fastest way to gain honor for pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Flibbit
MVP
Pet Score:13901
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us
fastest way to gain honor for pets?

Post by Flibbit » September 10th, 2017, 4:20 am

Ground rule: Let's not reopen the debate about the recent cross-faction change for the prestige pets, there's another thread for that. This is simply a friendly conversation about what you think is the best way to earn honor ;)

So I'm aware of the various ways to earn honor. I think a lot of people (including me) gravitate to the world quests because they are easy, and probably the best honor-per-minute you can earn. But the flip-side of that of course is that you can only earn so much per day that way, and a lot of us don't want to wait months to finish the prestige pets if it can be helped, which is what the WQ-only model requires.

How much can you reasonably earn per hour otherwise, and is there a specific approach you use/used that works well?

I've got another ~120k honor to go and figured it was worth the 5 minutes it takes to ask.Thanks in advance for input and advice.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Re: fastest way to gain honor for pets?

Post by Nagini » September 10th, 2017, 5:55 am

If you're looking to grind it out, but not immediately, you might want to wait for a week that has PvP as a weekly event. You'll get bonus honor for doing skirmishes or battlegrounds. The "brawls" are also usually pretty decent honor.

If you're a warrior, the chest in the hall of valor class hall arena sometimes gives 1k honor, and you have a chance at that once a week.

Other than that, it is quite the grind, so if you say, enjoy arena's more then bg's, i very much recommend just doing what you like best.

Dalandius
Pet Score:13133
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » September 10th, 2017, 8:53 am

Seeing that you hate PvP I would say just stick to the towers and Brawls.

I see you are a mage so you cam instantly complete a WQ every 18 hours (I would do a brawl). Depending on how many brawls you do each day you only have: Do 1 86 days, Do 2 63 days, Do 3 50 days to go.

If you want to do it quicker you are going to have to do real PvP, I see from the Calendar that from the 26th is BG week so doing it then should be better, also as alliance you most likely will also have the Enlistment bonus (50% bonus honor in BQs) I believe they stack.

Steniaspets
MVP
Pet Score:8596
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Steniaspets » September 10th, 2017, 12:30 pm

I used to hate PvP but did it for the Children's Week acheev so I could get that Sweet Violet Protodrake mount. After that nightmare I actually started to like certain BGs - that might happen for you as well.

I would suggest that you do all the Free For All Brawls (sometimes there are only NPCs especially at odd hours and you can make quick work of it for 500 Honor). Doing the Brawls 20x each will also get you a Prestige mount that you can use on all your characters so that's something to keep in mind while you grind out the honor. [Achievement: Free For All, More For Me]

If the Murloc Freedom one is up, loot as many of the timeworn artifact jars and turn them (and the ones that drop from mobs) into the Murloc standing in the crumbled semi-circle. The don't give a ton of honor but it does add up.

I also found that the 40 man BGs were good because of the sheer number of people killing the opposing side, even if you don't win it you may find you've earned a very decent amount of Honor just for being in the BG. Warning though, if your computer is a little laggish (like mine) the 40 mans can make your life awful. But with a good 'puter you can do well.

I wish you luck, the Prestige pets are pretty fun. It's worth it.

Flibbit
MVP
Pet Score:13901
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Flibbit » September 10th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Dalandius wrote:Seeing that you hate PvP I would say just stick to the towers and Brawls.

I see you are a mage so you cam instantly complete a WQ every 18 hours (I would do a brawl). Depending on how many brawls you do each day you only have: Do 1 86 days, Do 2 63 days, Do 3 50 days to go.
I do have a powerful dislike for PvP, it's true :) But I also have a powerful desire to finish my collection again, and this plus Micronax are the 3 that I have remaining that will require real effort. It's because of the dislike I'm just trying to be smart about this - I know there are no ways to throw gold at the problem and no real shortcuts to be had, so I'm just looking for the fastest realistic way through, and thanks to you and the others who have replied for giving me some input.

Towers and one auto-completed brawl every 18 hours is exactly where all my existing honor has come from. I'm currently looking at another 78 days at that speed, and invariably there are days where I don't get to login, so it'll be more than that calendar-wise.
Steniaspets wrote:I also found that the 40 man BGs were good because of the sheer number of people killing the opposing side, even if you don't win it you may find you've earned a very decent amount of Honor just for being in the BG. Warning though, if your computer is a little laggish (like mine) the 40 mans can make your life awful. But with a good 'puter you can do well.
I did a handful of these back when the prestige pets were new, just to test the waters, and the honor gain seemed to be tiny - but many things about BGs, honor, and bonuses have changed since then plus I'm judging from only a few datapoints which might not be a fair representation. I'll absolutely give it another chance, especially in the bonus week. Haven't tried arenas, mostly because I'm *bad* at PvP too and don't want to inflict myself on a small team like that :D Yes, that's the only way I'll get better, but at least on a 40-person team I don't do too much harm when averaged out with everyone else. I do great DPS if I'm not getting interrupted or running for my life, but well yeah, PvP :P

Kelldorn
Pet Score:4353
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Kelldorn » September 11th, 2017, 7:48 am

Don't forget to use your Guild Battle Standard just before you complete any of the WQ that reward honor. The 15% bonus is helping me along nicely.

You can also do a quest in Wintergrasp to kill 10 enemy faction. I usually kill the guards on the bridge. That's another 50 or 75 honor. Most times Wintergrasp is empty, and you might be there for the battle. Another quest to win that for a bit more honor.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » September 11th, 2017, 3:10 pm

There are/were a couple set groups that do Ashran, which can be a nice bit of honor if they are doing events. Thought you may need to play during prime time to get in. Off hours I have trouble finding a steady group.

Sarajiel
Pet Score:5538
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Sarajiel » September 15th, 2017, 4:58 pm

You might want to check out Tol Barad at least once a week for the weekly quest. Surprisingly the guild standard works for that quest turn-in as well!

If your faction dominates that zone in your battlegroup/realm cluster, you may even want do it back to back and just AFK the last couple of minutes each time. Early on in Legion I've seen people fleeing the zone after they noticed me and some of the other notorious honor farmers waiting at the end of the bridge. :lol:

However if you are on the always losing side, just try to do the weekly during the off hours. :cry:
Sarajiel's dose of nerd culture...

www.piratez.cc

The next novel will be out Soon™

Studmuffyn
Pet Score:13112
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Studmuffyn » September 19th, 2017, 3:07 am

Kelldorn wrote:Don't forget to use your Guild Battle Standard just before you complete any of the WQ that reward honor. The 15% bonus is helping me along nicely.

You can also do a quest in Wintergrasp to kill 10 enemy faction. I usually kill the guards on the bridge. That's another 50 or 75 honor. Most times Wintergrasp is empty, and you might be there for the battle. Another quest to win that for a bit more honor.
If only it worked on the 500 honor ones:O(

Sarajiel
Pet Score:5538
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Sarajiel » September 19th, 2017, 7:04 am

Studmuffyn wrote:
It does, if you can insta-complete them via the Order Hall upgrade :mrgreen:
Sarajiel's dose of nerd culture...

www.piratez.cc

The next novel will be out Soon™

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » September 19th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Sarajiel wrote:
Studmuffyn wrote:
Works for, at least, Black Rook Rumble (provided you drop it before you die when completing).

Studmuffyn
Pet Score:13112
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Studmuffyn » September 21st, 2017, 8:48 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:
Sarajiel wrote:
Studmuffyn wrote:
Works for, at least, Black Rook Rumble (provided you drop it before you die when completing).
Lol, thats the one i usually autovomplete, it doesn't work on any of the others though sadly, the towers always though.