Animations stuck

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu
Animations stuck

Post by Gráinne » September 6th, 2017, 8:11 am

I've been seeing some pet battle animations "sticking", with Surge, Powerball and Lift-Off among the set where the pet keeps doing the animation, or gets stuck part-way, for many seconds, or perhaps even a minute or more. I last saw it mid-Mists, I think in 5.3. It's annoying, and 7.3 brought it back.

Paladance reminded me, on the EU forums, that perhaps others are seeing this too.

Invoking a UI element will unstick it. So hit N for talents or Y for achievements, or do a Print Screen, and the battle will carry on.

EDIT: Hovering your mouse over the question-mark icon for Help also unsticks the animation.
Last edited by Gráinne on September 16th, 2017, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Re: Animations stuck

Post by Merana » September 6th, 2017, 11:40 am

I've seen Flyby trigger that too, and Bert's Bot Clamp's Drill Charge. Thanks for the tip with the UI element! I usually just waited until it continued, and wrote bug reports.

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » September 6th, 2017, 11:43 am

I've noticed this too, it's pretty lame hopefully it won't be left broken for long as I understand some people lag and lose turns.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » September 6th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Oh… hi? :D

Yeah, I noticed several people on Warcraft Pets Discord asking the others whether they had experienced that. And these morning pre-reset Wailing Caverns were really annoying due to a time pressure. So I had a thought it's about time to make it louder and get some insight before making a full report.
Now I think I'd just ask an unfortunate tester for encountering Wailing Critters or Environeer Bert, if it was a real-time conversation.

Thanks for the tip! (and this is way too short in comparison to the entire post :oops:)

As you mentioned a historical account, I can recall a third tick of [ability]Quills[/ability]/[ability]Fire Quills[/ability] behaving like that, continued as far as in WoD (Quintessence of Light, no more no less).

And not exactly related, but since WoD the sound of [ability]Hiss[/ability] has been lagging. And in Legion alpha the [ability]decoy[/ability]-making noise was looped to eternity once started. MPD is always busy. :P

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Otudas
MVP
Pet Score:3742
Realm:Muradin-us

Post by Otudas » September 16th, 2017, 10:48 am

Thanks for the UI element tip, will try this next time. Is a very annoying bug.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 16th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Another unstick option is, if you play WoW in windowed mode, have a second window of any sort open and just switch to it during the battle (I usually browse the web, email, etc during pet battles). As long as WoW isn't the primary window the animations seem to work normally.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » September 16th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I read somewhere recently that hovering your mouse over the question-mark icon for Help in the UI clears it.

I've tried it several times, and it does. It's less disruptive than pulling up Achievements, so now my standard method.

My apologies to whoever posted it; I can't find that post to credit you.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » October 3rd, 2017, 6:29 am

Peanutty wrote:Another unstick option is, if you play WoW in windowed mode, have a second window of any sort open and just switch to it during the battle (I usually browse the web, email, etc during pet battles). As long as WoW isn't the primary window the animations seem to work normally.
This. I play with multiple monitors and all I need to do is click on my second monitor and watch the animations finalize. Easiest solution for me.

Threecrows
Pet Score:5735
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Threecrows » October 13th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I play Windowed mode (especially while pet levelling/grinding), and just re-sizing the window frame does the trick too.

Lookie
Pet Score:4989
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Lookie » October 13th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I promise this works 100% of the time:

Escape->System->Advanced->Max Foreground FPS Set it to ANY # other than 100 or check it off.

Lookie

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » October 13th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Lookie, my Max Foreground is already set to 60 FPS (Nobody's vision is that fast) and I am seeing the effect all the time since 7.3, as I was back in 5.4, when my Max FPS was Unlimited.