Class Hall Pet changes are great!!!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Class Hall Pet changes are great!!!

Post by Badpathing » February 23rd, 2017, 2:08 pm

With all the negativity around this change, I thought I'd make a post expressing the perspective of a player who is happy about it!

After all, the counter arguments like to use terms like "most" and "all" when describing player habits, let's help them out by showing the other side of that argument to bring some rational thinking into play.

So here I am, a player who loves the change. I know it requires a lot of work, and that I will play classes different than my 'main', and that the pets are not currently set to be trade-able. But I am a player who loves alts! I also play quite a bit and am usually fairly efficient with my time. I look forward to adding these hard-to-get pets to my collection and am quite happy that pet collecting seems to be expanding in a competitive sense.

Good work Devs!

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Re: Class Hall Pet changes are great!!!

Post by Killerkarl » February 23rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

I will tentatively agree with you, as long as there isn't a time limit put on the ability to acquire these Class Hall Pets.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 23rd, 2017, 2:35 pm

Killerkarl wrote:I will tentatively agree with you, as long as there isn't a time limit put on the ability to acquire these Class Hall Pets.
I agree with that. I think giving people time to do them at their own pace is a reasonable request.

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Noel » February 23rd, 2017, 2:39 pm

I wonder if there's going to be a wierd side effect ie every pet collector changes his main to a DK...

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 23rd, 2017, 2:43 pm

Noel wrote:I wonder if there's going to be a wierd side effect ie every pet collector changes his main to a DK...
I would assume no, and not specifically DK because there are multiple class hall related pets being rolled out. I also assume that eventually every class hall will have a pet or two.

Having said that, I'm sure some people playing different classes than their main might, find it enjoyable and begin playing the new class. I think this is healthy and part of the intent of the devs. The intent being to introduce players to different elements of the game, and to broaden pet collecting into those areas as well.

It's a win-win in my opinion.

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Noel » February 23rd, 2017, 2:54 pm

Just to note where I'm coming from, my main is just about 35 points into his artifact...and I play him every day. I don't raid and rarely do dungeons (only for quests). To get a DK maxed on 3 weapons I literally need to drop my main and switch to a DK for the rest of the expansion. I'm of course going to do it because I'm OCD...but I might not like it.

Who knows maybe I was meant to main a DK?

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 23rd, 2017, 3:03 pm

Noel wrote:Just to note where I'm coming from, my main is just about 35 points into his artifact...and I play him every day. I don't raid and rarely do dungeons (only for quests). To get a DK maxed on 3 weapons I literally need to drop my main and switch to a DK for the rest of the expansion. I'm of course going to do it because I'm OCD...but I might not like it.

Who knows maybe I was meant to main a DK?
Maybe!

Maybe you find out you love it! That is what I like, variation. I agree with the post above, that there should not be time restrictions on something like this.

But tbh, if there was a time restriction..I'd probably like it. The thing is, I try very hard to view things from a somewhat global perspective instead of from my own personal view. Meaning, I see things that I perceive as a positive net benefit to be good additions. I think exclusivity is good, but I prefer it to be non-time gated in general as I know it will fit into more play-styles than not.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896

Post by Quintessence » February 23rd, 2017, 8:04 pm

From a very personal, single-minded point of view, I don't mind these class pets. I've already started working on leveling a Monk and Rogue, and pushing my DK to reach level 35 on all her weapons.

I'm definitely looking forward to collecting the Rogue pet, Crackers. That interaction is too awesome to pass up. I plan on collecting Crackers first so it can accompany my alts while I grind through activities. :lol:

I can only wonder if the DK and Monk pets will have an interesting animation or interaction, or if they will end up just being reskins.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 24th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Quintessence wrote:From a very personal, single-minded point of view, I don't mind these class pets. I've already started working on leveling a Monk and Rogue, and pushing my DK to reach level 35 on all her weapons.

I'm definitely looking forward to collecting the Rogue pet, Crackers. That interaction is too awesome to pass up. I plan on collecting Crackers first so it can accompany my alts while I grind through activities. :lol:

I can only wonder if the DK and Monk pets will have an interesting animation or interaction, or if they will end up just being reskins.
My DK is well on her way as well as my rogue. Monk is next.

TBH, I'm really enjoying the class hall experience on the different classes. The AP grind isn't bad at all if you just wait till you hit AK 25 and then spam some LFR. As I posted in another thread, I actually did all of the LFR wings on my fresh SV weapon (level 0) and leveled it all the way to 30. So, it took me a little over 2 hours to do that.

I realize it ramps up but I keep in mind a couple of things.

1. It's only 5 (maybe 4 if the achievement for 'unlocking all traits' is an accurate indicator) more levels.
2. I don't have to grind it like a madman; I just take it easy and play what sounds fun on a given evening.

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » February 24th, 2017, 11:51 pm

I respectfully totally and completely disagree. Leveling a DK or Monk or Warlock for the experience is one thing but equipping all weapons is beyond the pale.
WOD gave me the opportunity to experiment with different classes and races. I have quite a few 100 level characters on several realms both Alliance and Horde. I am simply not impressed with Blizzard's requirements for these pets.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 25th, 2017, 12:20 am

After considering this thread and the other(s) similar to it, I'm going to lock this one as it's likely it will turn into the same debate.

This thread was created with good intentions, but this it serves little purpose if it just echos the feedback/opinions on a topic that is already being discussed in another thread.

It's fine to be in support of these new pets, and it's fine to oppose that support, but let's try and consolidate the conversation into one thread. Thanks!

---------------

Edit: Unlocking this thread for now.

Please keep in mind the OP - this thread is for sharing positive thoughts on the 7.2 class pets. Feedback, discussion and criticisms on this topic can be found in this thread: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =2&t=16713

This thread will be locked again if it veers off-topic and turns into a second debate thread.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » February 27th, 2017, 9:58 am

I asked Quintessence to unlock this thread because I regret my earlier post. I'm still pondering whether I am going to create a DK and level my Monk past 100. Having said that, most likely these class hall pets will not be taken out of the game so it is possible to collect them at a leisurely pace.
They are certainly challenges and if I can complete the long, long Argent Tournament surely I can do these achievements, too.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » February 27th, 2017, 10:09 am

Minivivi wrote:I asked Quintessence to unlock this thread because I regret my earlier post. I'm still pondering whether I am going to create a DK and level my Monk past 100. Having said that, most likely these class hall pets will not be taken out of the game so it is possible to collect them at a leisurely pace.
They are certainly challenges and if I can complete the long, long Argent Tournament surely I can do these achievements, too.

I truely hope that is the case and we can go back to this later whenever one feels like it or has time same for the pvp pets.
My only concern is the weapon is more like the legendary cloak and ring and we can't do those anymore. Add in they like making pvp into seasons and those might not be possible either.
If we can go back later than this really isn't a big deal it is more like an achievement or faction grind and while annoying still plenty doable.
Here's to hoping blizz sees the big picture here

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » February 27th, 2017, 10:23 am

I can't decide whether to level my monk or my DK first! The DK pet is going to take longer to get so DK really should be leveled first . . . BUT I like the monk playstyle more and LOVE the monk pet MUCH more.

Decisions decisions. :roll:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » February 27th, 2017, 11:46 am

Mehetabel wrote:I can't decide whether to level my monk or my DK first! The DK pet is going to take longer to get so DK really should be leveled first . . . BUT I like the monk playstyle more and LOVE the monk pet MUCH more.

Do what you like or prefer first as that will breeze by and maybe the pet from the monk class hall will put you to in a good enough mood that even doing the dk ones won't seem so bad

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 27th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Mehetabel wrote:I can't decide whether to level my monk or my DK first! The DK pet is going to take longer to get so DK really should be leveled first . . . BUT I like the monk playstyle more and LOVE the monk pet MUCH more.

If it helps make up your mind, Monks get a daily 50% experience boost from quests+mobs buff (lasts for 2 hours and can roll-over to the next day). I think you can get this buff from 1 to 90? or is it 100? It makes leveling go relatively quicker.

Then again, DKs start at level 55, so that's already half way through the entire leveling process. :lol:

Personally, I'd go with Monk since Ban-fu is so adorable!

Mirith
Pet Score:11678
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Mirith » February 27th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Quintessence wrote:

If it helps make up your mind, Monks get a daily 50% experience boost from quests+mobs buff (lasts for 2 hours and can roll-over to the next day). I think you can get this buff from 1 to 90? or is it 100? It makes leveling go relatively quicker.

Then again, DKs start at level 55, so that's already half way through the entire leveling process. :lol:

Personally, I'd go with Monk since Ban-fu is so adorable!
55 is not "half" the leveling process. Vanilla and each expac are about equal in terms of time sink. So it is saving you about 1/6 of the time? And its the most interesting 1/6 at this point, since you can vary it up a lot more than leveling through a lot of the later stuff.

Also, Monks are more fun, and Ban-Fu is much better than the whelplings.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 27th, 2017, 4:04 pm

In my opinion, the best strategy at this point (and the one I am employing) is to simply get those classes rolled, level them up and get the class order hall campaign, etc out of the way. I'm not going to be aggressive about the leveling, or the campaigning, or really any step of the process.

So, only level an alt when he/she has rested XP. Do some dungeon runs on them while questing (as dungeons are actually quite rewarding in both gear and XP), and upon hitting 110 use the book to hit AK 20 and get the research rolling.

I am being very cautious not to do things that feel like work on those alts. When it feels that way, try something else; play another alt, or just play your main. I know this sounds obvious, but one of things I had to learn years ago in WoW is that the temptation to do ALL the things the minute they become available will pass. After it passes, most often the activity is even easier.

Blues have verified that the 'carrots' aren't going to disappear with future content, so take your time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the grinds requiring artifact trait completion aren't that bad if you think about the numbers. Currently @ AK25, you can take a weapon from 0-30 with one week of LFR. I did exactly that on an alt in a single evening. Now, I know that not everyone wants to do LFR, much less every wing in an evening, but you can at least see that there are readily available ways to 'grind' out that artifact level fairly quickly. And before someone points out for the 100th time that the levels are increasing, keep in mind that the AK is as well, and that the grind to unlocking all traits is most likely going to be similar.

The most important thing being, don't let yourself feel like it has to be done quickly. It's a marathon, not a sprint. And honestly, it's pretty amazing to me as a collector that there is so MUCH content in game now and coming, that will keep me busy and exploring all facets of the game.

Having said that, make the prestige pets a 1 time grind blizz. Seriously.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 27th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Badpathing wrote:Having said that, make the prestige pets a 1 time grind blizz. Seriously.
So grinding 3 dks weapons to full is okay for you (not to mention the 30k order hall ressources) but grinding a bit prestige is to much for you while its the same bad? ^^

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Drudatz wrote:
Badpathing wrote:Having said that, make the prestige pets a 1 time grind blizz. Seriously.
So grinding 3 dks weapons to full is okay for you (not to mention the 30k order hall ressources) but grinding a bit prestige is to much for you while its the same bad? ^^
Yes it is! As I have pointed out in my post, and in many others, the grind for the weapons is insignificant compared to the effort it takes to grind out prestige levels. Even if you try to downplay by referring to it as a 'bit of prestige'.

For the three-DK-grind I get 3 pets, and I get to play 3 different specs. I also get to enjoy those pets on the faction I play.

For the prestige pet, if we ignore that the grind is substantial, that it requires pvp (sort of) and that it requires us as players to cross faction, we still are faced with the fact that the pet is the same (basically) and that you cannot even use it on your faction of choice.

I feel that it's a very clear distinction.

Regardless, I'll still do it and feel satisfaction for having the pet if they don't change it. It will just take me a long time and I'm OK with that personally.