pet acquisition that’s good. Think of WC and the Everliving Spore vs DM and it’s pets. Put a certain amount of time into DM and you will get the pets you wanted, no question. The Everliving Spore took (or is still taking!) some far longer to get. Just doesn’t feel the best being so far outside your control despite the dedication.

That’s not a perfect comparison since there is some randomization to the WQ rewards, but it is similar. The charm pets are ultimately just dedication. Once you have even two characters who can do them it gets substantially faster. Let alone 3 or more. There is an end goal. Just won’t be reached this early. That’s fine. Doesn’t have to be instant gratification so long as it does feel like something you can work on and make progress.

Somanypets
Pet Score:4049
Realm:Bonechewer-us

Post by Somanypets » September 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Sparkwul wrote:What is up with the lack of pet battles that award polished charms? Does anyone else think that Blizzard has really hurt the hard core pet collectors? Also, the drop rate of pets from the Island Expeditions, I have run over 100, normal and heroic combined and not a single drop. People have started turning them into PvP against the horde instead of just collecting and it takes forever to finish one recently. What's everyone else think about this. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic.
I've had 2 days in a row where there were 0 WQ's offering Polished Pet Tokens :(. it's a real bummer. BFA pet content is seriously lacking. Not only that, but exploring the world during the first pass was not exciting because almost every new pet was a backline pet so there wasn't much added excitement when exploring.

Will we ever get another MoP? :(

Jodmos
Pet Score:6700
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu

Post by Jodmos » September 4th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Somanypets wrote:
Sparkwul wrote:What is up with the lack of pet battles that award polished charms? Does anyone else think that Blizzard has really hurt the hard core pet collectors? Also, the drop rate of pets from the Island Expeditions, I have run over 100, normal and heroic combined and not a single drop. People have started turning them into PvP against the horde instead of just collecting and it takes forever to finish one recently. What's everyone else think about this. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic.
I've had 2 days in a row where there were 0 WQ's offering Polished Pet Tokens :(. it's a real bummer. BFA pet content is seriously lacking. Not only that, but exploring the world during the first pass was not exciting because almost every new pet was a backline pet so there wasn't much added excitement when exploring.

Will we ever get another MoP? :(
Eu had something similar but a couple popped today. Now need to save as all the pets I need are 150 or higher except the CoA 100 charm pet but I'm nowhere near getting revered.

Wikdsweet
Pet Score:4754
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Wikdsweet » September 5th, 2018, 10:26 pm

I have had 3 missions for charms the past couple of days plus another one up now that I haven't started yet. I have made sure to get a good chance on the bonus rolls to double them, averaging around 30-35 each mission, Imo not bad at all. That and the ones I have found in chests are way more then I have made by doing the wq's in the past 2 days.