lava crab

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cheyrn
Pet Score:2080
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us
lava crab

Post by Cheyrn » May 21st, 2017, 9:27 pm

What makes it able to take no damage from Mr. Terrible? I just followed someone's method of beating Mr. Terrible etc. just with lava crab, shell shield magma wave and burn. Once the crab gets to 1, it takes no damage for the rest of the battle.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: lava crab

Post by Peanutty » May 21st, 2017, 10:46 pm

Cheyrn wrote:What makes it able to take no damage from Mr. Terrible? I just followed someone's method of beating Mr. Terrible etc. just with lava crab, shell shield magma wave and burn. Once the crab gets to 1, it takes no damage for the rest of the battle.
I assume it mostly has to do with Mr. Terrible using Weakening Blow which can't reduce your health below 1, and the shell shield absorbing any other incoming damage.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 22nd, 2017, 12:45 am

Yes, Shell Shield is wonderful against weak attacks.

As a sidelight, Aranesh discovered that you can solo Aki in Pandaria with a Lava Crab, similarly using Shell Shield to survive indefinitely:
https://wow-petguide.com/index.php?Strategy=37

I tested it. Once. :) It takes a looooong time for Magma Wave to kill them all.

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » May 22nd, 2017, 6:23 am

Not related to Lava Crab itself, but rather, Mr. Terrible's own ability setup.

Its Weakening Blow deals damage, but can't drop a pet's health below 1 HP. As a result, no matter how many times he attacks you, the only thing that will ever kill you is the damage reflected with Spiked Skin.

So, as long as you got any kind of shield (on any kind of pet) that is stronger than his Spiked Skin, he'll never defeat your pet. This, coupled with AoE attacks, allows any shielded pet to clear the whole team, which is why Lava Crab is interesting for the task.
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!