How do you perceive value of the pets in gold?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
How do you perceive value of the pets in gold?

Post by Paladance » June 13th, 2017, 1:57 am

Of course, they are priceless, and one would never, ever treat them as a commodity. :mrgreen:
But besides that, we still need to get gold for other pets, including these already put on Auction House.
How much would you pay, or like to earn for some of them?

Pet Magpie helps me a lot but I like to categorise pets by their source and set the same price for them. In the first year of WoD, I hierarchised them somehow like this (I forgot about yearly world event pets, old world drops and Archaeology didn't include Crawling Claw):
Pets no longer obtainable (most of them aren't cageable anyway, but Hatespark the Tiny is a proud example) > TCG pets >= Darkmoon Rabbit > SoO drops > Moon Moon, Syd the Squid and Darkmoon Eye >= Pandaria world drops + Pandaren Water Spirit >= purchasable Darkmoon pets > other Pandaren Spirits = Archaeology pets (depends on tier) > BoF pandas > RwL pets
Nowadays, however, I'm confused. I still have some hard-coded associations such as 10k for non-Winter Veil seasonal pets (to give a particularly mild example), but some areas skyrocketed due to lack of interest in farming MoP and RwL seems to depend totally on local old raid runs. Same for usefulness in strats for pet collectors per realm. Breeds are rarely a thing (except the Raven ofc) but I prefer to discount the bad ones anyway.

I'm not really that AH shark. I don't surround myself by spreadsheets, addons, TUJ, etc. because I know it would drain out the remains of my sanity. ;) Perhaps also I'm not the only one who takes it intuitively, or uses alternative ways such as exchanges or guild connections. But maybe is there someone with a more business-oriented perspective who would laugh at that writing for the ignorance leaking out? :oops:

Additional notes:
  • I have gold on two EU realms, Burning Legion and Emerald Dream. The first one is pretty high-pop, pets relatively easy to obtain are really cheap and some of the buyers are actually resellers I see all time. The other one has a low demand, so low than even >50% discounts don't make it unless it's something like Albino Buzzard. I'm planning to check out Aszune one day, but I expect the low demand aswell.
  • Dunno why Pet Charm pets are often more expensive than they're supposed to be. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Re: How do you perceive value of the pets in gold?

Post by Mehetabel » June 13th, 2017, 4:26 am

Very interesting discussion. It's something I've been keeping a close eye on lately due to the Legion RNG pets I'm missing.

I also have gold on two EU realms - Lightbringer (home realm - medium pop) and Silvermoon (high pop) and the most interesting thing I've noticed this expac is that the prices seem to be very similar across both realms, especially for the Legion pets like the Albino Buzzard, Knockoff Blingtron etc.

The thing with me is that I hate spending gold. Even on pets. Especially on RNG pets when I know patience will get them for me in the end. I think the most I've ever spent on a pet on the AH was around 100k and I can't remember what that was but I "think" it might have been a TCG pet like the rocket chicken. For drop pets these days the price pretty much has to be under 20k and I need to be extremely fed up for me to give in and buy them. :lol:

Even that celestial calf . .. I can easily afford it but can't (yet) bring myself to buy it. I know I'll probably end up waiting until that's one of the last pets I need. :lol:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Paladance

Post by Paladance » June 13th, 2017, 5:47 am

Mehetabel wrote:The thing with me is that I hate spending gold. Even on pets. Especially on RNG pets when I know patience will get them for me in the end. I think the most I've ever spent on a pet on the AH was around 100k and I can't remember what that was but I "think" it might have been a TCG pet like the rocket chicken. For drop pets these days the price pretty much has to be under 20k and I need to be extremely fed up for me to give in and buy them. :lol:
I remember a time when Timeless Isle drops used to be priced in the 3-6k range. :(

To be frank, I haven't spent much on pets yet, usually no more than 10k at once. I don't touch TCG pets yet because I'm discouraged by snatches and dupes on them. :oops:

I wonder whether and how much the tokens took their part aswell in shaping the current market?

Once I managed to grip a Darkmoon Rabbit for 25k, but because I didn't like its breed, I gave it away -- both things not imaginable these days. :lol:

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » June 13th, 2017, 8:54 am

Like you, I try to rank them based upon their rarity and possibly future rarity.

Anything no longer obtainable ( Hatespark or TCG pets) - Things that are a PITA to obtain (low drop rates on gated content such as Darkmoon Rabbit or Current Raid Heroic/Mythic Pets) - Things that can be farmed with a low drop rate (vanilla etc low drop rate pets, RwL) - Pet battle common reward pets (spirit tamers, pandas, etc) -Seasonal pets (so many people have these since they have been out a while) - Guaranteed drop pets.

Mainly I just look at AH prices over a few days- weeks - months and see how the pets are faring in price.

For me, gold is a proxy for time. It has almost no use for me now except to buy a few rare pets and mounts, so it's devalued in daily use. I never buy anything other than pets/mounts from the AH and I sell more things than I buy. If I have the money, the pet is a rare rng drop, and the pet is listed at a lower price than I have seen the pet previously selling at, I will buy it instead of continuing the forced farm. A little patience and you can get a good deal and it frees up my time for other things. Though my AH is dead, so a good deal on it, is probably a crappy deal elsewhere. I view the gold as my bad luck prevention mechanic. It's work I have already put in towards an indefinite future goal.

Mirith
Pet Score:11678
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Mirith » June 13th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Given the plethora of gold sources now, especially if you run alts, I got into the habit of buying a lot of the pets. The remaining ones are ridiculously expensive, or I feel like I can just keep trying since it doesn't take much work (Knockoff Blingtron, I spent the time to level a goblin to ~10-12 to buy that one pet, etc). For some reason I refuse to buy the Crawling Claw though.
If its 10K or less, I just buy it, and up until recently, if for only 1-2K more, I would get the level 25. Now, I have tons of pet charms (Alts with Zookeeper) and finished leveling my pets, so it is not a big deal.

Other pets, given the hassle, I was willing to spend up to 50K on, many of them timeless isle pets, since I got the easily farmed ones.
At this point I am considering buying Battle.net tokens for pets in the store. Since w/ US prices its about 250K for 3 Pets.

What do people do with all of the pets you can't really sell on the AH? I have a bank filling up with Risen Saber Kittens and Lurking Owl Kitten, and Left Sharks.

Are Felbat Pups (From the original pre-legion invasions) available again now that you can get shards again?

Salus
Pet Score:8751
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Salus » June 14th, 2017, 7:06 am

Mirith wrote: What do people do with all of the pets you can't really sell on the AH? I have a bank filling up with Risen Saber Kittens and Lurking Owl Kitten, and Left Sharks.

Sell them, not often - but they sell. Also, your buyer is likely to be someone who mistakes the 10 they see on the AH for the entire supply on the server, so don't set your price super low, 20-50g is usually enough to sucker them in.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » June 14th, 2017, 8:03 am

I started playing in WoD so I had a lot of time to catch up on collecting and with garrisons, gold was abundant so I just set my own max of 30k per pet and bought them slowly when the breed/price were right. I bought all the rare ones and stockpiled gold for Legion so I could buy any rare ones (bling, thistle, wonderball, etc) and get the celestial calf. I don't really do anything else with my gold so if it saves me the headache of farming or RNG then I'll just buy it.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » June 14th, 2017, 9:10 am

The large differences in pet prices across realms can be a real pain. On my realm, what is 250k worth of pets here, was only 40k worth on a large realm as Stormrage. If i'm trying to do a pet trade cross server, or trying to get gold on another server, I usually check the undermine journal. I usually only bother with very high cost (10k and above) pets, as otherwise the losses/gains probebly dont matter awfully much.

I'm currently farming for the spider, and RwL'shes pets are a great addditional source of income. I also level alts by making them do pet battle dailies, so the occaisionally dark moon faire pet or albino buzzard are welcome additions to my wallet. Pets are (in my opinion, ofc) a great source of income even for people who don't "play the AH" or anything like that.

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » June 14th, 2017, 9:20 am

https://theunderminejournal.com/

You can track not only how much pets on your server go for but you can see trends on other servers. Since pets are account-wide it's easy to move gold around and buy cheaper pets on other servers... but it does take a time commitment.

EDIT: Nagini beat me to it :lol:

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » June 14th, 2017, 9:26 am

Mirith wrote:What do people do with all of the pets you can't really sell on the AH? I have a bank filling up with Risen Saber Kittens and Lurking Owl Kitten, and Left Sharks.
Usually, I either sell really cheap 1-5 gold or just give away in trade chat. People will always take free things.
Mirith wrote:Are Felbat Pups (From the original pre-legion invasions) available again now that you can get shards again?
No, but some people stocked up a supply like the Iron Starlette. The supply is likely more than will ever make you rich (Still have 20 Iron Starlettes and 37 Felbat Pups.)

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » June 14th, 2017, 9:51 am

Mirith wrote: What do people do with all of the pets you can't really sell on the AH? I have a bank filling up with Risen Saber Kittens and Lurking Owl Kitten, and Left Sharks.
I this has nothing to do with the topic on hand but I have wanted to see something like pet alchemy for awhile now. Yes, yes I am a horrible monster for thinking this but I do main an undead warlock. Something like combining three left sharks would make a little whale shark. Combine a full set of winter veil pets, eggs, flour and water would make a gingerbread man, soul optional.

It would be a new use for those pets and would be something fun that the community could do together to find out the pet/ items combos.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 14th, 2017, 10:56 am

Kalium wrote: No, but some people stocked up a supply like the Iron Starlette. The supply is likely more than will ever make you rich (Still have 20 Iron Starlettes and 37 Felbat Pups.)
The vendor never went away, unless they removed her in 7.2.5. Pretty sure I looked at her stuff in 7.2.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » June 14th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Nagini wrote:The large differences in pet prices across realms can be a real pain. On my realm, what is 250k worth of pets here, was only 40k worth on a large realm as Stormrage. If i'm trying to do a pet trade cross server, or trying to get gold on another server, I usually check the undermine journal. I usually only bother with very high cost (10k and above) pets, as otherwise the losses/gains probebly dont matter awfully much.
Currently my attempts to shovel cash from ED to BL end in vain because when it looks like this:
mp.png
mp.png (26.1KiB)Viewed 8237 times
one can't really bother, even for moral reasons. :lol:
(For this snapshot, there are more interesting pets on further pages, but a picture like that happens often enough to be annoying.)
And yes, I appreciate the global graph of TUJ, just I don't think I can interpret that properly. ;)
Gilneas wrote:The vendor never went away, unless they removed her in 7.2.5. Pretty sure I looked at her stuff in 7.2.
2nding that.

I've purchased in Dalaran a lot of [ability]Autumnal Sproutling[/ability]s looking for a perfect breed (and the Gullible title perhaps? ;)) Luckily enough, it still can be sold for surprisingly much.

Sonso
Pet Score:13732
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Sonso » June 14th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Commenting from a buyers perspective since the craziness of Legions rng factor I will say that I equate earning the gold to purchase pets in the same way I do as earning them through game play. There's possibly more pride associated with getting them in game but it is also discouraging. Since I enjoy seeing my collection grow and don't want to be frustrated on a daily basis this works for me. I will buy at the first opportunity any pet locked behind rng as soon as it shows up. Sometimes it works out great as in Lagan and Wondrous Wisdom Ball other times I lose large chunks of gold and find myself selling the same pet for a fraction of what I paid for it.

So if your selling do it as early as possible because gold is plentiful and luck (at least for me) is scarce. It's a gambol either way.

PS I still continue to do the content and enjoy it for what it is. Should I get an extra pet I sell it.

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » June 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Gilneas wrote:
Kalium wrote: No, but some people stocked up a supply like the Iron Starlette. The supply is likely more than will ever make you rich (Still have 20 Iron Starlettes and 37 Felbat Pups.)
The vendor never went away, unless they removed her in 7.2.5. Pretty sure I looked at her stuff in 7.2.
Paladance wrote:
Gilneas wrote:The vendor never went away, unless they removed her in 7.2.5. Pretty sure I looked at her stuff in 7.2.
2nding that.

I've purchased in Dalaran a lot of [ability]Autumnal Sproutling[/ability]s looking for a perfect breed (and the Gullible title perhaps? ;)) Luckily enough, it still can be sold for surprisingly much.
Unless old age has really started to mess with me the [pet]Felbat Pup[/pet] was only available from [url]http://www.wowhead.com/npc=109912/captive-wyrmtongue[/url] during the Legion invasion event so... unavailable.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 18th, 2017, 10:04 am

Kalium wrote:\Unless old age has really started to mess with me the [pet]Felbat Pup[/pet] was only available from [url]http://www.wowhead.com/npc=109912/captive-wyrmtongue[/url] during the Legion invasion event so... unavailable.
I am aware of where he is from, and my comment stands. Like I just said, I have not confirmed extremely recently, but post-launch... either 7.1.5 or 7.2, the items were there and purchasable. I haven't bothered to confirm or deny whether this is true or not in 7.2.5 any longer.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » June 18th, 2017, 10:54 am

Gilneas wrote:
Kalium wrote:\Unless old age has really started to mess with me the [pet]Felbat Pup[/pet] was only available from [url]http://www.wowhead.com/npc=109912/captive-wyrmtongue[/url] during the Legion invasion event so... unavailable.
I am aware of where he is from, and my comment stands. Like I just said, I have not confirmed extremely recently, but post-launch... either 7.1.5 or 7.2, the items were there and purchasable. I haven't bothered to confirm or deny whether this is true or not in 7.2.5 any longer.
I've finally checked it.
The wyrmtongue vendors are still here but they have only their gossip talk -- they don't sell anything anymore.
According to folks on Wowhead that was a silent hotfix somewhen in the 7.2.
(OT: Illidari Darkdealers still sell bandages, potions and felstones that work up to 109th level. I don't think you can get nethershards while levelling by the current invasions, though.)

Paladance

Post by Paladance » September 19th, 2017, 7:02 am

Sorry for a double but there's much more to talk about since the patch.

Maybe it's a skewed time perception but RwL V pets seem to slip down a bit slower than other editions.

I'm not sure how much should I ask for regarding Dibbler, Buzzard or Wailing Caverns pets. I'm also surprised how fast Orphaned Felbats dropped below a respectful tier.

Perhaps Skyfin would also drop sooner than later.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 19th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Paladance wrote:I'm not sure how much should I ask for regarding Dibbler, Buzzard or Wailing Caverns pets. I'm also surprised how fast Orphaned Felbats dropped below a respectful tier.

Perhaps Skyfin would also drop sooner than later.
(On US servers) Dibbler's come down really hard as the drop rate seems high compared to the buzzard. WC pets vary wildly by pet, with the Everliving Spore still quite pricey most likely due to lower drop rate + not many people doing the content - on the other hand I have a backstock of 3 or 4 Young Venomfangs that I can't seem to get rid of.

Skyfins are already very low (under 1k), I sold mine as fast as I could as I knew the price would tank as people continued farming eggs for mounts.

Annalu
Pet Score:9568
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Annalu » September 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm

Dibbler really has a high drop rate. I'm surprised the price is still what it is given that it's from an easy to complete daily quest. The only minor inconvenience is the slightly out-of-the-way location (for Alliance) and out-of-the-way (for Horde). I have several duplicates for sale myself after doing the daily for maybe a week... and they don't sell, so I expect the price will drop even more.

As for gold vs pets, I compare the time to get RNG pets with a nice'n'easy legion mat farm.

An example I was just looking at (US servers): I could get a Spineclaw Crab for 300k or I could farm for it myself.
Given that it's a low drop rate from a rare on a 30-60m timer, I would have to get a 110 alt parked out of the way on Timeless Isle (because traveling there is inconvenient), then I'd have to spend time killing crabs and waiting for the rare and not getting the pet drop and potentially missing out on the kill because I was too far and someone else killed it instead.

OR I could spend maybe 50h herbing/mining, getting let's say 2 stacks of whatever per hour (and this is without trying overly much), sell the stuff at let's say 15g a piece and buying the pet (2 stacks * 200 ore/plant * 15g * 50 hours = 300k). No RNG, no paying attention much, and making consistent progress. And this is low balling any gold earnings.

Could I get the pet to drop in 50h? Of course, but it's more likely I wouldn't get it and I'd also be frustrated with the process. On the other hand, even some inexpert farming for gold while doing world quests would get me the pet eventually.