Too many pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us
Too many pets

Post by Jazeel » December 1st, 2017, 9:12 pm

I know this might sound like heresy, but i think we have hit pet overload, ask yourself, how often do you summon a pet apart from levelling it?, going forward i would rather see a few pets with unique looks, and maybe a few new abilities, all my toons have a fave pet that matches their transmog/class/spec, though i am sure the developers can invent more i think that its time for pets to become rare and special going forward.

Ganksinatra
Top Rater
Pet Score:7785
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Re: Too many pets

Post by Ganksinatra » December 2nd, 2017, 6:38 am

Disagree 100%, keep'em coming blizz!

Dalandius
Pet Score:13133
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » December 2nd, 2017, 9:56 am

For me there are too many pets you can not get if you started collecting them when pet battles came into the game.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 2nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

Heresy! There can never be too many pets! (Ok, for a newer player or someone new to pet battling, it probably does seem overwhelming...)

I did like the idea that someone posted recently about having rarer colors/skins on some wild pets to add a twist to collecting. I think that would be a super fun way to give hardcore collectors something extra to do, without increasing the sheer amount of pets to get, for those who don't want to bother with it.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » December 3rd, 2017, 2:06 am

They're tapping into basic Collector urge so many of us have. And also the gotta-catch-'em-all that came with Pokémon. We all have OCD-lite and want to collect stuff. Mine has been helped by Legion, and all of the pets that are way too hard or time-consuming for me to even think about getting.

Suspect Blizzard originally introduced pet battles as maybe an experiment. But learned that lots of players got into it, and more importantly kept sending them 15 bucks every month. Has become major activity while we're killing time between expansions.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 3rd, 2017, 6:17 am

I'd say that there are not too many pets ever, but too many pets that are snowclones of other pets in appearance, performance or both.

Rabbits, roaches, cats and pre-Timeless Isle moths are the most obvious culprits but even less rife repetitions such as otters/civets or bandicoons are getting stale pretty fast.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Shashos
Pet Score:13727
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Shashos » December 3rd, 2017, 5:22 pm

Never too many for me!

If I had the money right now, I'd seriously consider setting up a new Bnet account just so I could collect all the pets again. I enjoyed the journey to where I am collection-wise greatly and would love to do it once more.

I do agree with one thing said above. I'd love to see less reuse of models and more unique/original looking pets. I was so disappointed that the new Cross Gazer pet wasn't the derpy Durumu model, but the old generic Willy one :)

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 3rd, 2017, 6:22 pm

Too many pets?
Too many? pets
Too? many? pets?
Pets many too?
Many Too Pets?

Sorry, I know each of the words, but I can't put them together in an order that makes sense. :)
Shashos wrote:I enjoyed the journey to where I am collection-wise greatly and would love to do it once more.
Me too. I wish I could forget everything I know and start again. I even at one point considered releasing everything, but I did a Great Cull once, when I was refining my roster to level everything and get/keep the breeds I wanted, and that was enough pet trauma for one lifetime.

It probably isn't the same experience now, with all the catch-up mechanisms operating on full steroids, but it was truly great back in Mists.

Revmrblacktn
Pet Score:8248
BattleTag®:mousemanic#1251
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Revmrblacktn » December 4th, 2017, 10:53 am

I agree with the posts about the fun of pet collecting. I have been playing about 2.5 years and have very much enjoyed the journey of collecting the pets and would like to do it again, but I know it wouldn't be the same. New pets mean more game play for me.

Griselda
Top Rater
Pet Score:4852
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Griselda » December 4th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I have to agree with the majority---you can never have or collect TOO many battle pets.

However, with the constant addition of new ones to collect the only "gripe" I have is the fact that ones from rewards, quests, vendors, etc all start at level 1. I wish the rare pets we achieved through achievements or bought from vendors (either from rep or holiday, etc)--those should arguably start higher than level 1.

I tend to capture a lot of pets I personally find cute in the wild since they only need 2 or 3 levels before they are maxed. The majority of my level 25 collection that I battle with are wild pets. I would like to have more pets that I "worked" for (so to speak) either ones I collected from vendors or quests, etc start at something higher than just level 1. That's my ONLY "wish", about this whole thing.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Gráinne wrote:Me too. I wish I could forget everything I know and start again. I even at one point considered releasing everything, but I did a Great Cull once, when I was refining my roster to level everything and get/keep the breeds I wanted, and that was enough pet trauma for one lifetime.

It probably isn't the same experience now, with all the catch-up mechanisms operating on full steroids, but it was truly great back in Mists.
Ahh, I too did a mass cull back in the day, when it finally hit me that having 10 different types of rabbits in S/S wasn't always the way to go, and that maybe a P/P Nexus Whelpling really did make a difference. The hard part for me is I had been actively leveling my collection and had mostly rares... to let go of that many leveled, rare pets felt like a massive setback, but I did it because I knew it would only get harder if I put it off.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » December 6th, 2017, 7:47 am

No such thing as too many pets! :D
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » December 8th, 2017, 9:09 am

Paladance wrote:I'd say that there are not too many pets ever, but too many pets that are snowclones of other pets in appearance, performance or both.

Rabbits, roaches, cats and pre-Timeless Isle moths are the most obvious culprits but even less rife repetitions such as otters/civets or bandicoons are getting stale pretty fast.
I can agree with this. I feel a pass needs to go through some of the older wild pets and change up abilities or breeds or something to make the pets distinct from one another. Look at snakes... other than color what's the difference for the vast majority of them? 22 snakes have the exact same moveset... only 1 has a different model. At this point it's wishful thinking but I hold out hope that something like this could happen in the future.

Prairiehamster
Pet Score:11380
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Prairiehamster » December 10th, 2017, 2:53 am

No no. We finally got a draenei little girl pet (perfect to be a little sister for my paladin draenei) which means we need to keep going until there's a nelf kid for my druid's sister/brother!

That said, unless the bunnies start coming in bright blue or on fire, there might be a few too many of them.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » December 18th, 2017, 5:11 am

The big problem with so many pets (we may reach over 1000 next expansion), is that for new players it will be too many to get.
Most of us have them all rared and maxed, but imagine how long it takes to level a thousand pets? Not something nice to look forward to (I suppose some enjoy it?). Also with dozens of pets no longer available, it may be a reason to not start collecting since they will have big gaps in their collection.

I don't think us petcollectors will die out anytime soon, but it may become a niche part of the game. As others said, only add unique pets to the game; Another rat, snake or spider is just +1 to the collection which will never be used.

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » December 18th, 2017, 5:59 am

Jazeel wrote:I know this might sound like heresy, but i think we have hit pet overload, ask yourself, how often do you summon a pet apart from levelling it?, going forward i would rather see a few pets with unique looks, and maybe a few new abilities, all my toons have a fave pet that matches their transmog/class/spec, though i am sure the developers can invent more i think that its time for pets to become rare and special going forward.
I totally agree with you, for me there is no point in a lot of moth and roach all looking exactly like others. better put a few cool pets with sick animation and skin than a lot of all same old stuff.

rather quality than quantity.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 18th, 2017, 9:00 am

I do not disagree or agree either way.

I don't mind collecting, except that now the only ones I can get are 25/30K and up, and getting them is a joke ... like how many days and years you are going to farm that one Whelpling and he never drops ... gets kinda ridiculous after a while. Same thing with that Raptor in Zul'bratbs, and then someone that is not a pet collector, or player gets it, and puts it up for sale at 50K.

That kinda takes the taste for the whole pet thing a bit out for me, but all in all, and I have no real complaints other than the issue with duplication ... and then a year ago, when the numbers changed some, all of a sudden, the new pets are pretty much a duplication of the previous ones on a different model and looks.

I can imagine that some things in the game could use adjustment, and the failure of the tournament in the Timeless Isle, and the other two pet dungeons, should be a signal that ... they should either open those up, or remove them ... you're not going to get me to waste my time doing a pet dungeon, specially when the whole thing is ridiculous and you can't "heal" anything ... meaning you have to have pets to cover (no issue there for me, I do ... but most don't!) ... and the result is ... wow ... a worthless pet ... not even a nice cat like the other tournament, though the whole thing to get to it ... is just not worth my time, and I'm retired and could easily do it ... just not going to do so! spend a whole week or two ... and only get one pet ... maybe two ... and only one is usable more often than not.

I suppose that one of the ideas they could use is giving you a chance to improve or update a pet here and there ... and they would have to be the pets that are within the bottom 30% or so, and that you have never used ... beetles, rabbits (except that one fight in Stormheim), mice, cats, and the like, hugely underused sections in your collection, specially when opposed to the likes of a few Dragonkin types that you end up using most of the time, because they are efficient.

The racial abilities are supposed to work, and the only strategy that has been done in the past two to three years is a change in their abilities ... so when you fight this one boss and his cronies, the beast, does not use beast abilities and neither do the critters use critter abilities ... and while seeing these set in stone is probably not a good idea, giving us another option, to counter that ability change on the boss, would be a nice way to handle it.

All in all ... bring back the 100+ pets that can not be gotten, so the pet thing levels off a bit better ... kinda disappointing that I can not get to the "higher" level (per Warcraft Pets numbers), because the ability to get that last bunch of pets is simply not available, and that does not state/show that those folks are good players in the pet battle community, but that they collect it better than you or I. I would like to see the "collecting" adjusted to some players that actually pet battle ... as rewards for their dedication ... well, maybe I can go to the inet, buy some gold, and purchase 10 pets real quick ... ohhh trashqwe;rsrgjsdfsfjk I only went up 20 points on the scale! See you 5,000 after I'm dead and gone!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » December 18th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Uduwudu wrote:I don't mind collecting, except that now the only ones I can get are 25/30K and up, and getting them is a joke ... like how many days and years you are going to farm that one Whelpling and he never drops ... gets kinda ridiculous after a while. Same thing with that Raptor in Zul'bratbs, and then someone that is not a pet collector, or player gets it, and puts it up for sale at 50K.
I don't know about others here but I'm VERY grateful that there is often the option to buy some of those crazy rare pets!! I will always grind for a new pet initially but I eventually get to a point where I've had enough and I like knowing that the option to buy is there (Knockoff Blingtron for example). Gold is SUPER easy to get and a couple of weeks of farming gold will get that pet that you've been so unlucky with. I'm sorry but I love having that option. I've also made good money on surplus pets and I rather like that side of things too!
Uduwudu wrote: and the failure of the tournament in the Timeless Isle, and the other two pet dungeons, should be a signal that ... they should either open those up, or remove them ... you're not going to get me to waste my time doing a pet dungeon, specially when the whole thing is ridiculous and you can't "heal" anything ... meaning you have to have pets to cover (no issue there for me, I do ... but most don't!) ... and the result is ... wow ... a worthless pet ... not even a nice cat like the other tournament, though the whole thing to get to it ... is just not worth my time, and I'm retired and could easily do it ... just not going to do so! spend a whole week or two ... and only get one pet ... maybe two ... and only one is usable more often than not.
"Failure" of the tournament and dungeons? I hardly think they were a failure. The tournament was fantastic! It was a challenge, it was interesting, it was different and it rewarded some amazing looking pets for those who put the effort in. The exact opposite of a "failure". The pet dungeons might not be quite so good but Blizz improved by getting rid of the random drop pets with the Deadmines and they aren't exactly time-consuming to do.
Uduwudu wrote:All in all ... bring back the 100+ pets that can not be gotten, so the pet thing levels off a bit better ... kinda disappointing that I can not get to the "higher" level (per Warcraft Pets numbers), because the ability to get that last bunch of pets is simply not available, and that does not state/show that those folks are good players in the pet battle community, but that they collect it better than you or I. I would like to see the "collecting" adjusted to some players that actually pet battle ... as rewards for their dedication ... well, maybe I can go to the inet, buy some gold, and purchase 10 pets real quick ... ohhh trashqwe;rsrgjsdfsfjk I only went up 20 points on the scale! See you 5,000 after I'm dead and gone!
This is a contentious issue and I know my opinion is not a popular one but I really DON'T want those rare pets bought back. I have played this game for a LONG time and I dedicated my time, gold and REAL money to collecting pets from the start, long before they were battle-pets. There was no reward for collecting pets back then. If anything, they were a pain. They took up bag/bank slots, were often long grinds to get, didn't give achievements (no such thing back then), there were no ranked realm lists like today. I collected pets purely for the LOVE of them. I like that my dedication paid off and I now have some pets that are no longer available.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420