Cata raiding with leashes pets

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mynxie
Pet Score:4553
Realm:Thrall-us
Cata raiding with leashes pets

Post by Mynxie » September 6th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Are any of these good for battles?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Cata raiding with leashes pets

Post by Quintessence » September 6th, 2017, 3:57 pm

This discussion on the RWLV breeds by Gráinne might interest you!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 7th, 2017, 1:53 pm

This earlier PTR-era analysis by Biscuit viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17113 is perhaps more informative.

It does, however, consider the pets from a PvP point of view. For example, a tailored Bone Serpent counter is of limited use in PvE. I realise I took that point of view as well in my breeds choices. For example, I dithered between P/P and S/B breeds for Blazehound, coming down on the side of S/B, but if I was thinking about PvE only, it would be P/P with no hesitation at all.

Which makes me ask myself: does the phrase "good new pet for PvE" mean anything at all?

All PvE battles can be read off a site, or botted, with 30-50 established pets. Even if Blizzard made a new pet that is strong for PvE, like the Teroclaw, you don't actually need it for anything; it may just make a battle a bit more convenient, or a round shorter, or a bit more accessible for beginners who haven't get developed their rosters.

I haven't really looked at what new pets fill a niche for PvE, but that's largely because all the niches are already filled, and there are no battles you can lose as long as you have the core set of PvE pets.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 7th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Yeah I guess I should always qualify my picks with "from a PvE perspective" since I PvP so very little.

I do want to add that sometimes it's hard to tell if a pet will be useful in the future. I think the new Family Fighter achievement proves that. There's pets I've never used (beyond leveling) like Enchanted Pen and Nether Roach that have proven to be useful for me even if initially they didn't look like much.