Haunt - Bugged?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ardour738
Pet Score:2961
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Haunt - Bugged?

Post by Ardour738 » December 26th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Recently I have been encountering a bug during PvP battles where my Undead pet (Wicked Soul/Unborn Valk) will use Haunt on a critter or Elemental, and if they die or use certain abilities such as going underground, my undead pet will die.

Has anyone encountered this or able to confirm/shed some light?

Update: It seems as if when a pet uses an avoidance ability such as cocoon strike/Puppies of the Flame/Burrow, your Undead pet will not respawn once the Haunt has completed its duration.

**EDIT** I'd like to clarify before people suggest its because my pet "misses". The haunt debuff is already applied to the target when this happens. E.G. I have successfully placed Haunt on the enemy pet but my pet is then failing to respawn once its complete **EDIT**

Thanks

Árdour Silvermoon-EU

Rabbia73
Pet Score:7074
Realm:Barthilas-us

Re: Haunt - Bugged?

Post by Rabbia73 » December 27th, 2016, 9:51 am

Never seen nor heard of this one, no.

What does the Combat Log say, when it happens?

Spinning
Top Rater
Pet Score:5763
Realm:Deathguard-eu

Post by Spinning » December 27th, 2016, 11:42 pm

I second that! That happened to my wicked soul during a fight with corgi, after I haunted, he used puppies of the flame and died burrowed (with several of his puppies remaining on the ground). My soul remained dead for the rest of the match.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » December 30th, 2016, 7:59 am

Doesn't even need to happen in a burrow or puppies move. Sometimes and not that often thankfully your pet doing haunt just doesn't Rez at the end of haunt. It has been a bug of that move forever and has happened to me a few times. Considering I have had the 5000 pvp pet wins for over 3 years and have leveled every pet to max and I have 860 unique pets and level pets all the time to sell to say it has only happened a few times shows it doesn't happen often but does and can nonetheless

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 30th, 2016, 9:49 am

I have heard of this, and saw it once in a PvP battle, though I don't remember whether it was an avoidance move. My Valk just didn't return.

I agree with Digem that it doesn't happen often. There are probably some specific conditions under which it does happen, but it's so rare that no-one has pinned them down.

Certainly it doesn't happen every time the haunted pet uses an avoidance move, or we'd all be seeing it all the time.

Rabbia73
Pet Score:7074
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Rabbia73 » January 3rd, 2017, 5:04 pm

Well yes I can now also confirm that this does happen. But the reason(s) for it aren't known it seems - a bug of some kind is best current guess. You can actually SEE this happen online. I was reviewing some early Discodoggy battles on YouTube, and in #9 (around the 4 minute mark) this happens to him with a Ghastly Kid - plenty of health but it fails to resurrect when it should have after a Haunt. He nearly loses to a team with a green pet as a result, which would have been rather funny. Disco goes over his log but can't see any reason why it occurred (and I couldn't either, reviewing it).

So there you go.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 4th, 2017, 7:34 am

Rabbia73 wrote:Well yes I can now also confirm that this does happen. But the reason(s) for it aren't known it seems - a bug of some kind is best current guess. You can actually SEE this happen online. I was reviewing some early Discodoggy battles on YouTube, and in #9 (around the 4 minute mark) this happens to him with a Ghastly Kid - plenty of health but it fails to resurrect when it should have after a Haunt. He nearly loses to a team with a green pet as a result, which would have been rather funny. Disco goes over his log but can't see any reason why it occurred (and I couldn't either, reviewing it).
Can you link that video please?
I personally have never seen that but im only shy of 30k pvp pet battles :D

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » January 4th, 2017, 8:39 am

https://youtu.be/FscKrzLSP1w?t=202

is the moment the Haunt goes down.

Drudatz
Top Rater

Stranger Things in Pet Battles.

Post by Drudatz » January 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm

So as we are talking about strange things happening in pet pvp
(typing this I feel like its a kind Asimov situation :))

My [pet]Magical Crawdad[/pet] [ability]Surge[/ability]s the enemy.
[pet]Magma Rageling[/pet] puts down a [ability]Magma Trap[/ability] and switches his [pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet].
My [pet]Magical Crawdad[/pet] wants to [ability]Surge[/ability] again.
*BOOM* The [ability]Magma Trap[/ability] goes off yet(!) my speed stays faster(!) than the
[pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet] (whos above 50% health) and even when switching to my
[pet]Anubis Idol[/pet] I am stil faster :D

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952

Post by Hawg » January 8th, 2017, 6:03 am

Three other bugs since we are discussing bugs:

First, if a tornado is present, and you place a target dummy, the tornado always hits your target dummy twice (making it fade).

Second - many of the dodge/fade abilities that say they allow you to block all attacks for one turn, actually allow you to dodge for two turns (the turn you use it, and the next turn).

Third - Howl still says it lasts for two attacks, but actually the buff is used the first time you attack.

Any others?

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 8th, 2017, 8:26 am

Hawg wrote:Three other bugs since we are discussing bugs:

First, if a tornado is present, and you place a target dummy, the tornado always hits your target dummy twice (making it fade).

Second - many of the dodge/fade abilities that say they allow you to block all attacks for one turn, actually allow you to dodge for two turns (the turn you use it, and the next turn).

Third - Howl still says it lasts for two attacks, but actually the buff is used the first time you attack.

Any others?
Those aren't bugs per say. They are intended

1. Decoy is meant to block 2 attacks targeted at your team (it is a field effect ability) and Tornado does up to 3 hits. Blocks always preempt misses. If a pet uses an ability with a 40% chance to hit vs a pet with a block up, the ability will always soak up the block (it never gets a chance to roll the "miss").

2. This is only true if you are faster and applies to all abilities like this: Stuns, dodges, debuffs, buffs, etc. It is a pet battle mechanic that applies to all abilities. Speed stats can fundamentally change how a battle plays out.

3. Howl's tooltip says it only applies to the initial (first) attack. It will last for two rounds if you don't attack anything. The wording could be better, but it is a weaker "debuff" version of prowl.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952

Post by Hawg » January 10th, 2017, 2:32 am

Thanks for the clarification. I do think they could improve those tooltip wordings because what you are saying is not apparent from those tooltips.

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » July 9th, 2017, 11:40 am

Now that I am some more pvp fights in only seen it happen with my Ghastly Kid, never with my UV?

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646

Post by Rosqo » July 9th, 2017, 12:43 pm

The bug for a haunt user to not respawn is caused by a second or third hit of a multi attack killing a pet whilst the haunt dot is up. I.e. Flurry hits a second time and kills the mob.
That's the definite way it bugs I have heard cyclone causing this but never experienced it so can't be sure