Family Brawler: Thoughts and impact on the meta

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Family Brawler: Thoughts and impact on the meta

Post by Rosqo » January 25th, 2018, 5:50 pm

So now that Family Brawler has been out just over a week I was wondering how people think it’s going? I’ll write the pros and cons I feel have come out of it below.

Pros: - Increase in people queuing for PVP (albeit temporarily)
- Wide range of pets appearing in the queue
- Something for people to work towards

Cons: - A lot of matches are instant forfeits
- Much more RNG in match ups
- Once most people have completed it much harder for players still working on it.
- Doesn’t promote PVP team composition building
- Highlights the imbalance of family racials

I do think it’s cool that there has been some focus on PVP but in the post achievement meta it just feels like wins are much less often earned now rather than given out if you persist long enough waiting for someone completing this achievement to come along.

Rosqo

Re: Family Brawler: Thoughts and impact on the meta

Post by Rosqo » January 26th, 2018, 2:10 am

Biscuit wrote:
Rosqo wrote: - A lot of matches are instant forfeits
- Much more RNG in match ups
This is redundant as one is the direct cause of the other.
Not really, if you counter someone running a mechanical team they are likely to instantly forfeit. No RNG there just their team is incredibly unbalanced.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » January 26th, 2018, 3:35 am

I welcome any reason to do pet-pvp next to the weekly 10 wins quest. Through the familiar battles, ive gained almost a 100 extra wins towards the 5k, and as a player barely beyond the last achievement (1k), the next wins achievement seems impossibly far away.

I also think that even if it is temporary, its a good boost for people getting into pet pvp. They may not be hardcore and go after the 5k themselves, but getting some wins in with your own unusual team works really encouraging (even if you were just constantly beating a few poor people struggling on getting the triple aquatics done). Its the same with the weekly sign of the critter. While it may only be a temporary increase in the number and variety of battlers out there, its certainly always a welcome one.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

Rosqo wrote:Pros: - Increase in people queuing for PVP (albeit temporarily)
I dont belive that.
Rosqo wrote: Wide range of pets appearing in the queue
Not from what I can see. Its mostly the same Bone Serpant, Crows, Nexus Drakes, Alpine Foxling, etc
Rosqo wrote: Something for people to work towards
is it? I dont wanna be a new player that tries this in a year or more....
Rosqo wrote:Cons: - A lot of matches are instant forfeits
I dont see the con in this but on the contrary a logical step if you know you cant win. Why waste your time in a fight you cant win?
Hell this goes so far that I have today seen the first running a team named: [Brawl Help] [Its a Nightmare] [Please surrender] now his Team is called [Please surrender] [Brawl Help] [Please].
(No ofc I dont surrendered I have 4 new toons to level :))
Rosqo wrote:- Highlights the imbalance of family racials
I dont see that
Rosqo wrote:I do think it’s cool that there has been some focus on PVP but in the post achievement meta it just feels like wins are much less often earned now rather than given out if you persist long enough waiting for someone completing this achievement to come along.
I have said from the start making this for pvp is a terrible idea cause it wont work in the long run.
I think the people who really care for this achivement have done it already in the first week and with each day forward this will get harder and harder to get.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » February 12th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I’m still struggling with why people like instant forfeits? I get why players do it but it’s boring getting someone instantly flee 3-4 times on the bounce.

This achievement is already as hard as it will ever get already, the meta is back to normal uninspired haunt n stall, darkness or sunlight/photosynthesis garbage again.

I do think it was the wrong way to go for pvp forcing triple teams on everyone but it’s here now.

Tekulve2018
Pet Score:12103
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Tekulve2018 » February 12th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Well...
I started pet battles in 2012, I caught and breeds specifically with pet pvp in mind. I Played WoW for 3 years and eventually ended up with 2700pvp wins. I used pet pvp to level alts..I found to to be a quick way for the 90 to 100 toons.

Now back after 3 years away..I looked forward to all aspects of battlepets: collecting, leveling pets, pet pvp, trading pets and gold making -(finding bargains and selling for profit)- on multiple realms.

I find the Legion pets have added to pet pvp and that the family brawler achieve has increased pet pvp numbers greatly.

The achieve (I just completed it today) is filling the queue with magic and aquatic teams right now since those are often the last 2 that people finish out.
________
For people struggling with magic, I suggest 2x hyjal wisp (arcane blast, dodge,wish)and an enchanted broom(batter,sweep, wind up) - You may even get people fleeing - 4/10 of my wins were fleeing opponents

For aquatic, I used :
a puddle terror (with jab, stun and illuminate)- magical crawdad -surge,shell,wish(yeah overpriced atm) + purple puffer
(for cheaper, a p/p emperor crab -surge , shell, heal wave,is very solid)- note that the puddle terror is exceptionally good (and cheap enough) to consider a terror, terror, crawdad trio

I did use the s/s leopard tree frog once or twice but I dropped it when I was seeing no undead pets against me at all (which is a real indicator that the brawler achieve is still dominating pet pvp).

The achievement is not as daunting as many of the other pet achieves so I hope everyone gives it a whirl (the tabard is well worth it).. there are a ton of great pet pvp options. You can check out Discodoggy , Hirus and Rosqo's pet battling videos for tips and tricks. Sorry for the wall of text!
Tekulve

Tekulve2018
Pet Score:12103
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Tekulve2018 » February 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Truth be told, I really hate heal pets in pvp {aside from the s/s jademist dancer with the heal+ buff and the s/s nightshade sproutling (with nature ward)}

Choosing these Wish pets in these comps is an attempt to help folks have relatively easy comps to use.

The aquatic and magic families were seldom seen before this family brawler achieve. They are tougher to run X 3.
Wish is potent on a speedy pet, especially on the wisp that dodges. The crawdad has huge hp and the shell shield.
_____
I do have to say I feel badly for people that queue with uncommon pets trying for this achieve.. stats matter for speed advantage particularly in pet pvp.I highly recommend that people upgrade pets before doing pet pvp or you will have a rough go of it.
Good rng luck to you all
;)