"Which pet should I send?" - An easy Reference Table

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us
"Which pet should I send?" - An easy Reference Table

Post by Zaelo » December 31st, 2012, 1:43 pm

I finally found a way to make myself an easy reference table of all my level 25 pets that will make it easy to decide which pet I should send vs a given team/pet. It's obviously an XLS Spreadsheet, but I'm sharing it as GIF since I don't know of a site that allows easy Office document sharing (and doesn't require you to have a gmail account). If you do, please share, I'll upload it on there and edit this post.

In the meantime, simply reproduce it in Excel, replace all the content of the white cells with your own pets, and there you have it! It'll be easy to decide which pet to send in specific situations, and it will also give you a quick idea of what types of pets you should focus your leveling on, to maximize your versatility.

Hope you enjoy! :D
http://i.imgur.com/nMtvS.gif
Obviously the pets currently listed there are MY level 25 pets, they're just there to give you an idea of how this table works

Edit: When you get to the point of using the table to figure out which pet to use, if the exact combination ends up on a blank cell (meaning you have no pet that would both take less damage and deal more damage against that pet), you can still have a good idea of which of your pets would be good.. any pet in the same column would take less damage, any pet in the same row would deal more damage.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: "Which pet should I send?" - An easy Reference Table

Post by Quintessence » January 1st, 2013, 2:15 am

Very helpful table! Do you take breeds into account when picking pets that are strong against certain types?

The only suggestion I have would be to differentiate border color for enemy and your pets. So instead of a black background all along the edges, perhaps use black to for the "Enemy has..." and "Enemy is...", and then a different color behind "Aim for a pet..." sides. But that's just my personal preference. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 1st, 2013, 1:05 pm

Ooh yeah that's a good idea :)
And no, the table doesn't include any Breed data, it's meant to be customizable so you can enter your own level 25 pets (which is what I had done in the example above) and only identify pet type and attack type strenghts/weaknesses. Doesn't matter what breed is a pet, if he's elemental, he'll still get an advantage over any mechanical. It's simply a quick reference table to see what each of my lvl 25 pet is good against.

But this table could definitely be taken up a notch: split each white cell into 3:
- My current level 25 Pets
- Tamer Daily Pets
- Other Pets I Could Level

That way you could easily see ALL the pets out there, those you can get, those that only NPC tamers have, clearly see every pet that is good against every pet, and quickly see which pets you could level that would bring you something you don't already have. But I did not have the patience to do that yet hehe, maybe later.

What I'm doing now is trying to fill in the white cells of my table with pets that I could level and that would give me a combination of type / attack type that I do not have. For example, my magic pets only have magic attacks except for my Oily Slimeling that has undead, aquatic and critter attacks. I did a quick search through my magic pets that aren't 25 and found that if I level Jade Owl, Minfernal and Twilight Fiendling, they'll all grant me a combination of type / attack type that I do not have, and I will be covering all possible magic pet combinations (which is all except Magic pet with Dragonkin Attack, which doesn't appear to be any).

Anyway, up to everyone to do with that table/template what they wish, there's more than one ways to use it.
Im just afraid not many will see the potential because it's ugly and a bit confusing at first hehe.
The color changes would help making it a bit less confusing though thanks for the suggestion ;)

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 7th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Sorry but compared to http://www.warcraftpets.com/images/pet-battles/wow-pet-battles-strong-weak-infographic.v7605.jpg
I find the table rather distracting....
:cry:

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Thanks for that, I had started doing something similar to that (i.e. which pets should I use for each daily trainer), but this is much more flexible.

And Drudatz, using that generic graphic only gives you half of the picture. You'd either have a pet that takes less damage OR does more damage. Zaelo's table gives you "super pets" that take less damage AND do more damage against specific enemies. Unless you have the specific attacks that your pets have memorized, then in that case bravo.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 8th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I'd love a copy of it. Could you email me a copy?

I build a spreadsheet myself but I like yours better. :)

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 9th, 2013, 4:02 am

Knotrandall wrote:Zaelo's table gives you "super pets" that take less damage AND do more damage against specific enemies. Unless you have the specific attacks that your pets have memorized, then in that case bravo.
I guess you missed 5.1 there are no more super pets thanks to switching from rock-paper-scissor to RNG is all...

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 9th, 2013, 10:59 am

Drudatz wrote:I guess you missed 5.1 there are no more super pets thanks to switching from rock-paper-scissor to RNG is all...
....what?
Every pet family still have bonuses both defensively and offensively against another pet family, nothing changed regarding that, so there will OF COURSE be a pet that is stronger against another pet..
And yeah, compared to the two wheels of family affinities that you posted a link to, my table is a lot more complicated and confusing, that's because there's about 100 times more info in my table than in that graphic.
Anyway..

-----

I'm returning with some good news! Stop working too hard on any spreadsheet guys!
I'm almost done populating the original list I had posted with EVERY single pet in the game, including the ones that only NPC Pet Trainers have.
I just need to finalize it and will be posting it on here soon (by this week-end hopefully)

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to share the XLS file, let me know! :)

Suspiro
Top Rater
Pet Score:4140
BattleTag®:Loni#1589
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Suspiro » January 9th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Zaelo wrote:If anyone has a suggestion as to how to share the XLS file, let me know! :)
GoogleDocs should work fine for that, I think.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 9th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Suspiro wrote:
Zaelo wrote:If anyone has a suggestion as to how to share the XLS file, let me know! :)
GoogleDocs should work fine for that, I think.
Yeah I was originally going with that, but the only thing is that I believe it requires a gmail account to view the file :/
Oh well, I think I'll convert to HTML, and it should be easy enough to find a place to host my html page :)

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 10th, 2013, 2:36 pm

This is coming along great!
I'll try to have it completed tonight! :D

Anyone has a web server that could host my stand-alone html document?
That'd be great! But if not I'm sure I can find a place online ;)

Malachite
Pet Score:1576
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Malachite » January 25th, 2013, 3:25 am

Your spreadsheet is fantastic! I'm a spreadsheet nut and find it very helpful. I've started making my own now following your template. Thanks again!

BTW..if you put your spreadsheet on Googledocs...you can then share the link with people (the option is something like 'people can see this page if they have the link) and then they do not need to have a google account.
Zaelo wrote:This is coming along great!
I'll try to have it completed tonight! :D

Anyone has a web server that could host my stand-alone html document?
That'd be great! But if not I'm sure I can find a place online ;)

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 25th, 2013, 9:36 am

Malachite wrote:Your spreadsheet is fantastic! I'm a spreadsheet nut and find it very helpful. I've started making my own now following your template. Thanks again!

BTW..if you put your spreadsheet on Googledocs...you can then share the link with people (the option is something like 'people can see this page if they have the link) and then they do not need to have a google account.
Well thank you :)
By the way, I had posted this one in another thread.
It's the same template, only ALL pets are in there, World Trainer Pets included
http://pastehtml.com/view/coq2d1gp6.html

As for the googledocs, I had tried and it was still asking me to log in with a gmail account to access the file :/
It's still better than jpgs though I guess, the complete template one I do not have it completed in Excel, but I do have the first one I had posted in this thread, I'll provide a link when I get back home tonight :)

Cheers!

Malachite

Post by Malachite » January 25th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Well thank you :) By the way, I had posted this one in another thread.
It's the same template, only ALL pets are in there, World Trainer Pets included
Wow...you really kicked it up a notch... :lol: Going to go spend some time going over it now. Thanks again for all your hard work.

My bad about Google, I misunderstood. I thought you had a google account but were trying to save others from having to sign up for one to view the doc. You are very right, as the poster of the doc you would have to have one.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 25th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Malachite wrote: My bad about Google, I misunderstood. I thought you had a google account but were trying to save others from having to sign up for one to view the doc. You are very right, as the poster of the doc you would have to have one.
No, you had it right.. I had uploaded it and tried opening it from another browser that I don't usually use, and it was asking me to log on with a gmail account before viewing the document..
Anyway lol, will post a link to the XLS tonight for the simplified version ;)

And you're welcome! glad some people seem to appreciate this crazy looking table lol

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3zurNFNARt9V1F2a1RHbnk0RGs/edit

how's this?
working for everyone?

of course the table currently lists MY level 25s.. up to you to replace the pets in there with your own :)

Malachite

Post by Malachite » January 26th, 2013, 8:57 am

Zaelo wrote: how's this?
working for everyone?

of course the table currently lists MY level 25s.. up to you to replace the pets in there with your own :)
Works for me. I stopped work on filling it in after getting your more advanced table as it just seems like I would be duplicating your efforts. :lol:

However, thinking I might do it just for fun and to see where my weakness areas area.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 26th, 2013, 3:18 pm

yeah both versions serve different purposes.. i find it nice to have the simpler one with just my 25s and then if i wonder which pet to level next, I check what are my weaknesses and go to the huge table to see what is available in those spots :)