Best Place to Grind Pet Levels?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dngnb8
Pet Score:7304
Realm:Whisperwind-us
Re: Best Place to Grind Pet Levels?

Post by Dngnb8 » December 13th, 2016, 9:38 am

Gráinne wrote:For a given pet battle, there will be a fixed amount of pet XP for winning. That amount of XP depends on the levels of all the pets, aand the difficulty factor of the battle. Details here:
Jerebear wrote:Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=8829
If a battle rewards 1000 XP, that XP will be shared among all eligible pets in that battle.

25s are not eligible for XP. Pets that were not in at the end of a round are not eligible for XP.

If you have one 25 and two carries, that 1000 would be shared among the two carries.

If you have two 25s and one carry, that 1000 will all go to the one carry.
IF that is the case, how do you explain a level 1 getting only a 98 xp boost from doing the daily menagerie battle? I had 2 25's and a level 1. In the end, 1 level 25 and a level 1. 98xp. That was with the safari hat.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 13th, 2016, 12:12 pm

The garrison tamer battles had almost all their XP removed in 6.1, except for Squirt. Jerebear's XP reference guide does mention that.

Squirt is the one garrison battle left that gives worthwhile XP - you can level something like 6 pets per hour - so when Squirt Day comes, anyone with a batch of pets to level can do multi-hour sessions. Not much fun, but rewarding.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Cluey » December 13th, 2016, 1:35 pm

I haven't gone out specifically to level pets since I first got into it and even then it was just to level the right pet to beat whatever I was stuck on while learning. Occasionally I'll use Squirt if I happen to be bored and it's the right day but I've run out of targets now.

Ever since I worked out to carry a L1 pet on tamers I haven't bothered with wild battles, I'd just do a circuit a day - well most days.
I'd always get the to L24 and then stop, when I had a few I'd finish leveling them around the original BMAH. I can't remember what the zone is called, just over the hill from the Alliance Shrine of the Seven Stars.

As a result of all these tamer battles I have more pet specific upgrade stones than I can use, over a stack of most of them with the exception of beast and flying. I'm quite disappointed they keep adding new pets which start as rare. :?

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 14th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Dngnb8 wrote:
Gráinne wrote:For a given pet battle, there will be a fixed amount of pet XP for winning. That amount of XP depends on the levels of all the pets, aand the difficulty factor of the battle. Details here:
Jerebear wrote:Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
IF that is the case, how do you explain a level 1 getting only a 98 xp boost from doing the daily menagerie battle? I had 2 25's and a level 1. In the end, 1 level 25 and a level 1. 98xp. That was with the safari hat.
Posted about that the previous post to this one. I'm inclined to believe that these bonus points thing is changed and that in the Garrison itself, you can not get much, unless it is the Squirt fight, which I think may end up getting the nerf anyway sooner or later. Jerebear's information appears to be at least one year old, possibly more, and would have to be validated and double checked again.

Someone told me, that I cast something, instead of nothing, that it could affect things and at that point it is just a percentage of the damage, not a bonus? I have given up, doing this in the Garrison, other than Squirt ... it's not clear how or why it happens on some and not the others, and we do not have logs.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 14th, 2016, 4:15 pm

The Garrison Menagerie has been actually nerfed pretty fast, at the peak of WoD, with Squirt intact. It was even mentioned in the Jere's thread by mine and that was several weeks after the change.

She herself might have been buffed or nerfed. /shrug

We have her today, she gives 3625 exp to L1 pets with no bonuses.

(EDIT: The other exceptions are Eleanor, Stitches Jr. and The Beakinator, all giving "default" lone pet value. I still use them to complete a nigh-end late pet level, or during Sign of the Critter. Quint, however, gives almost no experience, even in comparison to other ones -- be if of her pet being the only one or a separate mean.)

To be honest I find Legion overwhelming absorbing enough to spend hours on pets. I'm already very behind the others, though some weeks without the expansion have done a thing aswell. :oops:
Last edited by Paladance on December 14th, 2016, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 14th, 2016, 8:20 pm

As a side note, I do apologize for the low quality of the experience guide in general. I am not a very good writer and I am juggling 10-12 hour work days, so I can't always get to it every night anymore. I will try my best, but please have patience. I do have a Legion update coming, I am collecting data. I'm just balancing it with playing my character normally as well.
Uduwudu wrote: Posted about that the previous post to this one. I'm inclined to believe that these bonus points thing is changed and that in the Garrison itself, you can not get much, unless it is the Squirt fight, which I think may end up getting the nerf anyway sooner or later. Jerebear's information appears to be at least one year old, possibly more, and would have to be validated and double checked again.
I've been regularly updating (I even had an update just yesterday). I haven't yet added in the WQ tamers cause I am still verifying the EXP gains on each and they are kinda random when they spawn vs when I am on. If you look at the end of the thread though, I have some data posted already (mostly so I can find it when I get it all together for the guide).

That said, in the menagerie section I had made sure to put that only Squirt gives meaningful exp. I'd have to go back and retest, but if I remember right the menagerie battles minus 4 of them (and of course Squirt) have a tamer bonus on the order of T=0.1 (compare that to T=3.0 for squirt). The other 4 battles (single pet bosses like Sticthes Jr and Archimedes) had at best EXP equivalent to fighting a single wild pet. In a couple of the cases they had a further nerf. I can add more verbage to that section if it helps.

None of the equations should have changed, even in over a year. There haven't been any nerfs to old that I have observed yet (aside from Crysa and the Shipwrecked captive, but they are new), but let me know if you do come across some. Just please be sensitive to the notion that sometimes we miss things. 99% of the time when a person notices a nerf to old pet battle content, it can pretty easily be explained (some hidden mechanic they weren't aware of or most recently comparing pet battle week EXP to other weeks...not in your case, but just for example sake).
Uduwudu wrote: Someone told me, that I cast something, instead of nothing, that it could affect things and at that point it is just a percentage of the damage, not a bonus? I have given up, doing this in the Garrison, other than Squirt ... it's not clear how or why it happens on some and not the others, and we do not have logs.
Whomever told you this might have been confused somewhat. IF your pet is the first pet in the team and you immediately swap it out (my interpretation of the "do nothing") you won't get any EXP for the pet. However, there are no mechanics in battle that reduce EXP except for if you capture a wild enemy pet mid battle. Aside from that, no matter how you play out the battle, there is no way to degrade the amount of EXP gained. You can either gain all of it or none of it. The specific mechanic that allows a pet to get EXP is "it needs to be active at the end of a round". Various ways of doing this include:
1. Attack or Pass with the pet (doesn't matter which)
2. When another pet dies, selecting the low level pet to replace it. NOTE: here you can actually immediately swap out the low level pet and it will count because the act of selecting a new pet after one dies finishes a round and the new pet is counted as "active"
3. Swapping in a pet manually even though another pet didn't die.
4. Ending the battle in such a way that it forces the low level pet to the front line. A very popular method executing this is the "explode" method, where you use your first pet until it dies, then use the 2nd pet up until the last enemy is in kill range, and then explode. Even though the low level pet was never used, the fact that the other two pets on your team is dead will force the low level pet out at the very end and it will get EXP
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Dngnb8
Pet Score:7304
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Dngnb8 » December 16th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Uduwudu wrote:Posted about that the previous post to this one. I'm inclined to believe that these bonus points thing is changed and that in the Garrison itself, you can not get much, unless it is the Squirt fight, which I think may end up getting the nerf anyway sooner or later. Jerebear's information appears to be at least one year old, possibly more, and would have to be validated and double checked again.

Someone told me, that I cast something, instead of nothing, that it could affect things and at that point it is just a percentage of the damage, not a bonus? I have given up, doing this in the Garrison, other than Squirt ... it's not clear how or why it happens on some and not the others, and we do not have logs.

Then Erris the Pet Collector wouldnt give huge bonus, and she does. That being said

The 2 pet explode strat doesnt leave anything to chance. 99/100 battles can be handled this way from an AI standpoint. JMHO, the Darkmoon Zepplin is best for this because it has both Explode and Decoy.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 16th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Dngnb8 wrote:Then Erris the Pet Collector wouldnt give huge bonus, and she does.
Because the Erris/Kura battle is a normal tamer daily (including giving credit for a weekly, but I haven't seen an unbugged weekly for ages :lol:) and can't be repeated… usually.

For some two months or so there was a bug that allowed to repeat the battles and she was temporarily nerfed. Then the experience went back during some patch if I recall correctly.

Compare Shipwrecked Captive (actually treated a bit milder).

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 16th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Dngnb8 wrote: ...
Then Erris the Pet Collector wouldnt give huge bonus, and she does. That being said ...
No issues with Erris or Kura at all ... those seem to have been OK for me. It's just the actual daily fights in the pit, that are rather inconsistent, is probably the word I should have used before. I only get XP from Squirt on a regular basis.

Much thanks and appreciation for Jerebear and Paladance for the sleigh bells with information!

Iopos
Pet Score:4510
BattleTag®:Kratas#1418
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Iopos » December 16th, 2016, 11:02 pm

The "Beasts of Burden" pet battle World Quest in Stormheim can also be quite good for levelling pets in one spot. If you have an Iron Starlette, put your pet to be levelled out first against the trainer with the ox. Swap out after your first pet either does a move or passes the first round and bring in the iron starlette. Windup, Supercharge then keep using windup. Rinse and repeat with the same trainer, since the world quest doesn't complete until you beat both. The XP isn't as good as the MoP daily trainer fights, but you have the benefit of not having to go anywhere.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 17th, 2016, 10:08 am

Iopos wrote:The "Beasts of Burden" pet battle World Quest in Stormheim can also be quite good for levelling pets in one spot. If you have an Iron Starlette, put your pet to be levelled out first against the trainer with the ox. Swap out after your first pet either does a move or passes the first round and bring in the iron starlette. Windup, Supercharge then keep using windup. Rinse and repeat with the same trainer, since the world quest doesn't complete until you beat both. The XP isn't as good as the MoP daily trainer fights, but you have the benefit of not having to go anywhere.
That's one I haven't had a chance to test yet. I had heard it got nerfed recently. Any EXP numbers I can catalog? would need carry pet level, EXP gained, and any buffs you use for EXP

Sto650
Pet Score:3983
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Sto650 » December 23rd, 2016, 2:40 am

Best place I know of is Vale of Eternal Blossoms, using the Eternal striders. There are several sets of spawns along the river in the middle, and at each end of the river.

They usually dont start with an attack, so you can open with a level 1 safely.

Also, if you do all your food buffs and safari hat, during the bonus event, you will get to level 13 in 2 battles. After that, all it takes is one trainer, any trainer, and you will hit 25.

So, summary version during bonus event: 2 regular pet battles to get to 13, then one trainer. BAM level 25.

Note: I suggest not doing it in that order. Do a bunch of level 1 pets to level 13, and then once you have a pile of 13's, travel around to the trainers.

Edmuir
Pet Score:4542
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Edmuir » December 23rd, 2016, 2:24 pm

@Sto650

If you're speaking of the little ditch there beside Aki the Chosen, you can use an MPD Explode strat to level 2 pets at a time. In my experience, that will work 90% of the time and only fails if the enemy team gets a few criticals. Might save some time that way during critter week.

Rotoboy
Pet Score:5414
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Rotoboy » December 23rd, 2016, 2:49 pm

Jerebear wrote:That's one I haven't had a chance to test yet. I had heard it got nerfed recently. Any EXP numbers I can catalog? would need carry pet level, EXP gained, and any buffs you use for EXP
I spent a bit of time battling Andurs yesterday when the Beasts of Burden world quest was up. I used the [pet]Iron Starlette[/pet] and a strategy posted by Wowhead user brunokbcao in the quest comment section.

They recommended using the following abilities, which worked great and allowed you to carry two pets almost 100% of the time. The only time this failed, for me anyway, was when Mini Musken scored a series of crits. I think it happened once during the hour or so I was there.

Round 1: [ability]Toxic Smoke[/ability]
Round 2: [ability]Wind-Up[/ability]
Round 3: [ability]Toxic Smoke[/ability]
Round 4: [ability]Wind-Up[/ability]
Round 5: [ability]Explode[/ability]

As for experience, while using the Safari Hat, both treats, and carrying two level one pets, I was getting the following.

2791 exp - levels 1 - 9
3638 exp - levels 9 - 13
3600 exp - levels 13 - 16
3369 exp - levels 16 - 19
2965 exp - levels 19 - 21
2599 exp - levels 21 - 22
2387 exp - levels 22 - 23
2156 exp - levels 23 - 24
380 exp - level 24 - 25

Hope that helps.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 23rd, 2016, 8:20 pm

Rotoboy wrote: 2791 exp - levels 1 - 9
3638 exp - levels 9 - 13
3600 exp - levels 13 - 16
3369 exp - levels 16 - 19
2965 exp - levels 19 - 21
2599 exp - levels 21 - 22
2387 exp - levels 22 - 23
2156 exp - levels 23 - 24
380 exp - level 24 - 25

Hope that helps.
Thanks. That confirms they have a T=5.0 tamer bonus. Those numbers are the even split EXP between both your carries.