sky-bo vs. Darkmoon vs. Clockwork

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Technodruid
Pet Score:902
Realm:Lightbringer-us
sky-bo vs. Darkmoon vs. Clockwork

Post by Technodruid » December 31st, 2016, 7:35 am

Hi all!
I love the website, and its given me an added appreciate for the pet battles.
I've been following advice, and now i'm stuck.
I'm almost finished my 2nd round of leveling,
and almost have 3 rares of every kind

mechanical..
I LOVE Clockwork Gnome!
I think the "Build Turret" is awesome.
yet. and here it comes..

BUT...

Darkmoon Tonk is a heavy hitter in what' i've seen so far.
Clockwork just doesn't hmmm survive all that well.

Now, I just got Sky-Bo from Blingtron!
and i want to level him,
because I see his stats, and he has more damage than the other 2.
again... BUT,
see the "battle ratting" is completely different than from my own personal experiences.

When i sort the pet search function, Clockwork is 4.17, Darkmoon is 4.15, and sky-bo is only 3.55

So, i'm asking here in the forms what your personal experiences are.
based upon the search function, even though sky-bo has more damage, people think he's not as great as the other 2.
so to me he's not worth leveling all that much.

thanks for any insight you can provide!!

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: sky-bo vs. Darkmoon vs. Clockwork

Post by Paladance » December 31st, 2016, 10:00 am

[pet]Sky-Bo[/pet] comes in two "extreme" breeds, a powerful and a fast one. Each of them proves itself when used for specific purposes, but goes south when you need that another one.
Also, a nerf factor. 7.0 changes have had damaging consequences to personal pet reliabilities, exceeding issues they were addressed to. It's an opinion, of course -- but I'm sure it's reasonably shared.

Still, it isn't a very popular pet, indeed. Perhaps that's also due to the RNG involved to get it what makes using the full potential even harder. The other individuals just have been faster (not in a stat value sense) to occupy the niche. :P
The rating system is pretty out of date anyway.

Both of the other mentioned mechs are pretty much textbook tools, especially the Gnome. You should probably have liked a [pet]Draenei Micro Defender[/pet] aswell.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » December 31st, 2016, 11:26 am

I really wouldn't pay any attention to the battle ratings, to be honest. It is an almost arbitrary system. We don't know how users determine their ratings and, furthermore, when abilities get nerfed or new pets introduce interesting and new synergies, these ratings usually don't get updated.

I like to use Sky-Bo in PvP battles (sticky grenade is unavoidable), but I don't use it so much in PvE. For that reason, I'd recommend you level the Darkmoon Tonk because the combination of Shock and Awe + Ion Cannon is a really useful trick when you're facing a PvE opponent that needs to go down quickly.

Two other really useful mechanicals are the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (MPD) and the Darkmoon Zeppelin. MPD is a great counter for magic pets while the Zeppelin can take a beating and do some respectable explode damage, which is excellent for leveling lowbie pets on trainers.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 31st, 2016, 12:11 pm

If we are to mention all Mechs, also an [pet]Iron Starlette[/pet] (P/S mainly, but some like H/H… check yourself) or (with a longer set-up) [pet]Runeforged Servitor[/pet].

I've tried to do things with H/P [pet]Ultratonk[/pet] (It's funny. All abilities hit hard and most of them require additional time.), but it neither hits hard enough to make it quick, nor has enough HP to ensure all stuff is launched. Has anyone tried out the H/H one?

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » December 31st, 2016, 2:30 pm

thanks so much for your replies everyone!
I was starting to suspect the issues involved with the "battle rating",
thanks for confirming.
When i'm done leveling this guys,
I think i'm going to ask in the forums which ones I should level next! lol!
thanks again!

and with regards to the version I have of sky-bo, I have the P/O sooo. i'm even more inclined to level him.
Paladance wrote: You should probably have liked a [pet]Draenei Micro Defender[/pet] aswell.
confused by this. do you think I SHOULD get it?

I also got a P/P of Iron starlette, hopefully that wasn't a bad choice.

but compared to the others, how good is the Runeforged Servitor? I just bought it at the AH.

I'll also look into getting the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (MPD) and the Darkmoon Zeppelin.

thanks all for your help!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 31st, 2016, 3:45 pm

I love mechanical pets, they're the first trio I leveled. But I'm probably also biased in terms of what I like about the family - which is hard hits.

Of the 3 listed Sky-Bo is the one I used to use the most. I have an S/S. It's been nerfed this xpac so you can't spam Sticky Gears anymore but the speed + Decoy still make it a semi-durable pet.

Right now I'd say Darkmoon Tonk is probably the most useful of the three, it's such a hard hitter.

If you love hard hits a P/P Iron Starlette can pretty much take out any pet in 1 giant hit. Sure it's slow but you only need it to survive long enough to deliver that blow, and the family racial helps tremendously with that.

MPD and the Zeppelin are also good mechanical pets to have, as Decoy is really just a great ability for many situations. MPD is strong against Magic so it's a great choice to take down Magic pets.

So overall I'd say... level all of those!

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 31st, 2016, 4:29 pm

Technodruid wrote:
Paladance wrote: You should probably have liked a [pet]Draenei Micro Defender[/pet] aswell.
confused by this. do you think I SHOULD get it?
Not in an "as soon as possible" way (unless you aim for Beasts of Fable, however bad it sounds), just after reading your preferences I thought it might be an interesting one to you. :)

Runeforged Servitor is just a more messy alternative to Iron Starlette. I don't even have proper numbers. :oops:

Besides, yay MPD and Zeppelin aswell, of course. I just don't like repeating the others like I were the first one to say a particular thing. :lol:

Grolorm
Pet Score:2200
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Grolorm » December 31st, 2016, 6:28 pm

No love for the sunreaver micro sentry?

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » December 31st, 2016, 6:54 pm

So, I bought a few of them, and now i'm debating what the next leveling path I should take with them.

if anyone could set the order of my effort of leveling them,
I'd really appreciate it!

For my next round I'll be focusing on 3 of them at a time,
its exhausting at times doing so many at once,
and I like to alter doing the pet battles, and world quests,
leveling up the lower ones on my way to doing each of the world quests.
At least one of the mech's for me has to be in the top 3, but not to sure which one.

[Stormborne Whelpling] - lvl 10
[Strand Crab] - lvl 10
[Dark Phoenix Hatchling] - lvl 9
[Lil' Tarecgosa] - lvl 9
[Ore Eater] - lvl 9
[Cinder Pup] - lvl 2
[Draenei Micro Defender] - lvl 1
[Emmigosa] - lvl 1
[Firebat Pup] - lvl 1
[Iron Starlette] - lvl 1
[Nightmare Lasher] - lvl 1
[Pygmy Owl] - lvl 1
[Runeforged Servitor] - lvl 1
[Sky-Bo] - lvl 1
[Terrible Turnip] - lvl 1

OH! and i'm on my way to pandoria to do the pet tamers, so I plan on getting a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling ?

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » December 31st, 2016, 7:21 pm

Do you have a Nexus Whelpling? If not, you could either go tame one in Coldarra (level 20-22) or just level the Stormborne Whelpling. If you decide to pick up a Nexus Whelpling, you can pick up an S/S Arctic Hare while you're there. They are both very useful pets.

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 1st, 2017, 6:27 am

Ravyn wrote:Do you have a Nexus Whelpling? If not, you could either go tame one in Coldarra (level 20-22) or just level the Stormborne Whelpling. If you decide to pick up a Nexus Whelpling, you can pick up an S/S Arctic Hare while you're there. They are both very useful pets.
Hi Ravyn, YEP! that list is my 2nd round of rares that i'm trying to bring to 25. I love the Nexus Whelpling, nd his cool magical shooting! I find he's a heavy hitter a lot of the times. he's at lvl 25.

he's another example as to confusion to the battle rating: he's lower than he should be. BUT, I do admit there have been a few fights with some heavy hitters (no wilds) that he died before he can get his last blast in... I like it when he totals one, and his last blast goes to the next guy. lol!!!

I do have an alpine hare, that's S/S, but didn't level him. you say I should? should he be my 2nd round of 3 rares? or 3rd round?

http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Technodruid/

thanks!

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » January 1st, 2017, 1:15 pm

My first thought is that you should finish off your Anubisath Idol and Teroclaw Hatchling. They are key pets for many strats.

On your actual list above, Iron Starlette is the one that jumps out at me and screams LEVEL ME NAOW!

You have a Blue level 6 S/S Alpine Hare. I'd put that on the shortlist.

The Terrible Turnip isn't a priority, because you already have a Molten Corgi for taming.

I'd invest some time in capturing a P/P Emperor Crab before spending any levelling the H/H Strand Crab. (Also good pet XP in Dread Wastes while you do it!)

I don't see any pet on the rest of your list that I use for PvE, so I have no opinions about the order for the rest. I have used an S/S Sky-Bo and an Ore Eater for PvP, but I think the P/P breeds you have will be mostly better for PvE.

Darkmoon is on. It would be worth chasing down a Crow there this week. Really, any breed will do for your first one.

Yes, a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is one of the essentials.

Also, pick up an Ikky, either from the quest in Warlords or the AH. They're so cheap, they pay you to give them a home. Now that Howlbomb is not what it was, a combination of Curse of Doom+Haunt+Black Claw+Flock is much used to take down "boss" pets.

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 1st, 2017, 5:41 pm

My first thought is that you should finish off your Anubisath Idol and Teroclaw Hatchling.
YEP!!! they're lvl25 now. man are they heavy hitters!!!
On your actual list above, Iron Starlette i
-- Great thanks! will be on my 3rd "level up" list!
You have a Blue level 6 S/S Alpine Hare. I'd put that on the shortlist.

- yea. I was thinking that too!
The Terrible Turnip isn't a priority, because you already have a Molten Corgi for taming.

-- I actually played against the terrible turnip today and noticed it has the same moves as my Molten Corgi. I love that move! So I will wait until the next round to level the turnip up.
I'd invest some time in capturing a P/P Emperor Crab before spending any levelling the H/H Strand Crab. (Also good pet XP in Dread Wastes while you do it!)
- Ok. so I will go and start focusing on getting the emperor crab., and thanks for the tip! I can do 2 birds at once!
I don't see any pet on the rest of your list that I use for PvE, so I have no opinions about the order for the rest. I have used an S/S Sky-Bo and an Ore Eater for PvP, but I think the P/P breeds you have will be mostly better for PvE.
-I'm not really interested in doing the PvP, other players, and will only be playing the PvE until they're done, and I wait for the next warcraft upgrade. so I will also upgrade my Ore Eater, BUT I have a P/P Sky-bo. is that an issue you think? I could go buy one from the AH if I have to.
Darkmoon is on. It would be worth chasing down a Crow there this week. Really, any breed will do for your first one.

-- ok so a crab and a crow. will do, before I start to level the others. hmm or while I do that is.
Yes, a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is one of the essentials.
-- I guess the only way you can get them is the AH, or know someone that can make them.
Also, pick up an Ikky, either from the quest in Warlords or the AH. They're so cheap, they pay you to give them a home. Now that Howlbomb is not what it was, a combination of Curse of Doom+Haunt+Black Claw+Flock is much used to take down "boss" pets.
-- ok considered it done.

thank you very much for the time and effort you took to write this. I really do appreciate it!

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 1st, 2017, 5:51 pm

Gráinne wrote: Yes, a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is one of the essentials.

Also, pick up an Ikky, either from the quest in Warlords or the AH. T.
just bought them from the AH, thanks again!!

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » January 2nd, 2017, 4:16 am

Another thing about the Emperor Crab - it will be level 22 or 23 after you capture it, so it won't need much levelling.

I just want to clarify what I meant about Sky-Bo and Ore Eater. In both cases, the P/P breed is generally going to be better for PvE than the S/S breed, and the S/S breed is going to be better for PvP than the P/P breed. You have the P/P, so since you're into PvE at the moment, that is good; you have the better breed.

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 2nd, 2017, 5:08 am

Gráinne wrote:Another thing about the Emperor Crab - it will be level 22 or 23 after you capture it, so it won't need much levelling. You have the P/P, so since you're into PvE at the moment, that is good; you have the better breed.
thanks for the clarification. I got an emperor Crab, and thew a rare stone at it.

as far as I know there is no difference from finding a rare and putting a stone on it. right?

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » January 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

There is no difference between a "natural" rare, and a "stoned" rare [*].

The stats on a pet are based on a formula, taking the base stats for the species, add in extra stats according to the breed, and multiply them up by level and quality. Gory details here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/

There is no factor in that equation for the source of the levelling or the source of the rarity. All Level 25 Blue P/P Emperor Crabs have exactly the same stats, no matter whether they were levelled by stones or in battle, and whether they were born Blue, or Blue was thrust upon them.

[*] ... except maybe the stoned one is mellower. ;P

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 2nd, 2017, 10:39 am

Gráinne wrote:
[*] ... except maybe the stoned one is mellower. ;P
Soooo, that's why I like stoning my pets! HA!
awesome pun!!!

Paladance

Post by Paladance » January 2nd, 2017, 1:19 pm

We will, we will rock you!

I'd like to also remind you that in your previous thread about damage types we've mentioned some nice pets aswell. Hope we don't have to inventing a wheel again! :P

(I know, I know, I sound like a bad cop anyway. LF a volunteer to occupy that role themselves. :P Ha?)

Technodruid

Post by Technodruid » January 2nd, 2017, 1:35 pm

Paladance wrote:We will, we will rock you!

I'd like to also remind you that in your previous thread about damage types we've mentioned some nice pets aswell. Hope we don't have to inventing a wheel again! :P
YEP! I'm just wanting to be "official" with myself and have 3 rares of each type before I go after the heavy hitters.