Only help those that need it.

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us
Only help those that need it.

Post by Jazeel » April 20th, 2017, 10:54 pm

For the last few years i have been levelling other folks pets, No biggie as it works in with what I do. yesterday i realised someone who i have been helping, plays from work, as they are the boss, I work a 40 hour week, do about 4 hours unpaid overtime every week, and like most collectors am chasing every pet i can, but i do that outside of work. To realise i was helping someone who would probably sack an employee for gaming while they sat in their office doing just the same really pissed me off. Made me feel like i was working for free for someone who does not deserve the help, I am happy to trade pets with other collectors, or even gift them, but damned if i will waste my time helping someone who has more free time than me ever again. Sorry for ranting as this community is awesome, but there are freeloading bastards everywhere. Be Cool Be Safe and good luck collecting.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Only help those that need it.

Post by Gráinne » April 21st, 2017, 1:56 am

Good advice.

I'll provide information to those who need it, if I have it, or can figure it out. I'll spend some time with them showing them how to do for themselves. But I rarely give things in the game, because things given are often not valued, often not needed, and often just feed bad habits. And, let's face it, nobody really needs anything in WoW.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » April 21st, 2017, 8:12 am

Gráinne wrote:Good advice.

I'll provide information to those who need it, if I have it, or can figure it out. I'll spend some time with them showing them how to do for themselves. But I rarely give things in the game, because things given are often not valued, often not needed, and often just feed bad habits. And, let's face it, nobody really needs anything in WoW.
I need a cup of coffee. At almost 67, tired from tax season (Mom is hardcore corporate CPA), left me exhausted and this is the rest week ... I've done nothing and more nothing, and can't even open my mouth to yawn ... just fall asleep!

I need help!

:P

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » April 21st, 2017, 10:42 am

I haven't leveled pets for anyone but I have certainly given away my far share of pets. Gifting something to someone ingame is just that. A gift. I gave a very expensive pet to someone and saw it on the AH the next day. Maybe they needed the gold more than the pet.

It's hard to deal with having someone taking advantage of you ingame and/or real life. Somebody used your goodwill in a really shabby way. Try to think about all the other pet battlers you have helped that are grateful for your help and will always remember your kindness.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » April 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm

I used to help a gal getting some pets, including yearly ones such as Hallow's End kittens. It turned out her boyfriend had access to that account too, and when they broke up with each other… well, she was the one who had to create a new one. >.< She doesn't even play these days.

People, not all rules are silly inconveniences!

---

However, can I share something… sort of incorrect?
*/me wishes there was a spoiler tag*
Each time you go to work (or at least, for the first months of it), you sacrifice most of your active time and are supposed to do your best for someone who perhaps isn't your friend.
(It's supposed to sound paranoid but with no real implications… usually not.)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » April 23rd, 2017, 9:08 am

Jazeel wrote:For the last few years i have been levelling other folks pets, No biggie as it works in with what I do. yesterday i realised someone who i have been helping, plays from work, as they are the boss, I work a 40 hour week, do about 4 hours unpaid overtime every week, and like most collectors am chasing every pet i can, but i do that outside of work. To realise i was helping someone who would probably sack an employee for gaming while they sat in their office doing just the same really pissed me off. Made me feel like i was working for free for someone who does not deserve the help, I am happy to trade pets with other collectors, or even gift them, but damned if i will waste my time helping someone who has more free time than me ever again. Sorry for ranting as this community is awesome, but there are freeloading bastards everywhere. Be Cool Be Safe and good luck collecting.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here as I'm self-employed and play a lot during my "working hours" so can maybe see that guys' point of view. Did this guy purposely mislead you into thinking he didn't have much time to play/level pets? It might be that he just truly dislikes the leveling (don't we all)? Personally, unless he specifically lied to you in order to manipulate you to level his pets, I don't really think he did anything wrong. If someone offered to level up some of my pets for me I'd certainly agree to it, even though I do have a lot of time to play.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » April 25th, 2017, 7:39 am

I don't mind leveling pets... or gifting pets to those that are kind and respectful. I don't level them very quickly... usually 3-5 a week. Most of the pets I gift are generally lower value or an extra through a drop. In game currency is not a primary goal of mine as there is nothing I really want in game.

I have been on the receiving end of help and have always tried to pay it forward in the community. I joined Pet Peeves a couple years ago and would take a pet or two out of the bank each week to level them and put back. I felt that small contribution might be appreciated. I have sold higher end pets in trade and thrown a couple of extra pets in the window just to help them out.

It's a game. I don't take the game too seriously therefore I don't feel a need to pull ahead of the rat race. I play to unwind and if a couple hundred gold might brighten someone's day and help them on the road for collecting then I feel like I came out ahead in the deal. However, I will generally ignore anyone who comes around begging. That is one thing I just don't abide.