Remove unwanted pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Cheyrn
Pet Score:2080
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us
Remove unwanted pets

Post by Cheyrn » April 30th, 2017, 2:20 am

Is there a way to abandon pets that don't have release or cage option?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Remove unwanted pets

Post by Gráinne » April 30th, 2017, 11:16 am

No. Why would you need to do that? The only permanent pets are from achievements and the shop, as far as I know, and you can't have more than one of each, so they shouldn't be a problem?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 30th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Actually, I'll take a shot at this...

I had the same problem trying to remove a Guild Page and Herald from my account, as they can't be caged or released. They're quirky pets in that you can only have 3 on your account, but they're bound to the character that bought them. And I had bought both pets on 2 different horde toons and both were showing up in my journal but I could only summon one, and it was driving. me. nuts. I do not want duplicates!

The only fix in that situation was to delete one toon, which then deleted that toon's pets from the journal. A little hardcore but I feel better for it.

So not sure if OP is in that sort of situation, but there's a super roundabout fix for something like that.

Cheyrn

Post by Cheyrn » April 30th, 2017, 4:17 pm

That would certainly be more annoying than what I have. I just don't like going to the end of the list and then page up over pets I'm never going to use to find the lowest level pets that I have. So, like, Mr. Chilly and Baby blizzard bear... I like cuteness and sickeningly sweet cuteness, but for some reason I doubt I would ever summon Baby blizzard bear.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » April 30th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Cheyrn wrote:That would certainly be more annoying than what I have. I just don't like going to the end of the list and then page up over pets I'm never going to use to find the lowest level pets that I have. So, like, Mr. Chilly and Baby blizzard bear... I like cuteness and sickeningly sweet cuteness, but for some reason I doubt I would ever summon Baby blizzard bear.
Oh, yes, totally different situation then! I would seriously cry if you found a way to dump your baby Blizzard bear though (I don't have it).

Yeah, can't dump a number of pets that are tied to achievements (such as anniversary) or store purchases once the code's been redeemed. Most likely it's baked in protection to protect players from accidentally getting rid of pets that can't be reacquired.

Minet
Top Rater
Pet Score:9371
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Minet » April 30th, 2017, 5:12 pm

If you use Rematch to view your pet collection, you can select those pets you never want to see and click on "hide". They will not show up in any lists, then, nor in any searches. It's not the same as deleting them, but at least you would not have to be continually scrolling over them.

Cheyrn

Post by Cheyrn » May 1st, 2017, 11:01 pm

Thanks for the rematch idea.

So, I have effectively shamed myself into summoning those pets I said were unwanted...

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » May 2nd, 2017, 7:36 am

Can I have your baby blizzard bear? I wish these things were tradeable.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 2nd, 2017, 7:16 pm

Peanutty wrote:Actually, I'll take a shot at this...

I had the same problem trying to remove a Guild Page and Herald from my account, as they can't be caged or released. They're quirky pets in that you can only have 3 on your account, but they're bound to the character that bought them. And I had bought both pets on 2 different horde toons and both were showing up in my journal but I could only summon one, and it was driving. me. nuts. I do not want duplicates!

The only fix in that situation was to delete one toon, which then deleted that toon's pets from the journal. A little hardcore but I feel better for it.

So not sure if OP is in that sort of situation, but there's a super roundabout fix for something like that.
Just an FYI... doing what you did does not remove the pets from your pet journal. It just hides them. The guild page and herald are not truly character specific (the way mounts are). You have an account wide limit of 3 for each of those pets. I was in the same situation with two characters who had both guild page and herald and I deleted one of them... only to have the extras show up on the other character who had those pets. I was then able to abandon those pets, however.

As a side note: I think it is really stupid how Blizzard handled the guild page and herald.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 2nd, 2017, 8:33 pm

Maizing wrote:Just an FYI... doing what you did does not remove the pets from your pet journal. It just hides them. The guild page and herald are not truly character specific (the way mounts are). You have an account wide limit of 3 for each of those pets. I was in the same situation with two characters who had both guild page and herald and I deleted one of them... only to have the extras show up on the other character who had those pets. I was then able to abandon those pets, however.
Verrry interesting... I guess for my OCD, as long as I can't see it, it's not an issue. ;)

I really feel like this shouldn't have been a pet at all, but it is what it is.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » May 3rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

Peanutty wrote:Actually, I'll take a shot at this...

Wait - you have no duplicate pets? I found some pets to be very useful as duplicates mostly based on breeds and how often I'd might want to use that pet in the Celestial. I have 3 different breeds of Nexus Whelpling depending on if I want speed vs. power. I have found that Rapana Whelk was one of my main go-to pets in celestials so I have 2 H/B of those in my inventory (Lawrence Whelk and Larry Whelk Jr - you folks older than dirt like me will know where the name came from). I even have a second Unborn Val'kyr just because I felt so damn lucky to find 2 of them in my WoW lifetime that I couldn't toss away one.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 3rd, 2017, 7:10 pm

Abbotta wrote:Wait - you have no duplicate pets? I found some pets to be very useful as duplicates mostly based on breeds and how often I'd might want to use that pet in the Celestial. I have 3 different breeds of Nexus Whelpling depending on if I want speed vs. power. I have found that Rapana Whelk was one of my main go-to pets in celestials so I have 2 H/B of those in my inventory (Lawrence Whelk and Larry Whelk Jr - you folks older than dirt like me will know where the name came from). I even have a second Unborn Val'kyr just because I felt so damn lucky to find 2 of them in my WoW lifetime that I couldn't toss away one.
I'm not that rare - there's a number of people on here who do not keep duplicate pets. I just like having a very tight, tidy collection*. It really does force you to be picky about breeds, and I enjoy that extra challenge. And while having duplicates of certain pets is useful, there is thankfully zero content that requires duplicates.

* (To be super technical, I do have duplicates - currently my collection shows 22 duplicate pets. As I collect unique skins, both colors and sizes, that requires (by my count), 18 duplicate pets to cover. 2 duplicates are the hidden Guild Herald and Page that I'd "removed" by deleting a toon. 1 is a pet for sale that I forgot to box up (oops!) before uploading my collection last time. Only 1 is a true duplicate, a Sister of Temptation, which I kept because I had 2 names for her and couldn't decide between them, so by having 2 I could use both names. :oops:)

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » May 4th, 2017, 10:29 am

Peanutty wrote:I'm not that rare - there's a number of people on here who do not keep duplicate pets.
Indeed there are. I've never had even the slightest interest in breeds or colour variations so I have literally TWO duplicates, a Pandaren Water Spirit and a Chrominius, left over from the old "howl bomb" days of the Celestial Tournament.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » May 8th, 2017, 10:40 am

I can see some duplicate pets getting annoying, like the guild herald, page, etc., but I can't see any other pets really bothering me if I had multiples of them. I have a bunch of duplicate pets, mainly for pet battles. And sure enough, they come in handy when I do the challenge mode pet dungeons and trainers. I have 3 Emerald Proto-Whelps, 3 Emperor Crabs, 3 Iron Starlets, 2 Anubisath Idols, etc., the list goes on. 129 duplicates at level 25. Any time I run into a situation where I could have used 2 of the same pet I'll grab another, and level it to 25.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Waynebrady wrote:I can see some duplicate pets getting annoying, like the guild herald, page, etc., but I can't see any other pets really bothering me if I had multiples of them.
You're lucky. For me, when I get into collecting things, I get really nitpicky and form this idea of what "perfection" should look like with my collection, and it drives me nuts to deviate from that. It's hard to explain how that feels to someone who doesn't have the same tendencies...

It's probably the same reason I hoard rarity and leveling stones - not only do I worry that I'll need them "later" and I like opening my pet bank toon's bags and seeing this wall of blue and yellow stones, all arranged by type and alphabetical order. ;)