Best Place to Grind Pet Levels?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Koshka
Pet Score:1637
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Best Place to Grind Pet Levels?

Post by Koshka » November 24th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I am curious as to where is the best place to grind pet levels. I am not looking to have to travel around to a lot of trainers.

In MOP, I leveled a bunch of pets and several characters in Kun Lai Summit at the hill where the goats are. It has the advantage of not having mobs close by so you can take a low level character there to safely level.

And, that is still an option. But, I've long since captured all the rares there and I'm sick of it and wondered if there are better options. I have 2 characters I can use:

1. Level 64 hunter. She can do this in Pandaria, for example, but has to do it somewhere there aren't mobs around. Using her to do this will help level her as well as the pets. I did level her for awhile on Kun Lai summit. She also was parked at Farmer Nishi for awhile and she would do that battle every day and do some of the wild pets around there. But, due to her level, she couldn't search very far for wild pets so I wasn't able to do high volume leveling there.

2. Some level 100 alt. I have a few level 100 alts that I haven't quested on. I could use them anywhere including in Legion content to level pets.

I am mostly doing this to level up my pets to 125 so want some place where there are a lot of wild pets I can battle. I can do trainers though if there is one or more close to the leveling area. I have a lot of level 25 pets already so should be able to handle most or all trainers.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Best Place to Grind Pet Levels?

Post by Gráinne » November 24th, 2016, 11:54 pm

I'll list the places I've used, the type of lead pet you face, and the availability of Stable Masters. If you want to know more about what pets are optimal for each, ask.

Wyrmrest Temple. Flyers/Aquatics. Your level 64 might have some aggro from the buzzards, but Stable Master is handy.

Crystalsong Forest. Critters. You can avoid mobs, but no stable master. You do need to run around a bit.

Mount Hyjal, Nordrasssil Inn. Flying/Magic. The lake behind the Inn is teeming with wild pets to battle, with few mobs, and handy SM nearby.

Pandaria, Halfhill. Nishi to Lucky Yi. Critters.

Pandaria, Mistfall and No-No. Aquatics. Handy SM at Mistfall. No mobs at No-No, but several people use that spot, and can soak up all the pets that spawn.

Dread Wastes, beside Gorespine. Like No-No, but with beasts as lead pets.

Draenor. Moonlit Shore, Shadowmoon. Ideal for a low-level, since there are no mobs and you can fly even at 60. Crabs as the lead pet. Horde do have to stay away from the edges where there are Alliance NPCs. No SM nearby, but you can fly.

Draenor. Frostfire Ridge. Icespine Hatchlings. If you have a Rotten Little Helper and Feline Familiar for the optimal strat, it goes very well. Like Moonlit Shore, you can fly, but mobs do run around, though sparsely.

There's a thread just below this http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16530 where someone is grinding in Zul'drak. I went there to check, and I can see that with the right lead pet, it goes very well, and if you can fly to the SM it could be very effective.

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » November 25th, 2016, 10:08 am

Gráinne wrote:I'll list the places I've used, the type of lead pet you face, and the availability of Stable Masters. If you want to know more about what pets are optimal for each, ask.

Pandaria, Halfhill. Nishi to Lucky Yi. Critters.
Go to Halfhill area, it's prime for leveling pets because they almost always have level 22-25 pets that usually heal first/hit soft, and there aren't a lot of other mobs to kill you (you can get around without aggroing, etc).

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » November 25th, 2016, 11:03 am

Hi,

And don't forget to use Ashlei every day, for a push from level 12/13 to 17 or 18 ... and the like. Some folks know how to do it so you can do a lower level, however, I stick with Nether Fae Dragon, and the low pet, and then the Mechanical Dragonling so I can use the block for Tally's charge. Essentially, you can bring a lot of mid levels up further, one a day kind of thing, but it is faster than grinding.
Last edited by Uduwudu on December 7th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Koshka

Post by Koshka » November 25th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Shelli? Where is that?

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » November 26th, 2016, 1:15 am

I think Uduwudu meant Ashlei.

And BTW, the MPD solos Ashlei very nicely with a level 1 or even 2 level 1s, though they split the XP if you use 2.

Decoy
Breath until Pixiebell dies

Swap in Level Pet

Swap back to MPD

Bombing Run
Breath until everything is dead.

Edmuir
Pet Score:4542
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Edmuir » November 26th, 2016, 2:22 pm

That would be me that has been using Zul'drak and yes, it's very good with the right team. The round trip circuit back to the Stable Master takes about 30-ish seconds (with the right team, you only need it occasionally) and the spawns of Water Wavelings are unlike anything I've found anywhere else. There are mobs of larger elementals, but they're very easy to avoid.

You get a very predictable battle and you can level and should get a few lucky Stones along the way. I think I got 4 stones last week leveling several different pets. For simplicty's sake, I settled on a [pet]Slithershock Elver [/pet]+ [pet]Molten Hatchling[/pet] team plus your Lv 5 or so Carry Pet. There are teams that can win the fights faster, but then you end up having to heal a lot more while this team just keeps going. By the time they need healing, you simply use your Revive Pets spell or occasionally zip back to the Stable Master. I haven't tried an area in Panderia yet, but will be doing so soon enough.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » November 28th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Gráinne wrote:I think Uduwudu meant Ashlei.

And BTW, the MPD solos Ashlei very nicely with a level 1 or even 2 level 1s, though they split the XP if you use 2.

Decoy
Breath until Pixiebell dies

Swap in Level Pet

Swap back to MPD

Bombing Run
Breath until everything is dead.
Typo fixed. Thanks.

It's just right off the Alliance Garrison, where some Orcs have stationed themselves. It's one of the 6 dailies, when you get the Battlemasters quest once a week, so you can get 10 Leveling stones (singles), and that means 10 levels, but the extra PC's (2) in these fights are almost worth doing daily, although I only do 3 of them (Shadowmoon, Spires of Araq and Talador), unless I need it for the weekly quest.

Note here. When you get the Battlemasters weekly, immediately cycle through ALL your characters, because you might have one of those extra fights at the Garrison, and it counts as one Battlemaster, and you might not have to do the more difficult ones like the one with Cymre, and sometimes with Tarr.

For Pandaria, I have used the area in the Valley that has all the striders, mostly near both Alliance and Horde locations. On the Jade Forest, up and down the big river is nice. Other than that, I have used the Timeless Isle, and here these fights are easy once you know how to handle them, but be prepared to lose a few as some of the moths KNOW how to start the fight and play the game! In between you can run to the pet repair folks (2 of them).

Dngnb8
Pet Score:7304
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Dngnb8 » November 28th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Check out this explanation. Ashleii is in it

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16486]Battle Pet Tamers 2 Pet explode strat[/url]

Grolorm
Pet Score:2200
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Grolorm » November 29th, 2016, 9:08 am

The undead pet spawns in garrison respawn instantly and are right next to a healer. I ground out quite a few levels during the last 3x exp week. Was a bit surprised to see that they didn't get removed after halloween.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 29th, 2016, 12:40 pm

I still do the MoP + WoD tamer circuit when I need to level a lot of pets. You can do all 17 tamers (sometimes with a bonus 18 Wrath/Northrend tamer) in an hour with the right teams, so it fits nicely into the pet food experience buffs.

If I want to mindlessly grind on wild pets, I still do the icespine hatchlings in Frostfire ridge.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Koshka

Post by Koshka » December 4th, 2016, 12:43 am

Thanks for all the ideas. It is very helpful.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » December 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm

I do MoP dailies on my lower level alts since it's good EXP for both (on the characters that have flying in MoP.) I get them to around 23 or 34 and stop leveling them with those trainers.

On the lower level characters, I run them from the shrine in the vale to that it'll alcove with a pool that's near the daily there. Not exactly where she is, though. It's on the border between Vale and the wastes, tucked up against where that scorpion rare spawns in that little room. There are no mobs there at all so a level 30 with tons of bandages can stay there for a long while. Of course you'll die a ton getting there but after that, you're in the clear.

Oh, and rematch is one of the best addons ever. It makes things so much easier.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » December 7th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Hi,

The best, still is SQUIRT ... and you have to make the time and spot for it.

Put on the Safari Hat ...

Level 1 becomes 11
Level 11 becomes 15 or 16
15/16 becomes 19

I finish with stones usually from the Legion dailies.

So I had something like 45 pets at Level 5, and on the week of the pet battle bonus, Squirt was available, and guess what I did ... over 1000 levels that day, and all of those pets past 15 and 16 and more.

So use the Pet Battle Bonus week, and mark the Calendar for Squirt.

It will make your leveling a lot easier ... however, this will NEVER replace the experience of learning about other pets, and you should really fight the level 23's and 24's in various places to level them, so you know the pets a bit more. The Timeless Isle is excellent for teaching you about 5 or 6 different moths, and how some of them can be very nasty, for example.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » December 8th, 2016, 2:12 am

Dngnb8 wrote:Check out this explanation. Ashleii is in it

Battle Pet Tamers 2 Pet explode strat
I've been using the two pet explode strategies for my daily leveling rounds, because I understood that it results in the level pet getting more experience than the strategies where the two boost pets are still alive at the end. However yesterday on Ashleigh I screwed up and didn't let my boost pet get killed, so both the carry pet and boost pet ended up "sharing" the experience, and I was surprised to see that the leveling pet got the same amount of experience it gets when I correctly execute the 2pet explode strategy.

So my question is, does it really make a difference in how much experience the carry pet gets if one of the boost pets are still alive?

There are still advantages to the 2pet explode strategies (can often take level 1's) and you don't have to swap the Cary pet in for a round, but is there an actual exp bonus?

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 8th, 2016, 6:15 am

Pets that have already made their way to the max lvl don't drain the experience, as there is no further progress bar to be filled.
A player can safely use two level 25 pets to do the dirty work.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » December 8th, 2016, 6:59 am

Ok thanks for the clarification , that gives rise to another question then. If you have two carry pets and only lvl 25, is the amount of exp gained by the two the same as if you had one carry and two lvl 25?

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » December 8th, 2016, 7:56 am

For a given pet battle, there will be a fixed amount of pet XP for winning. That amount of XP depends on the levels of all the pets, aand the difficulty factor of the battle. Details here:
Jerebear wrote:Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=8829
If a battle rewards 1000 XP, that XP will be shared among all eligible pets in that battle.

25s are not eligible for XP. Pets that were not in at the end of a round are not eligible for XP.

If you have one 25 and two carries, that 1000 would be shared among the two carries.

If you have two 25s and one carry, that 1000 will all go to the one carry.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » December 13th, 2016, 8:41 am

Gráinne wrote:For a given pet battle, there will be a fixed amount of pet XP for winning. That amount of XP depends on the levels of all the pets, aand the difficulty factor of the battle.
I'm thinking that a lot of this has been redone, since the majority of pet battles in the Garrison Daily, do not give that extra amount of XP. It has been frustrating to be careful here and there and here and there, and you get the fight over, and your pet got a total of 92 points of experience. Heck ... fighting with 25's, I can power level for 800/900, why bother with these Garrison dailies, if they are worthless?

I tend to PL anything from level 18 and up in Legion, with the right situations ... like a bomb is gone, and the pet is going to hit you for nothing kind of thing, which you come to know quickly ... that rabbit is going to dive, or go invis, and that fawn is going to heal itself ... and you can get a round in easy. AT LEAST, I know that I can get a certain amount of XP for my Pet, instead of going through the effort in the Garrison, and come out with nothing. The only one I have gotten XP on has been Squirt ... and I think a couple of the secondary fights also gave a bit (the extra battles around the pit), but not a whole lot.

And yes ... have the Safari Hat on all the time ... it's precious time and effort when you have hundreds and hundreds of levels to go through to get all to 25. I just got done doing over 2700 (I think it was) levels the past several months. Think about it ... that would be the equivalent of 8100 Pet Charms, and not all pets are Rare yet! YOU GOT to find some leveling help, and Squirt is nice as is Ashlei every day and such.

Dngnb8
Pet Score:7304
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Dngnb8 » December 13th, 2016, 9:35 am

Hawg wrote:There are still advantages to the 2pet explode strategies (can often take level 1's) and you don't have to swap the Cary pet in for a round, but is there an actual exp bonus?
I failed a RNG yesterday and 2 pets were alive. Carry got squat. The biggest benefit is you can carry level 1s so you dont have to level them before speed leveling them. Additionally, you dont have to worry about subbing in for a battle

You can carry a pet to 25 with the 5 warlords in Draenor. However, with the Tamer daily giving 10 marks, and erris the collector giving 3. You can stockpile leveling marks and speed level pets. Do the math, that is 38 levels a day doing the Tamer Warlords daily.

38 Levels in 20 minutes.