Ok is it me or did they nerf PWS

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us
Ok is it me or did they nerf PWS

Post by Abbotta » May 2nd, 2017, 10:58 pm

I loved that lil guy who could wipe out anything pretty much on his own.

I've been offline for over a year and I missed WoW. Pets are my favorite part and I decided to return. Did a celestial tournament (still need 2 of the pets there) and I discovered the horrors - Geyser and Whirlpool are on the same skill button now.

Say it isn't so!!

*** weeps *** for the ruination of her beloved [pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]

Neolarva
Top Rater
Pet Score:13728
Realm:Les Sentinelles-eu

Re: Ok is it me or did they nerf PWS

Post by Neolarva » May 2nd, 2017, 11:58 pm

[pet]chrominius[/pet] got nerf too, howl only works for one hit (no more combo with howl). The howl change made a lot of pet useless (like the worg / fox...etc)

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » May 3rd, 2017, 3:28 am

I remember some blue posts about Blizz not liking that the "howl-bomb" strategy was being seen as a go-to strat so they made those changes. :(

I really do feel for people still working on the Celestial Tournament (my BF is one of them) as howl-bomb was so good there. :(
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 3rd, 2017, 6:54 am

Welcome back!

Sorry about the bad news. It made us all sad at the time. The devs did have a point, though. When I looked up the guides, I was shocked at how dominant Howlbomb was in almost everything. It needed a nerf. I still grieve for Howl->Flurry->Flurry though.

If you're looking for new strats to replace some of the old one, https://www.wow-petguide.com has the best current collection.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » May 3rd, 2017, 8:59 am

Mehetabel wrote:I remember some blue posts about Blizz not liking that the "howl-bomb" strategy was being seen as a go-to strat so they made those changes. :(

I really do feel for people still working on the Celestial Tournament (my BF is one of them) as howl-bomb was so good there. :(
I still managed to do a celestial last night. I found a great site that had like 10 pet strategies for each Celestial. Only issue I had was Yao but managed to pull that one off.

I still need to do 5 more celestials so I can get Yao and Chi-Chi. So I'm sticking around long enough to finish those and get that dang [pet]Qiraji Guardling[/pet] for zookeeper.

Plus I need to figure out how to get into Tanaan Jungle and the new region. I might use my 100 boost to join an Alliance guild somewhere.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » May 3rd, 2017, 9:07 am

Gráinne wrote:Welcome back!

Sorry about the bad news. It made us all sad at the time. The devs did have a point, though. When I looked up the guides, I was shocked at how dominant Howlbomb was in almost everything. It needed a nerf. I still grieve for Howl->Flurry->Flurry though.

If you're looking for new strats to replace some of the old one, https://www.wow-petguide.com has the best current collection.

Honestly PWS and Chrominius was like ketchup - you could use it for anything to make it work. And for lazy pet collectors, that duo worked for just about every major pet battle. I know in the beginning I'd try all these different strategies but in the end I was lazy and went for the PWS/Chromy combo.

I did manage a Celestial last night without using PWS, the Idol or unborn Valk plus Chrommy was dead first round. I found all sorts of pets I didn't realize worked well with Celestials.

BTW I think it was your guide that saved my Celestials last night! I was using some of the usual sites and it was difficult to find teams that were up-to-date (folks still had the old PWS/Chrommy pairing - ugh) or used new pets I just got and hadn't leveled. By the time I got to Zao (next to last), I really thought I was a goner. I knew I could solo Yu'la with Mr Bigglesworth (is there any other way?) but I had run out of all the regular pets for Zao and that guy was kicking my butt!! It was option #3 with the Jade Hatchling/Anklerender/Tonk that saved the day!

Mirith
Pet Score:11678
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Mirith » May 3rd, 2017, 4:10 pm

Xufu's guides are also pretty good for doing the Celestial Tourney, though then you need the pets recommended. I've gotten all of the pets from the tourney since after they did the nerf.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » May 5th, 2017, 7:51 am

Hi,

I did not like the nerf's, but honestly, they did not affect things that badly, except that you had to pay attention a bit more, and be prepared and DEFEND some to ensure you did not take the big hit.

Some fights were ridiculously easy and stupid, and I really did not mind these, at all.

The only concern I have is that the newer pets from some of the Battlemasters, have doubled the abilities and resistances, and it makes for a tougher fight ... and sometimes, you have to be smarter than the pet you are fighting ... like do not give that Pet a chance to heal ... nail it, kind of thing before it gives itself a 1K heal ... and some of those numbers are a bit on the exaggerated side, but we do have better ways to play it, and thus, I do not really mind as long as I can take the Pet down.

The only other concern of mine in this area, is not the nerf's but the fact that each and every one of these mobs, specially in Legion, has what appears to be at least twice the ability to have Critical Strikes than you do ... and all this means is that you have to make sure you do not take that full bomb, that the big mouth does not bite, and that the bombs do less than half the damage ... and in general, you will be fine ... you might have to tweak the fight some with a different pet for this or that ...but all the fights, so far, are very do'able, despite some very obvious adjustments by some pets ... as an example, in one fight I took down the mob with 2 bonestorm casts, and the next time, one was resisted and the other was half'd, and the 2 bonestorm casts don't work anymore ... and these adjustments are way more scary ... than the slight nerf's that we got ... meaning that they want to take down our strategies ... and making it look like they are merely balancing their work.