Best Legion pets?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Danzibr
Pet Score:3084
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Best Legion pets?

Post by Danzibr » May 12th, 2017, 9:38 am

Hi all! First post here. Seems like a great site, great forum :)

Question. I've been using this site and Xu-Fu's site and WoWHead to build teams to pet battle, and almost all of the suggested pets are pre-Legion. Most are pre-WoD for that matter. For example, if you look at the top 20 rated pets on this site, I don't think there's a single one after MoP. Oh wait, I guess Iron Starlette is WoD. Anyway, there are some cool Legion pets, or at least superficially.

I'm not yet experienced enough to know what's good (you can see my collection... I'm getting there!). So my question is this: any must-have Legion pets?

Thanks!

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Re: Best Legion pets?

Post by Aranesh » May 12th, 2017, 10:19 am

An excellent question indeed. I also resort way too often to the good old proven pets - which is probably the main reason they are so predominant, they are simply good and proven - although there are sometimes good alternatives in newer pets, and sometimes even way easier to acquire.
Two that come to mind for me are the Stormborne Whelpling and Broot.

Of course, they are just "copies" of old, well established pets. I think, what would be needed to really embrace newer pets, is if they would introduce new mechanics not found in older pets, in parallel with new challenges (tamers, dungeons, whatever) which are best beatable when using these exact new mechanics.

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » May 12th, 2017, 10:20 am

Hi Danzibr,

It's worth noting that with most of the guides they try to use pets that are already required in other battles. This means that a lot of strategies will use older pets as they are the historical 'guide pets'.

Some pets that have been added since legion that might be useful for you collection are: wicked soul, dream whelpling, rose taipan, shimmering aquafly and blightbreath.

A lot of the new pets are reskinned versions of older ones so unless they have really unique move sets like the coastal sandpiper they don't really add anything extra.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 12th, 2017, 10:35 am

Several Legion pets are just copies of previous pets or have slight differences.
Saying that, because of their appearance in the expansion, they may seem more easily available than the "classic" ones.

Among these, I'd tell that there are an H/P* [pet]Mudshell Conch[/pet], P/P [pet]Dream Whelpling[/pet], [pet]Stormborne Whelpling[/pet], [pet]Benax[/pet] and S/S [pet]Rose Taipan[/pet]. Stormborne is actually pretty unique in its own way, just the speed is a bit out of nowhere.

On the other hand, some pets provide something that there has been a lack or scarcity for quite a long. See [pet]Magma Rageling[/pet], S/S [pet]Wicked Soul[/pet] or H/P [pet]Blightbreath[/pet] for that, aswell as a novelty of [pet]Paradox Spirit [/pet] and [pet]Infinite Hatchling[/pet].
Bonus points for [pet]Bleakwater Jelly[/pet] and cousins for being the first aquatic pets that make a party on their own instead of being stalemates, pumpmasters or beast/critter wannabes. :mrgreen:

There are also pets that may not be *the* best, but due to their exotic movesets they prove worthy during Family Familiar progression. These are absolutely subjective and off the top but there belong [pet]Dreadmaw[/pet], [pet]Ash'ana[/pet] or [pet]Risen Saber Kitten[/pet].

EDIT: Thanks to @Aranesh for mentioning [pet]Broot[/pet]! Though still not as easy to get when the RNG's grasp is tight. :P

Also, the falcosaurs. Because [ability]Falcosaur Swarm[/ability]! is OP. And they provide mounts [url=http://www.wowhead.com/falcosaur-guide]if you follow them[/url] for two weeks. :)

* [url=https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/]Wʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ᴛʜᴇsᴇ "H/P" ᴇᴛᴄ. ᴍᴇᴀɴ?[/url]

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Danzibr
Pet Score:3084
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Danzibr » May 12th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Incredibly helpful, thanks all!

I'm looking to go Family Familiar at some point. I'd like to try my hand at it without a guide, and I was looking to diversify my pet collection a bit. You've given valuable feedback :)

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » May 14th, 2017, 2:14 am

I really like the falcasaurs. They were worth the trouble to get and do all the quests for the mounts too.

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » May 15th, 2017, 2:39 am

The [pet]Nightmare Whelping[/pet] is the perfect counter to the Teroclaw hatchling. It definitely deserves a mention. The [pet]Nightmare Treant[/pet] and [pet]Nightmare Lasher[/pet] have similar spell sets and are great for countering healing teams

[pet]Grumpy[/pet] is incredibly easy to get and you can combine [ability]Howl[/ability] + [ability]Superbark[/ability] on him to make capturing new pets a breeze. [pet]Scraps[/pet] and [pet]Corgnelius[/pet] also have Superbark (but not Howl), they're just not as easy to obtain.

I like to use 2x [pet]Boneshard[/pet] (each with 3x BONESTORM) on the Dazed and Confused World quest (baby murlocs) just because I can. I think it's very funny. The two of them don't quite finish off the third Murloc, so I usually use a 21+ pet in the third slot.

[pet]Stardust[/pet] requires some effort to get, but [ability]Celestial Blessing[/ability] is very useful in pvp, and it's often paired with the previously mentioned S/S Wicked Soul.

The [pet]Enchanted Pen[/pet] is a very interesting pet and can be useful in PvP battles.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Tristful
Pet Score:13112
BattleTag®:Amadia#11407
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Tristful » May 19th, 2017, 8:51 am

I'm not a serious pet battler --- I really only do the bare minimum to get the achievements. I've completed Family Familiar for example. These pets are Legion only and are ones I keep coming back to, either because of their unique moveset or overall strength:

All 4 falcosaur pets. The one with rip is so useful for Grixis, and the one with the magic shield is nice for several battles. I combo these with Zandalari raptors and it's deadly to almost every trainer.

Coastal Sandpiper --- only flier with Sandstorm

Autumnal Sproutling --- sons of the root + nature's ward is strong

Runeforged Servitor --- used it in several battles for mech family, unique STRONG moveset

Snowfang --- I personally don't use her because I haven't leveled my shaman, but my bestie uses her in almost every battle.

Winter Rageling --- elemental with humanoid ability

Young Mutant Warturtle --- aquatic with humanoid ability, super strong

Zoom --- critter with humanoid ability

Boneshard --- my new favorite pet for Squirt battles.