Pet Appearance/Color changes and glitches with BfA pre-patch

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us
Pet Appearance/Color changes and glitches with BfA pre-patch

Post by Valianya » July 23rd, 2018, 12:05 am

So the pre-patch is here, and a number of pet types got updated models. However, the new models are not direct color palette swaps. For example, the white and black beetle is now just white and grey.

But some of the pets have their old models still. I have two Creepy Crawly beetles (dark-grey/black and red), one shows as the new grey-and-red model in the journal, but when summoned is still the old model. The other one shows as the old model in the journal viewer, and summons as the old model.

I've also noticed at least one pet, maybe more, now summon with a random color instead of the color they should be. If anyone in the past got the shiny white Mountain Cottontail skin, you may have noticed that in the pet journal it became a shiny golden rabbit after they updated the rabbit models in the past. It would summon as a random skin for a time, but then at some point it began summoning as a golden rabbit to match its journal image. Well, the golden rabbit is back to summoning with a random skin instead of being golden. Hopefully this is fixed, as I miss my golden rabbit. (I actually went out in the past and got a replacement shiny white one, so the golden one is unique. The newer shiny white ones are not bugged to have random skin like the golden one is, either.)

Also, I've noticed that some pet images are bugged in the pet journal, where instead of the actual pet, you see the image of the last previous pet you viewed in the pet model viewer.

What I would like to do, is get a list going of pets that kept their old models/colors (perhaps as a rare spawn version), and what new color schemes various pets now have. I'd also like to get a list going of bugs or glitches in the pet models or animations.

So check your pet collections in-game, and add anything you notice that I may have missed.

Beetles
- Creepy Crawly retains old model (black and red)
- Fire Beetle is now red with grey markings
- Lava Beetle is now red with grey markings (was it always this much bigger than the fire beetle?)
- Gold Beetle now has an actual gold and tan skin. It seems orange and black was replaced by this.
- Sand Scarab appears to have retained the old skin in the journal, this is a TCG pet.
- other Scarabs appear to be close color matches, but have lost some of the different hues on their shells, becoming more uniform in color

Color Swaps:
- Black/red = Grey with red markings
- Light and Dark Brown = Light and Dark Brown (new model with a pretty close color swap)
- Red and Teal = Red with grey markings
- Orange and black = Gold and tan markings
- White and black = White and grey markings
- Teal and Purple = Teal and purple markings (pretty close color swap)
- Pink and Dark purple = Pink-purple and dark markings (pretty close color swap)

Cats
-Bombay - I don't know what's going on with his whiskers. Its like he's got a paper cutout mustache attached to his face.
-Black tabby - Looks like a dark grey tabby in the journal window.
-Feline Familiar - new model. I think even the broom is a new model.
-Ash-ana, Sapphire cub, Cheetah cub, Winterspring cub, Darkmoon cub, Risen saber kitten, Snow cub, Panther cub, Lurking owlkitten, (possibly Mischief, Brightpaw, and Cinder Kitten too) - I may be wrong, but seems to have the new big cat/druid feral form skeleton, with changes to run animation and body shape.

Chickens
-Can anyone confirm if the Beige Szechuan Chicken color still exists?
-Rocket Chicken - going by journal image alone, it seems to retain its old skin.
-Mechanical/Robo- Chicken - has a paler/almost-pastel color scheme now

Crabs
- Lava Crab - pale red/pink (alas, still no flaming animation/aura)
- Moonshell Crab - pale blue/white, no longer appears super shiny/crystalline, and lacks red eyes
- Fen crab, Ghostshell crab, Spineclaw crab, Coralback fiddler, Frostshell pincher, Ironclaw and Kelp scuttlers, Juvenile Scuttleback, Zangar crawler - all retain their original spiky models
- Magical Crawdad - new highly detailed model

Color Swaps:
Red = pale red/pink
Blue = dark blue/purple
White and Grey = Beige and very pale teal/light-green
Beige and Teal = Bronze and Teal
Crystalline = pale blue/white

Desert Spiders
Spiders
- Many of the spiders have bugged journal images, showing the last pet you looked at instead of the current spider.
- I have one Dusk Spiderling that is a color changer upon summoning. The other two I have do not seem to change color. Dusk spiderlings also seem much smaller than the other spider pets.
- Desert spider seems to come in two sizes, with one a bit smaller than the other.
- Spectral Spinner has the new skin.

Color Swaps:
Purple = Purple/pink
Grey = Pale purple/grey
Light red/brown = Light grey/Beige
Bright Red and green/brown = Pale red and olive
Green and Yellow with Black spots = Green and Yellow with Brown and dark green spots
Crystal = Blue and white/silver obviously made of crystal

Frogs
- Lifelike Mechanical toad - new skin, light brown, still looks like a real toad
- Leopard Tree Frog still comes in two sizes

Color Swaps:
Green with Dark green spots = Beige with dark brown spots
Orange and Blue = Orange and Blue
Green = pale green
Lime Green = Lime green, still with orange feet and blue markings
Blue = Blue with dark blue spots

Grubs/Larva
- They've got teeth now, watch out, they bite.

Color Swaps: Basic one to one - white, beige, yellow, pink.

Marmots/Prairie Dogs
- So cute and fluffy. Only seems to be one color.
- I don't know if Sneaky Marmot is still stealthed. He is not, in the journal image.

Pigs
- Perpetually muddy. And adorable. Wiggles is still pink, just muddy.

Turtles
- Young Mutant Warturtle has a graphical glitch. The swords are floating way above his shell. He has lost his bandanna - it is hidden inside his head. This must be fixed. Upon dismissing, the swords and bandanna stay floating in the air for a moment after the turtle is gone.
- The colors are pretty much one to one swaps.

Yetis
- Much more detailed now. Snow globe yeti has curled horns. Mechanical yeti is still white, stunted yeti is still brown.

Imps
- Imps got model updates, and it looks like a new color.
- Fiendish Imp - can change color when summoned. Can occasionally be yellow with red fur. Also has clothes now.
- Gregarious Grell - also got a model update and clothes. TCG pet.

Others
- I may be wrong, but I think they updated Bone Serpent's appearance when they nerfed its moveset.
- Diemetradon hatchling - updated model, red/pink and light orange.
- Glowing and Shadow Sporebats seem to have had model or skeleton updates. Tiny Sporebat seems to still be old model. The new skeleton seems a bit off, with part of their back seeming broken since they hover more flat than curved upright now.
- Macabre Marionette - has a new model, but he's not carrying his maracas anymore, they're strapped to his sides. Also there is something very wrong going on with his hat. I don't think its supposed to be merging with his skull and shoulders like that.
- I think the pocket reaver and personal world destroyer had model updates.
- Looks like the three Winter Veil Helpers all got model touchups, especially facial features.
- Did they do a touch-up/detailing on the MoP panda pets?
- Son of Skum has the new thunderlizard model.
- Young Venomfang seems to be hovering lengthwise instead of upright.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Pet Appearance/Color changes and glitches with BfA pre-p

Post by GormanGhaste » July 23rd, 2018, 8:22 am

Oh no, I just realized the new models have made my color guide completely outdated :(
Mingyao on Madoran

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 23rd, 2018, 8:12 pm

OP, good work in checking out all this stuff! I had meant to check size and color differences (for pets with unique skins) but forgot to do so 'til now.

As far as pets with size variants, [url=https://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Peanutty/]all the ones that I have listed in my profile[/url] still show size variation, so apparently that was not affected by any skin or skeleton updates.

Here's what I noted, off the ones you mentioned.
- Lava Beetle is now red with grey markings (was it always this much bigger than the fire beetle?)
I think it was larger, though maybe not this large in comparison?
- Gold Beetle now has an actual gold and tan skin. It seems orange and black was replaced by this.
Gold Beetle previously had a copper (golden tan and black) variant. Perhaps the orange one is completely gone now, if you previously had orange? I did not have an orange one so cannot verify.
-Black tabby - Looks like a dark grey tabby in the journal window.
It was never black. May be lighter than before but it was always more of a dark gray with darker stripes.
-Can anyone confirm if the Beige Szechuan Chicken color still exists?
My beige Szechuan chicken is now sort of a reddish-buff color. I assume this is the new equivalent of it (though to be nitpicky, it's not a realistic chicken color).
- Desert spider seems to come in two sizes, with one a bit smaller than the other.
I can verify that Desert Spider does in fact have 2 sizes now... I did screenshots and transparent overlayed my spiders to check, and I do have one larger than the other.

Actually, here's comparison screenshots taken in the exact same spot. Sorry they came out dark.
spidersm.jpg
spidersm.jpg (11.14KiB)Viewed 2560 times
spiderlg.jpg
spiderlg.jpg (11.51KiB)Viewed 2560 times
- I don't know if Sneaky Marmot is still stealthed. He is not, in the journal image.
He stealths on summon.

Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Valianya » July 24th, 2018, 9:13 pm

I believe the beetle skin I labeled light brown with dark brown markings was the tan-copper and black one you mentioned. Seems to have been a very close color swap with that particular skin color. The orange and black seems to be gone now, replaced with gold and tan, unless anyone can verify the orange color scheme still exists on any beetles at all?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 25th, 2018, 3:51 pm

I know I had at least one pet in every possible color as that's a high priority for me in collecting. I believe my Dung Beetle was the orange/black in my collection, it is now gold.