Budding Everling Spore Challenge - 12 rounds or less

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Q8e192
Pet Score:8729
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Q8e192 » August 15th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Budding Everling Spore Challenge - 12 rounds or less

Post by Gráinne » August 17th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Try beating 7 rounds. (Not including the trash, ofc.)

My original method for this battle would easily have done it in 12, but you inspired me to look a bit harder. :)

You can do this in 7 rounds reliably using quite a common pet - at least, I think it's pretty common. It's one of my favourite pets to use that most people don't.

I suppose crits from the BES might mess it up, but I didn't get any crits in my favour, so I call that reliable.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » August 17th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I agree. Obviously you can't put a number of rounds on the whole battle when the trash is random.

I took the challenge to mean the number of rounds to kill the BES.

I originally did it one way (with less than 12 rounds), then changed to Periwinkle just because it takes no thought, and Periwinkle usually solos the trash as well. My 7-round strat is for the BES only, not including the trash.

Q8e192

Post by Q8e192 » August 17th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Gráinne wrote:I agree. Obviously you can't put a number of rounds on the whole battle when the trash is random.

I took the challenge to mean the number of rounds to kill the BES.

I originally did it one way (with less than 12 rounds), then changed to Periwinkle just because it takes no thought, and Periwinkle usually solos the trash as well. My 7-round strat is for the BES only, not including the trash.
My bad, my 12 rounds did include the trash, and you are right about the random trash. FYI, BES can be solo'ed in 6 rounds. Anything under 6? Sometimes its harder to come up with a fair challenge than the soln ;) Grainine, why don't you come up with a pet battle challenge. I'd be up for trying to figure it out. Squirt might be back at the end of the month ...

Q8e192

Post by Q8e192 » August 17th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Would it be more fair to do challenges (in a min # of rounds with a carry) on tamers with a fixed team? If so, I guess, Draenor and Pandaria tamers would be good candidates.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » August 17th, 2017, 3:41 pm

6 rounds? hm. if it can reliably be done in 6, then I suspect the way the alternate rotation I was thinking of would do it. I could get a spreadsheet out, but I'll wait for next week.

As for making one myself, I will if I ever notice anything interesting. Jere is great at finding optimum strats, but I can't really find the interest. I've tried, and I'm always just like "meh, I can do it 13 rounds; why do I care about getting that down to 12?" I'm happy to see someone else trying, though. :)

P.S. and yes, I think challenges should use only fixed teams. It's not a matter of fairness; it's just not meaningful to include a number of rounds against random opponents.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » August 17th, 2017, 7:05 pm

P.S.
Q8e192 wrote:Sometimes its harder to come up with a fair challenge than the soln ;)
It's always harder to come up with a fair challenge than the solution! Crossword Puzzle, Sudoku, Chess puzzle, you name it - setting is harder than solving.

I really am glad to see you trying to quantify these. I look forward to more people trying them. It leads is to think more analytically about the battle.

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » August 23rd, 2017, 3:43 am

So, today i was able to do it in 12 rounds with Ikky and two H/H beasts in the backline.

Turn 1 Black Claw
Turn 2 Flock
Turn 3 Flock continues
Turn 4 Flock continues
Turn 5 Flock, Spore dies
Turn 6 Flock continues (ikky might die)
Turn 7 Flock continues (Ikky might die, if it is dead use Base attack)
Turn 8 Base attack, either by Ikky or the other pet. The first backline pet should die here no matter what.
4 rounds should be more than enough to kill the second pet, especially if Ikky survived until here.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » August 23rd, 2017, 3:44 am

So, today i was able to do it in 12 rounds with Ikky and two H/H beasts in the backline.

Turn 1 Black Claw
Turn 2 Flock
Turn 3 Flock continues
Turn 4 Flock continues
Turn 5 Flock, Spore dies
Turn 6 Flock continues (ikky might die)
Turn 7 Flock continues (Ikky might die, if it is dead use Base attack)
Turn 8 Base attack, either by Ikky or the other pet. The first backline pet should die here no matter what.
4 rounds should be more than enough to kill the second pet, especially if Ikky survived until here.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D