Any honor grinding tips for people who hate PVP?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us
Any honor grinding tips for people who hate PVP?

Post by Mastr » January 17th, 2017, 7:57 am

I love pve, I hate pvp.

I understand that some like it but it's just not for me. Now that there are two pets that require a grind on alliance and horde characters to Prestige level 7, I was wondering if there were any weird tricks to make the grind a little easier (apart from doing real pvp of course).

I clear the towers each day and the 500 honor reward quests when I can. Doing just that will take MONTHS to get to level 7 X2.

I want the cute pets NOW!!

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Re: Any honor grinding tips for people who hate PVP?

Post by Noel » January 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

Do the three tower quests every day. There's one more for 500 honor but its a grief fest if you're not a pvper. I have been doing them every day on each faction and while boring they do award 300 honor a pop so you should average a level a day or so. The bad news is for the Dutiful pets you'll need 350 levels :)

If you can stomach it, the first win of the day in random BGs is 300, and the 500 honor world quest will give you another approximate level a day...I totally skip them mostly though.

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » January 17th, 2017, 9:39 am

I highly recommend using World Quest Group Finder. It will make all the tower quests go way quicker, and on top of that, it makes the FFA PVP totally doable and virtually painless.

At first, I only wanted to use WQGF for the FFA PVP quests but then I just started using it for everything. It just makes everything go faster.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » January 17th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Some classes has Class Hall Upgrades that allow you to complete one WQ every 18 hours. Death Knight has Frost Wyrm. Mage has Might of Dalaran. Warlock and Warrior too.

Plant your guild banner for the extra 50 Honor and do the 500 Honor quest with your instant complete talent every day. 550 free Honor a day will help.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » January 17th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Ravyn wrote:I highly recommend using World Quest Group Finder. It will make all the tower quests go way quicker, and on top of that, it makes the FFA PVP totally doable and virtually painless.

At first, I only wanted to use WQGF for the FFA PVP quests but then I just started using it for everything. It just makes everything go faster.
This helps out so much. I did my first horde prestige and half or my alli prestige without and found out about WQGF and now it's quick and relatively easy that I'm able to do all the pvp WQ on both sides (I'm at roughly 2.5 prestige on both now). Make sure to do the 500 honor WQ that are on the 6 hour CD as that'll get you 2+ levels per day with the addition of the 3 tower quests.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » January 18th, 2017, 2:25 am

This is still incredibly slow, based on my progress so far, I'm predicting ill have both toons (one horde, one alliance) at prestige level 7 sometime early in the next decade. Im going to have to suppliment this with actual pvp if i want these pets befor ethe end of the expansion (when I assume they will likely be removed). So i was wondering:

Is it better to que for random BGs in terms of honor/hr, or would i be better off only queuing for specific BGs that award more honor (like AV)? Some of the BG's award almost no honor if you lose while some seem to award decent honor even when you lose.

Do PVP zones like Toll Barad give decent honor? Better than BG queing as far as honor per hour?

Does Arena or Rated BG's award enough additional honor over non-rated BGs to make it worth holding my nose and trying to learn to become a "real pvp'r?"

Ravyn
Top Rater

Post by Ravyn » January 18th, 2017, 8:32 am

It is pretty slow if you only do the pvp world quests. Typically I try to win one random battleground a day. I don't have anyone that wants to do arenas with me so I haven't really done any arena this expansion. It's definitely worth it to win at least five battlegrounds during the battleground event week.

Sometimes I queue for AV just for the heck of it, but usually only after I've won my random battleground for the day. I wouldn't call myself a pvper though, so this is just me sharing my experience. I'm only about halfway through prestige 2 now, maybe less, because I took a really long pvp break after I got my alliance enthusiast, which I regret. This is definitely one of those things where you just have to stick to it and get it done every day.

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » January 18th, 2017, 9:19 am

That's what I was afraid of. Looks like all I will be doing this expansion is making sure these quests get done every day and doing as much PVP as I can stomach.

Perhaps next expansion I can go back to PVE

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » January 18th, 2017, 9:56 am

Hawg wrote:This is still incredibly slow, based on my progress so far, I'm predicting ill have both toons (one horde, one alliance) at prestige level 7 sometime early in the next decade. Im going to have to suppliment this with actual pvp if i want these pets befor ethe end of the expansion (when I assume they will likely be removed). So i was wondering:

Is it better to que for random BGs in terms of honor/hr, or would i be better off only queuing for specific BGs that award more honor (like AV)? Some of the BG's award almost no honor if you lose while some seem to award decent honor even when you lose.

Do PVP zones like Toll Barad give decent honor? Better than BG queing as far as honor per hour?

Does Arena or Rated BG's award enough additional honor over non-rated BGs to make it worth holding my nose and trying to learn to become a "real pvp'r?"
Even though it's slow, it's like 5-6 months of doing WQ if you're able to knock it all out daily. I'm in no rush and don't think the next expansion is going to be released anytime soon. I'd rather go for the guaranteed honor and venture into skirmishes/BG when those weeks come around. I just do both sides WQ daily + emissary and that's time commitment grind that I feel is good for me.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » January 18th, 2017, 9:56 am

Maybe we should be making some cross-realm rated BG honor farming teams? I'm sure we could learn.

Erdinger
Pet Score:12848
BattleTag®:Goldhaar#2899
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Erdinger » January 18th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I'd be happy to team up with you if you're looking for some totally stress-free, no rating-pressure pvp to speed up the grind a little.

The first 2v2 win each day is 200 honor, and then another 100 for the subsequent ones, which is a fairly fast way of getting honor considering the queues are instant and a match lasts about 30 seconds and even if it might take a few, or sometimes several, attempts, we'll have that/those win(s) before long :)

I'm also doing random bg's all the time and more or less all WQ's

Once you've done a few bg's and stuff, you'll start getting pvp missions like win 5 arenas, do ashran, or win a bg, from the class hall and those boost the honor gain further, I believe.

I'm an alliance mage, btw :)

Ravyn
Top Rater

Post by Ravyn » January 19th, 2017, 5:08 am

I'm also up for some stress-free no-pressure stuff. My battle tag is Nona#2146. Oh, and alliance Holy Priest :)

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » January 24th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but during the Operation: Murloc Freedom PvP quest, there are timeworn jars you can collect for timeworn artifacts and turn into the King which net honor points. Now, I haven't checked to see if you can collect them outside of the WQ time, but I just did the WQ in 10 minutes, and the Timeworn jars, which award the timeworn artifacts you turn in, netted me an additional 400 honour. They respawn faster than the mobs, and even if only during that time, if you were to make a farming team to collect those and turn them in while providing security from PvPers, you can get a lot of points.

As an aside, went back after completing the quest, you can still get and turn in timeworn artifacts for honor points. I'll have to check when it's not scheduled for that area. Might be able to farm them when there are no PvPers there if you can.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » January 24th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Operation: Murloc Freedom not up for me this evening so checked it out. The good part is that you don't get ganked repeatedly, bad part is there are no jars either sitting around or dropping from Naga kills. Apparently they do only happen during the PvP WQ.

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » January 31st, 2017, 11:35 am

Those 500 point world quests including Bareback Brawl and Murlocs don't just reset daily, they reset every 6 hours. On my server they reset at 10 am/pm and 4 am/pm. That means you only need to log on twice a day just before the reset to do the quest that is up and then do the one after the reset. Grouping up using the new group finding tool makes these quests a breeze to get done, they never take longer than 5 minutes now. That way you get 2000 honor points a day plus the 900 for the 3 300 tower quests.
Even on days I work I can get 3 500 quests a day done.
2400-2900 honor a day isn't bad without that much investment of time.

Does anyone know how many total honor points it takes to get one prestige level?

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 31st, 2017, 1:12 pm

I am not into PVP at all, once I even did a flying leap off a tall cliff to my death to avoid PVP.

I have two level 110 demon hunters, one on each side of the fence, horde and alliance. Both have the order hall advancement of letting you do one World Quest (WQ for short) instantly from the Map every 18 hours at the cost of 100 resources. I always use it on the current 500 honor WQs. I do try to do some of the 300 honor Tower WQs as well and probably have done maybe 40ish of those, between all my characters, and have yet to see any opposition doing those. Not to say it doesn't happen, but for a PVPer to get his PVP fix, those seem to be an undesirable place to get it.

By the way, the Order Hall advancement I mentioned is not limited to Demon Hunters, also able to purchase this advancement are... If I remember right... Warriors, Death Knights, Warlocks, Paladins and Mages. It is an option for the 5th tier of the advancements. This at first seemed like a waste of a choice but after getting my first (nearly)free 500 Honor I was hooked. 8-)
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 31st, 2017, 2:19 pm

Mastr wrote:Does anyone know how many total honor points it takes to get one prestige level?
according to a post I found at [url=http://www.wowhead.com/legion-pvp-overview]legion-pvp-overview[/url] it was orignally 50,000 Honor. Sometime later they reduced the early levels, but didn't really reduce the over all total needed. Originally all the levels from 1 to 10 were 750 honor.

According to a couple follow up posts

Level 1-2: 350 to next level = 700 Honor
Level 3-4: 450 to next level = 900 Honor
Level 5-6: 550 to next level = 1100 Honor
Level 7-8: 650 to next level = 1300 Honor
Level 9-10: 750 to next level = 1500 Honor
Level 11-20: 875 to next level = 8750 Honor
Level 21-30: 1000 to next level = 10000 Honor
Level 31-40: 1125 to next level = 11250 Honor
Level 41-49: 1250 to next level = 11250 Honor (only 9 levels here since you don't have to grind to level 51)

This totals to 46750 experience

This is just info I got from the link I provided, if the math is not right or the levels are not as stated then the total could be wrong. It seems to be very close in any case.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » January 31st, 2017, 3:47 pm

At 3110 honor per day just from doing the 3 towers and the 4 other pvp WQs that are on a 6hr reset it takes 15 days to do one prestige level.

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » January 31st, 2017, 4:54 pm

If Blizzard is going to "hotfix" anything they should consider lowering the required Rank 7 to Rank 4/5.
I complete every WQ every single day and ran battlegrounds during the bonus week until my eyes almost bled.
Currently, I am Rank 2, level 32. BAH! What an unrealistic grind!
It was easier to finish the whole entire Part One of Legion flying.